What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Panic attacks

LUNAROSE

I get terrible anxiety attacks to the point I am nonfunctional. One of the worse symptoms I get a vomiting. As you can imagine that makes eating edibles impossible and toking is impossible if you are hyperventilating. Any ideas any strains ?

Carraxe

Veteran
I get terrible anxiety attacks to the point I am nonfunctional. One of the worse symptoms I get a vomiting. As you can imagine that makes eating edibles impossible and toking is impossible if you are hyperventilating. Any ideas any strains ?

Cannabis can make panic and anxiety worse. Instead trying different strains I'd go to a doctor to look for the reasons of the illness

Good luck

yesum

ICMag Donor
Veteran
I have panic attacks too. I found keeping hydrated with water and using magnesium supplements to almost stop it completely. CALM is the magnesium powder I use but I guess the pills would work.

I just use pot when I am normally stressed or bored. I would not try it while having an attack. I was using indicas thinking they would help but really the sativas are working better. Choose carefully among the sativas though, some are a real rocket ride. Jarilla is nice and Jalisco is almost a tranquilizer, without the heaviness. Mexican sativas from CBG and Eskobar.

The indicas or hybrids I have used were GDP, SAD, Maple Leaf, Strawberry Blues. All fine but the sativas are hitting the sweet spot right now. No tiredness after the high. The hybrids tend to have a bit of tired aftereffect.

Last edited:

Loc Dog

Hobbies include "drinkin', smokin' weed, and all k
Veteran
Do you ever get strange feeling like dejavu??? I had that to the point of fainting, when I was really stressed. I found the thing that helped the most, was having money, so I did not worry constantly. Have been on prozac for 15 years, and that really did not help much.

Weird

3rd-Eye Jedi
Veteran
I do find that edible doses prevent many of my symptoms including social anxiety

It is like someone turned off a switch

15 - 30 mg edibles

Loc Dog

Veteran
I do find that edible doses prevent many of my symptoms including social anxiety

It is like someone turned off a switch

15 - 30 mg edibles

Just a word of caution to Lunarose. Start with minute amounts of edibles, and work your way up each time. I have made cookies, that a full one had me zig zag walking, then mild tripping in bed. A lot of people take edibles, say it did not do shit, take some more, then 5 minutes later the first batch kicks in, and then regret when the next batch kicks in.

maryjaneismyfre

Veteran
Also try start yoga..That can really help, I've seen it twice with anxious girlfreinds..

Are you a vegetarian? You might also be low on dopamine, try to include more of those things which contain the precursers for that, in your diet as well as things with healthy omega oils, fish and nuts etc..Red meat and legumes basically for precursers, broad beans etc..contain l-dopa and tyrosine and those might be lacking in the system so your brain cannot make enough dopamine, just a thought..The reason why prozac and other SSRI's don't work for anxiety and panic attacks, is because it is mainly got to do with the dopamine system, and usually a chronic lack of, as opposed to the serotonin system..although they are intertwined. Keeping serotonin up won't help at all if the dopamine levels are low. But with no clear thought, your dopamine levels won't stay elevated for too anyway long, if you do manage to get them up, so they are related..

The empty anxious feeling in your gut is literally one feeling a dip in dopamine levels, the problem is the snowballing thoughts and panic is also related to serotonin being low and no clear thought is happening..The trigger is the dopamine though. Something like Cognitive Behavior Therapy and especially yoga help train the conscious "clear thought" patterns so your conscious mind can be in control of the serotonin system, which no drug like prozac, coke, dexedrine or ritalin etc. can match or provide ever, but having enough dopamine around in general will prevent the spark that triggers the fire..hence money helping to fix the issue for locdog, he was fine when dopamine was flowing..For that you have to make sure you are happy and satisfied, have the necessary building blocks in place for your body to make the stuff, with your diet..and you must keep your mind occupied with something that is rewarding to you..be it sport, hobbies, exercising or whatever..Eat cultured, living food to reinoculate your gut and also try reset your gut bacteria with medicinal mushrooms, that can also help and STOP eating refined sugar in your food, processed food and tea, coffee etc..sugar is basically like crack to your dopamine system, so if one is a vegetarian, on a high sugar diet, with not much to do, ie. bored, and without much money or prospects, it would be difficult to not have panic attacks and anxiety, not saying that you do and not to offend any vegetarians etc..but just to illustrate.

That will help in most cases.. Weed won't help anxiety too much I've found..

Last edited:

DTFuqua

my panic attacks means a quick exit from wherever I am. get somewhere quiet and not brightly lit.bThen I hit my vaporizer.

E

egodeath

what carraxe said is right imho. i had panic attacks and anxiety (still have sometimes) and cannabis was not a solution, instead you should understand why you get anxious and have attacks, maybe weed can help in the way that you have to think about your problems or can think better with them, but maybe not, depends on you.
with me it was better to not take any medication at all and live through the phase, learn to cope with it, learn about myself and society. friends are important, security in your social surroundings, fear of death is an issue too, could be a lot of things, it does get better though, but try to do it without drugs imo
its a long road and not very nice, but

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Just a word of caution to Lunarose. Start with minute amounts of edibles, and work your way up each time. I have made cookies, that a full one had me zig zag walking, then mild tripping in bed. A lot of people take edibles, say it did not do shit, take some more, then 5 minutes later the first batch kicks in, and then regret when the next batch kicks in.

Yes, start out having a nibble. Because your body absorbs edibles from the digestive tract it takes longer and it's a different sensation than blood/brain barrier of smoking feeling effect immediately. I agree w/ Loc Dog...start slowly. 15-30 mg for one person isn't the same for all.

Perhaps a blend of indica/sativa. Sativa in some create anxiety. Good luck!

Like other poster, CALM is a great way to benefit from magnesium deficiency. Helps with anxiety.

Tinctures may help....under the tongue or in a beverage.

Gry

I deal with nausea a lot. Super hot tubs of water calm me when it get real rough. I have found that sub lingual consumption of extracts has helped me a lot .
The combination of hot water and sub lingual use of extracts combined has been real effective for me.
A cross of Bubba and Skywalker has been a blessing for me for several years.
State of mind really matters - listening to things that one finds positive sure helps .
Kinda need to load up with a variety of ways to deal with the nasty stuff.
I do not think that there is anything worse than nausea.

Last edited:

LUNAROSE

I should have started I have been having them for years I have been using for a few years and they help but my biggest issue is inhaling I gat not hold my breath while hyperventilating. I normally rely edibles but when the stacks are bad I can't keep anything down. What is the strongest head hammer strain around? I have an extreme tolerance to any sedation. Thanks

igrowone

Veteran
... but my biggest issue is inhaling I gat not hold my breath while hyperventilating. ... Thanks

there's trouble right there, holding you breath is not needed
a plain inhalation is adequate
you can trigger anxiety with breath holding/carbon monoxide
those things can increase your pulse rate which can increase anxiety

Loc Dog

Veteran
I should have started I have been having them for years I have been using for a few years and they help but my biggest issue is inhaling I gat not hold my breath while hyperventilating. I normally rely edibles but when the stacks are bad I can't keep anything down. What is the strongest head hammer strain around? I have an extreme tolerance to any sedation. Thanks

Gorilla Glue #4 was tested at about 30% THC. RB-26 had one other clone only strain, think it is Banana Kush, which tested slightly higher. I am sure those numbers plummet, if not grown by expert.

jtm

Some kind of shaman
Veteran
Saffron, 0.1g, 1-3 times daily, keep it in the mouth as long as possible, a little spicy, eh... Don't take more, usually is not needed, but maybe, maybe sometimes when in big need, and never more then 1g/day.

Magnesium, of course, but take care to be pure magnesium salts ( ascorbate is best, gluconate too, other are ok, but may have other effects too - laxation usual ).

Colloidal gold, 1-3 times, 1 tablespoon, keep it under the tongue as long as possible. Eventually along with saffron... Use a good one, pink colour or so, not colorless. Near your location I can recommend purestcolloids.com (or so).

Other herbs, like mint, basil, would help too, in a preventive way. Not tea, but cold infusion, or simply grinded kept unde the tongue, daily.

There are many other things wich can help, like slow, relaxed, jogging or swimming, yoga postures (like someone already suggested, but this is a little more complicated).

GoatCheese

Veteran
there's trouble right there, holding you breath is not needed
a plain inhalation is adequate
you can trigger anxiety with breath holding/carbon monoxide
those things can increase your pulse rate which can increase anxiety
Exactly.
Smoking/vaping weed just about the same way people are smoking cigarettes does the trick well enough.

Also some strains/type of weed just don't suit everybody, so people really have to find what suits them the best.

Have you looked into CBD-rich strains that have little THC in them as well?
CBD takes away some of the anxiety-effects of some strains, and has a relaxing effect with feeling of clarity and it seems to help people focus a lil better.

There are also mostly sativa CBD-rich strains, like CBD Crew's CBD 3D (3 districts) or BCBD/Reeferman's Harlequin Bx4

There are many CBD smoke/vape/edibles reports @YouTube and there are many good ones.
-
-
Drinking enough water, like someone suggested is a good idea, and i also suggest you look into your eating habits; meaning eat often enough so you won't get that sugar crashy, edgy feeling people get when they eat poorly. Take your essential vitamines and minerals (..in natural form if possible=superfoods etc) ,there are over 80 on that list, but many supplement products don't have even half of those in them.

Don't forget to sleep well enough. Fresh air and all that.

I don't suffer from proper panic attacks myself, little anxiety some times, but i have experienced some of that with cannabis; high anxiety and proper freak out/panic, but that was mostly when i was younger and not so experienced smoker.

I have also experienced "arising panic" on my few mushroom trips, and usually it is advised to focus on your breathing; that you are and try to stay mindful of your breathing ("i'm calmly inhaling ...i'm calmly exhaling") while also trying mindfully and "calmly" to calm yourself down. Don't give up "the mindfulness" after 30 seconds, just try to stay calm and focused on calming yourself down.

It's basically similar to Buddhist "no mind"-meditation, in which you focus your awareness/thinking on your breathing, or a certain spot on your body or some external object or whatever.

..but this doesn't have to be a buddhist/religious meditation exercise at all, the point is to stay mindful, calm and focused on what your trying to do; to calm yourself down. Try to keep in mind, that it's only a panic attack, it can't actually "harm you" and eventually it will pass.

Hope you find something that works.
:)

angelgoob

it's going to sound stupid, but lemon balm concentrated caps by Brain Forza.

That or lemon balm, lavender, valerian or chamomile tea.

has natural gaba(gamma amino butyric acid enhancers in it (main system used to treat anxiety)

with the edible it's a double-edge sword, it could helps, but it does convert to 11hydroxyTHC which is more potent!

I almost forgot to tell you, anxiety is a good thing. Your body is trying to protect itself, be thankful for any fear you my have, it's trying to protect you, not harm you.

jtm

Some kind of shaman
Veteran
Hmmmm, yes, maybe, but sometimes fear can kill. Anxiety is a slow killer, while (very) intense panic may be a fast killer, even if this (maybe) is some sort of autoprotection.

About natural GABA, interesting point, even if it seems it is not quite so. Lemon balm har rosmarinic acid, wich breaks down the GABA transaminaze (wich breaks down GABA). But finally, yes it does the work. And this may make it psychedelic (for some, at least, haven't tried it. Yet, hehe...).

angelgoob

i've tried it today with great results. lemon balm, rosehips, camomile and hibuscus. good to know that inhibits the transaminase, I knew it worked somehow.

yes and the anxiety itself doesn't help the heart.

taking a general anti-oxidant such as NAC may provide relief in the inflammatory part anxiety is tied to.

it takes away from the mind and adds to it. I get vivid dreams now which aren't great, but as a cannabis user I didn't want cannabis to take away REM sleep by complementing with so much stage 2 sleep.