What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Guawi

De La Luz

Update:
I took cuttings from all five plants, rooted them and placed them into flower to sex them.
All five plants sexed and all five plants are males.
I discarded the first three that showed their sex and have kept cuttings of two different males that were the slowest to sex. (Male #1 & Male #5).

male #1 has more of a serated leaf pattern and has a thinner leaf set (7 leaves per set).

male #5 has a bit wider leaf and slightly less serated edge. (5 leaves per set)

Dubi, Any idea which male may be representative of either side of the hybrid ?
(I'll post pictuces soon).

I plan to work a bit with both different males and see what's what.
Some planned crosses for the Guawi males include:
*Original Mid-west Bubblegum cutting
*Cherry Bomb Indica (Tall /sativa pheno)
*Cherry Bomb Indica (Short/ Indy pheno)
*Hash Plant #13 (old school Colorado HP cut circa 1985)

In the mean time, I'd still like a Guawi girl so I popped another 5 seeds this week. All five cracked within the first 48 hours and all 5 seedlings are healthy.
I've labeled them #6 - #10 and will keep you posted.

B

bonecarver_OG

wow :D its going to be fun to grow the guatemalan seeds i got gifted :D seems its going to become monsters :D

dubi

ACE Seeds Breeder
Vendor
Veteran
De La Luz said:
Update:
I took cuttings from all five plants, rooted them and placed them into flower to sex them.
All five plants sexed and all five plants are males.
I discarded the first three that showed their sex and have kept cuttings of two different males that were the slowest to sex. (Male #1 & Male #5).

male #1 has more of a serated leaf pattern and has a thinner leaf set (7 leaves per set).

male #5 has a bit wider leaf and slightly less serated edge. (5 leaves per set)

Dubi, Any idea which male may be representative of either side of the hybrid ?
(I'll post pictuces soon).

I plan to work a bit with both different males and see what's what.
Some planned crosses for the Guawi males include:
*Original Mid-west Bubblegum cutting
*Cherry Bomb Indica (Tall /sativa pheno)
*Cherry Bomb Indica (Short/ Indy pheno)
*Hash Plant #13 (old school Colorado HP cut circa 1985)

In the mean time, I'd still like a Guawi girl so I popped another 5 seeds this week. All five cracked within the first 48 hours and all 5 seedlings are healthy.
I've labeled them #6 - #10 and will keep you posted.

Good day De La Luz,

Sorry to hear you had bad initial female ratio with your Guawi. We have had around 50 /50 ratio with the strain outdoors.

I hope you find good females with new Guawi seeds :wink:

Malawi has a small thin pale leaf pattern, quite thin stems, very good flower/leaf ratio.

Guatemala has darker and bigger leaf pattern, thicker stems and mid-good flower/leaf ratio.

Probably your male 1 is more malawi influenced while male 5 shows more guatemala traits. Pics would help a lot to identify phenos.

Thanks a lot for posting and best wishes for 2008 friend! :rasta:

dubi

ACE Seeds Breeder
Vendor
Veteran
bonecarver_OG said:
wow :D its going to be fun to grow the guatemalan seeds i got gifted :D seems its going to become monsters :D

Hola bone,

Our guatemala sativa has proved to be a great sativa breeding tool, also very intense and high quality smoke in pure form.

Where does your guatemala seeds come from? Please, keep us updated with progresses! dubi

C

charlie garcia

Hola Dubi and all friends,

De la Luz... bad luck bro as not females to try but I wish crosses instead do great. Female selected lines sound great indeed. best success

Dubi, Bones, the north Guatemala line Bone has recieved came from Peten area and was sent few years ago by a good friend. Hope they do great and germing ratios are good enough to have a wide and deep look at it

Despite Peten is not a elevated area I am not sure right now if line was grown exactly there or it was picked up from other area and sent from a friend living there

best

Last edited:
B

bonecarver_OG

i have travelled guatemala (my 2001 central american hitching madness) :D spent 2 months in guatemala.

El petén is a WAST jungle - with fairly varied topografy - there is low-lands and highlands too :D but its all VERY humid!

the montanous highlands areas are the ones the MAYA indians populate - and of course ;) these dudes know hot to grow GOOD bud :D

well here is a news quote for the spanish speaking/readin ones :D

"Especies de Marihuana que se venden en Guatemala (El Periódico, 2004)

Según el diario “El Periódico”, (19 Diciembre 2004) hay cuatro clases de marihuana que se consumen en Guatemala, aunque existen más de 80 especies en el mundo.
Las especies que se venden en el país son “chronic”, “afgani”, “AK-47” y la petenera o punto rojo. Esta última es de origen guatemalteco, y las otras tres son extranjeras y cultivadas al norte del país. En el mercado local, un cartón de chronic se puede adquirir entre Q20 y Q30. Esa porción rinde para hacer de tres a cinco puros o cigarrillos. El mismo precio tiene la petenera o punto rojo y la misma cantidad de la afgani cuesta Q40. La más cara es la AK- 47 de origen colombiano, que vale Q75 el cartón y Q700 la onza.

LA CHRONIC

Se puede cosechar en campo abierto o en invernadero. Del 15 al 31 de octubre son días perfectos para su cultivo y su floración dura entre 56 a 63 días.
Precios:
Cartón: de Q20 a Q30
Onza: Q400

AK-47

Se cosecha también en octubre y su floración es de 40 días.
Esta planta es más conocida, es fácil de cultivar, llega a medir dos metros de altura. Su origen es de una mezcla de los tipos de marihuana afgani y guerrillas gusto colombiana.
Es de las más fuertes en el mercado, el efecto de un cigarrillo dura hasta seis horas.
Precios:
Cartón: Q75
Onza: de Q700 a Q800

AFGANÍ

Originaria de Afganistán. Su floración es de ocho a doce semanas, es adaptable a cualquier ambiente, exterior o invernadero, no pierde su calidad.
Su cultivo es preferible en altura baja y el mes ideal para su recolección es octubre.
Esta variedad nació de una mezcla de diez mil plantas. Su creación tardó cerca de ocho años en desarrollarse.
Precios:
Cartón: Q40
Onza: Q450 a Q500

PETENERA O PUNTO ROJO

Se cultiva en octubre, sus hojas tienen unos puntos rojos. Crece hasta dos metros de altura. Fue una de las primeras especies que se cultivó en el país de Guatemala, y es la más consumida por su precio.

hehe :D fun? :D

http://www.coedu.usf.edu/zalaquett/cic/mg.htm

Last edited:
C

charlie garcia

Nice you know better about the area. A maya line? sounds good LOL

Gee!! what these journalist smoke to write their reports? Leaves with red dots?

De La Luz

update!

update!

I popped another 5 guawi seeds at the begining of the year. I've cloned and sexed all 5.
I found two nice looking ladies in this batch of 5 seeds!! :joint: :jump:

They are in the start of their second week on 12/12
I'll post picks soon.

I've gotten rid of the two previous males, I just do not have the room at the moment to keep them going and I thought better of dumbing down the mix with inferior genetics (RMS Cherry Bomb indica is in a word "weaksauce"). I still have over 150 seeds of the guawi ( :muahaha: thanks dubi!) to select a good couple of males further on up the road.

dubi

ACE Seeds Breeder
Vendor
Veteran
De La Luz said:
I popped another 5 guawi seeds at the begining of the year. I've cloned and sexed all 5.
I found two nice looking ladies in this batch of 5 seeds!! :joint: :jump:
Im so glad to hear you finally found 2 females. Please De La Luz, keep us updated! :wink:

De La Luz

Here are some images of the two different Guawi females I've found.

Note:Both have had their main cola pulled over and tied to the main stalk, this was done to try to work with height issues without topping the plants.

Both females are in 5 gallon pots under 1000W HPS & 600w Sulfer plasma bulbs

first up is Guawi Female # 7

Close up of #7

Large fan leaf on #7 interior

Guawi #7

dubi

ACE Seeds Breeder
Vendor
Veteran
Good day De La Luz! :smile:

Thanks for upload your fresh Guawi flowering pics. Im glad you found some nice females to try the strain in the next flowering cycle.

They are tall and branchy, like Guawi should be. Flower/leaf ratio seems to be nice.

How many weeks of 12/12?

De La Luz

dubi said:
How many weeks of 12/12?

Hola Dubi, these girls are at about 21 days of 12/12

Very large and branchy. Number 7 seems to have a slightly better bud set at the moment and is also a little larger.

De La Luz

Girls are filling in nicely, resin production is increasing

#7 Has a slightly darker color to the leaves and the fan leaves out of the buds are slightly thinner than her sister. The scent is like earthy, slight lemon grass, slight spicey chewing gum. (Possible slightly more Malawi leaning?)

#8 Has a lighter green color and the fan leaves out of the buds look a slightly wider than number #7. Her scent is a very sweet, floral chewing gum.(Possible slightly more Guatamala leaning?)

Both girls will yield very well, pics coming soon

(I have a terrible camera and close ups/ macros are very tough, I'll do my best)

dubi

ACE Seeds Breeder
Vendor
Veteran
Good day De La Luz,

I think you described very well its aromas :smile: Malawi has an oily/resinous lemony aroma with earthy details, guatemala is more floral and sweeter.

They should be fatten up in the next weeks. I hope you are enjoying weekend! dubi

Raco

secretion engineer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Nice plants De la Luz :yes:
ACE Malawi #4....killer stuff!! :joint:
raco2035.jpg

De La Luz

Hola Raco,
Beautiful buds! Is Malawi #4 the same Mom used in the Guawi cross?

I Like the skull & Cross bones underneath....Danger!!

Raco said:
Nice plants De la Luz :yes:
ACE Malawi #4....killer stuff!! :joint:
raco2035.jpg

Raco

secretion engineer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Thx De La Luz :D
#4 is one of the daughters of the infamous ACE Malawi mom.Not as devastating as her mother but....ooooooofffff!! very potent.Gives mad munchies as well :D

De La Luz

Raco said:
Thx De La Luz :D
#4 is one of the daughters of the infamous ACE Malawi mom.Not as devastating as her mother but....ooooooofffff!! very potent.Gives mad munchies as well :D

Thanks Raco,
I cant wait for the Guawi girls to finish up!! I'm working on getting a new camera ...just in time for the flowers to ripen :rasta:

dubi

ACE Seeds Breeder
Vendor
Veteran
De La Luz said:
Hola Raco,
Beautiful buds! Is Malawi #4 the same Mom used in the Guawi cross?
QUOTE]

Not exactly the same malawi mother De La Luz. Guawi mother is the killer old malawi, malawi #4 is one of her daughter coming from past season selections, she's the most balanced malawi female i've found in terms of vigour, yield, aroma and potency, her killer mother is stronger but daughter #4 is very close in potency but TASTIER!

I hope to backcross this season poweful and tasty malawi sons to the killer malawi mother. I think it will be the best way to breed a seedline with closest potency to the mother but adding more pleasant tastes.

Last edited: