What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Oil vs solvent extraction

jen180081

I've been (sucessfully) treating my 6 year old son's mitochondrial disease with cannabis oil for the last year. We don't live in a legal state so I make it myself, based off of information I've found on this site and others. Ive been making it using only coconut oil, mainly because I had no experience with it prior to this and it seemed like the most fail proof way to do it.
My question is.. does using solvents make better medicine than coconut oil alone? I've tried very hard to find the answer to this myself, but can't seem to find the information.
Since, obviously, a solvent extraction is more potent I would be diluting it with coconut oil.. so is the extra step(s) necessary?
Please correct me if I'm wrong..
In my "research" it seems like people prefer solvent extractions for taste and potency, but because they are smoking it. We only use it topically and orally, so taste definitely isn't a factor, and I'll be diluting it because.. you know, has 6 and doesn't need stoned out of his gord.. yet..
Also, I believe, I read on Skunk Parm that oil was the better extraction method because it grabs more THC and CBD.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I'm just a mom trying to help her kid. Everything I've done and learned has been from other people's experiences, which I am forever greatful for.

Chunkypigs

passing the gas
Veteran
if you are following skunk pharms techniques and properly activating/decarb you should be fine.
the taste issue can be bad for some if your extraction is picking up a heavy green.
some patients are irritated by this and it makes them sick to their stomach.

most folks prefer oral cannabis made from activated clean super concentrates that don't taste strong.

at home I find the best results by making ice water hash first, then dissolving in hot everclear, filter, several day freeze then filter in freezer to winterize.
I boil off alcohol per Skunkpharm then decarb in 240 degree oil bath in tared container.

with my starting material I usually estimate 500-650mg in a gram of this for dosing purposes without access to a lab.

jen180081

Thank you for your information!
I'm not really following any specific techniques. Lots of trial and error.
So, when people are referring to taste, it's not necessarily how it tastes inhaling it?
I like the idea of not having to give him such a large amount of oil, because he doesn't love the taste or the texture..
Also, is it easier to control dosage with concentrates? And, how do you come up with the dosage amount? Because that's also trial and error with us :/ When I make a new batch, we start out with 4ml, and go up or down from there based on how he reacts to it.