What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

questions for Sam Skunkman on terpenes

CaptainDankness

Lol dudes chillin in dam inhaling 100% heads of pure haze acid pheno all day. If half the shit was true or other shit lies this would not be the case.
Sounds a little boring to me. I do enjoy my Haze's, but not as much as I enjoy variety.

I do prefer hash too, but I still love flowers. Honestly if that's all he smokes is dry sieve Haze, I'm puffing way better, but it's all subject to opinion. Some people love fine wine, I think it all tastes like rotten grapes myself. :biggrin:

Really whatever he does smoke has absolutely nothing to do with his success as a breeder and I've seen nothing too special. Skunk #1 was great in the 80's in 2020, it's midgrade at best. :tiphat:

Not too say he isn't knowledgeable about breeding, he just seems fairly unsuccessful, just somehow with a huge cult like following. It's a little strange if you asked me.

Fitzera

Sounds a little boring to me. I do enjoy my Haze's, but not as much as I enjoy variety.

I do prefer hash too, but I still love flowers. Honestly if that's all he smokes is dry sieve Haze, I'm puffing way better, but it's all subject to opinion. Some people love fine wine, I think it all tastes like rotten grapes myself. :biggrin:

Really whatever he does smoke has absolutely nothing to do with his success as a breeder and I've seen nothing too special. Skunk #1 was great in the 80's in 2020, it's midgrade at best. :tiphat:

Not too say he isn't knowledgeable about breeding, he just seems fairly unsuccessful, just somehow with a huge cult like following. It's a little strange if you asked me.

Like you said, subject to opinion. I would say Mr Watson has been very successful in his career, and if you look into more than just what you read on the forums, you may agree.

@hempy

The Haze Whisperer
I personally love how so many people think he's the greatest breeder of all time and knows everything about cannabis. It's kind of hilarious really. Lol

I mean what has he really accomplish since the 80's?? I've seen no awards, no new strains. Sure his Hortapharm company is supposed to have a shit load of amazing genetics, but I have personally never heard of anyone seeing this first hand, besides Sam. I mean it does sound great and all but he might be lying.

Sure he provided the plants in Sativex, but are they truly special?? He had one plant with high THC and one plant with high CBD that are then mixed together to create a 1:1 medicine.

Well soon after this Mr. Nice Seeds and Resin Seeds teamed up to create CBD Crew and have together completely dominated any work coming out of Hortapharm. I mean unless maybe Sam has something hidden away that only he knows about. LMAO

You can't really be a great breeder, if you don't have great seeds. You can say that you are better, but unless you can prove it, well I don't really believe you.

Today Skunk #1 and Haze both (not completely created by Sam by the way), well they have gotten much better since people have bred them forward from Nevil's first offerings. Meanwhile I've yet to see anything new from the legendary Skunkman, which is really surprising. I certainly would love to see Sam kicking ass breeding, but I imagine it would just be pretty good (not the best) like Chimera and his equally inflated ego. :tiphat:
What has Sam and Rob (Hortapharm) achieved well you can look at that a few ways but they going by Rob have patented 47 or 49 plants possibly more now.

They along with the CBD crew have managed to change the definition of what was medical cannabis for 1000s of years from natural cannabis with high THC low to no CBD into islets and industrial hemp.

The plants grown by GW that produce sativex are not the property of GW they grow them under license they still are the property of Hortapharm.

CaptainDankness

What has Sam and Rob (Hortapharm) achieved well you can look at that a few ways but they going by Rob have patented 47 or 49 plants possibly more now.

They along with the CBD crew have managed to change the definition of what was medical cannabis for 1000s of years from natural cannabis with high THC low to no CBD into islets and industrial hemp.

The plants grown by GW that produce sativex are not the property of GW they grow them under license they still are the property of Hortapharm.
Patents on what exactly? What is special about these 47 or 49 plants? I can't seem to find any information about them. GW does work with Bayer/Monsanto and in order to obtain a patent it must be new. You think he made GMO cannabis? Haze and Skunk ain't new even high CBD is not new.

CBD has been around for thousands of years as well, we just didn't use it for recreational marijuana. How does one create something that has been around since long before one was born? The only stellar work I've seen with CBD enrichment came from CBD Crew, as Hortapharm didn't have a 1:1 strain just a high THC strain and a high CBD strain. I'm sure Hortapharm has a few now just because it became a big thing when Resin Seeds released Cannatonic and since that it's very easy to obtain.

Also I thought it was plant breeder rights from the UPVO that Hortapharm had, not USPTO patents. Either way I have yet to see any of these magical strains that are going to change the world. Maybe he's only giving access to GW/Bayer Monsanto. Makes sense if you're trying to make millions of dollars with patents.

@hempy

The Haze Whisperer
Patents on what exactly? What is special about these 47 or 49 plants? I can't seem to find any information about them. GW does work with Bayer/Monsanto and in order to obtain a patent it must be new. You think he made GMO cannabis? Haze and Skunk ain't new even high CBD is not new.

CBD has been around for thousands of years as well, we just didn't use it for recreational marijuana. How does one create something that has been around since long before one was born? The only stellar work I've seen with CBD enrichment came from CBD Crew, as Hortapharm didn't have a 1:1 strain just a high THC strain and a high CBD strain. I'm sure Hortapharm has a few now just because it became a big thing when Resin Seeds released Cannatonic and since that it's very easy to obtain.

Also I thought it was plant breeder rights from the UPVO that Hortapharm had, not USPTO patents. Either way I have yet to see any of these magical strains that are going to change the world. Maybe he's only giving access to GW/Bayer Monsanto. Makes sense if you're trying to make millions of dollars with patents.

You put a patent on them you own them mate now we know you cant put a patent on say a plant found in nature but you can patent things created not found in nature.Dose that mean hybrids yes so what if say Haze Sk Afghani 1 and so on were all patented what would that mean for consumers or even industry that use set genetics in years to come ?.

High CBD cannabis started with Hortapharm no cannabis had high CBD apart from Rudaralis and say industrial hemp.Industrial hemp being grown today was created and patented after prohibition came in.Look into it all modern industrial hemp is patented and all created after prohibition came in from Europe.

Japan has one of the oldest hemp cultures yet traditional hemp variety's there can not be grown as the THC % is at the same % as old Mexican and Jamaican heirloom variety's all documented.
Indian hemp was the name the English gave the Indian sativa what few know is high THC hemp produce a far superior end product like fiber / paper / more oil and more seed than the patented variety's.

There was no high CBD cannabis seed on the market until the CBD crew they also have a patent.

What few understand about say modern genetics is people like Neville used redaralis in his breeding. Auto cannabis breeders used rudaralis in there breeding.What dose that mean well you can run set amount of seed and you will find variations of THC % to CBD %.

So you hybridize a cannabis drug strain to a rudartalis non drug strain.You grow out the seed have them tested you find a 1.1 and you self it.The results are more plants with 1.1 profiles.

@hempy

The Haze Whisperer
Okay, so you got the seeds you wanted. How did you then grow plants that were genetically consistent — a prerequisite for producing medicine?
Cannabis is normally a heterozygote, which means it has two sets of chromosomes — one from the mother and one from the father, and they vary. Through a proprietary technique we developed called selfing, we became the world’s first breeders to develop homozygote cannabis, in which both sets of chromosomes are identical. We then mass produced plants with just the one cannabinoid profile we wanted. We grew plants that were 98% THC, or 98% CBD. And that’s what Geoffrey Guy [founder of GW Pharmaceuticals] was looking for. He wanted different cannabinoids — THC, CBD, CBC, CBG — which he could then blend in different ratios and explore them for their medical efficacy. We were the only ones in the world who had what Geoffrey badly needed.
https://www.fastcompany.com/48172/dr-dopes-connection

CaptainDankness

High CBD cannabis started with Hortapharm no cannabis had high CBD apart from Rudaralis and say industrial hemp.Industrial hemp being grown today was created and patented after prohibition came in.Look into it all modern industrial hemp is patented and all created after prohibition came in from Europe.

Lol, high CBD was around before Hortapharm. A lot of the old school (landrace) Moroccan hash had higher levels of CBD.

The misinformation is real in here...

B

Benny106

Captain dankness the savior of the scene, what have you achieved since the 80s?:moon:

You come over like a bedroom dj picking holes in the transition of the guy on the flyer.

flylowgethigh

Non-growing Lurker
ICMag Donor
i've read this article Cannabis and the Anxiety of Fragmentation—A Systems Approach for Finding an Anxiolytic Cannabis Chemotype where it says that strains highest in nerolidol has the most anti-anxiety properties. what surprises me is that they name bubba kush as the strain highest in nerolidol. i found the test and it indeed has nerolidol as highest terpene. here's screenshot:

[URL=https://i.ibb.co/98PvpkK/screenshot-5.jpg]View Image[/url]

i am mostly familiar with terpene tests done by sclabs and i've never seen a bubba with such high nerolidol. in fact, the majority of samples have rather negligible nerolidol content.

i've looked through all the bubba tests i took screenshots of back then sclab's tests were open to public access. long story short i did found few examples of high nerolidol bubba, interesting that they both came from the same dispensary. this dispensary also got tahoe og sample pretty high in nerolidol. i have also looked through other strains to see if there are any other high nerolidol varieties and found some more. it seems that nerolidol expression have strong ties with some external factors, most probably soil microorganisms: for example, most bubba, tahoe, gorilla_glue or zkittlez sample have no spiked nerolidol, while some samples have it as one of the dominant terpenes.

[URL=https://i.ibb.co/sHntxYx/nerolidol.jpg]View Image[/url]

as a side note i notice marked similarities between bubba and sour diesel terpene profiles: the overall content is higher with sour diesel, but relative ratios looks rather similar.

[URL=https://i.ibb.co/hX1NkcM/bubba.jpg]View Image[/url] _____ [URL=https://i.ibb.co/5M14K4b/sour-diesel.jpg]View Image[/url]

https://reports.mcrlabs.com/reports/pre-98-bubba-kush_2

@hempy

The Haze Whisperer
Lol, high CBD was around before Hortapharm. A lot of the old school (landrace) Moroccan hash had higher levels of CBD.

The misinformation is real in here...

A little research goes a long way.

Moroccan

Hash

Posted on November 3, 2014

Date

Tested:

11/03/2014

Test

Result

UID:

ANL20141103A327925

HPLC

Chromatograph

ANL27925.png

Potency

• 0.02% CBG-A
  • < 0.01% CBG
  • 0.02% CBG-TOTAL
  • 0.40% ∆9-THC-A
  • 0.04% ∆9-THC
  • < 0.01% ∆8-THC
  • < 0.01% CBN
  • 0.44% THC-TOTAL
  • 0.04% CBD-A
  • < 0.01% CBD
  • 0.04% CBD-TOTAL
https://archive.analytical360.com/m/archived/304103

Also they are growing all types of cannabis now high CBD enriched like say what the CBD crew offer to blueberry.

The switch from Kif to hybrids cultivation has meant that irrigation has become a necessity. While Kif was predominantly cultivated on bour (rain fed), the new varieties must absolutely be grown on irrigated land. The Kif produced less resin but was adapted to the Rif’s dryness and could sustain high levels of water stress. Only 12 percent of cannabis fields were irrigated in 2004 and 20 percent in 2005.
The new hybrid varieties require a lot of water.
http://www.geopium.org/2017/09/the-new-moroccan-hashish/

Dropped Cat

Six Gummi Bears and Some Scotch
Veteran
I never saw this thread, thus I did not respond.
Some of the questions I spent years and a lot of $ finding the answers, I am not so sure I want to just give the info away.
I will answer any I feel are not info that cost me so much time and effort and $.
I do love the right terpenes, I also prefer the terpenes intact in the Bud, resin, like in dry sift.
-SamS

What White Rhino did you use for your cross anyway.

Afghan T or Afghan S.

My bet is the sweeter Afghan S.

CaptainDankness

Moroccan

Hash

Date

Tested:

11/03/2014

Test

Result

UID:

ANL20141103A327925

HPLC

Chromatograph

View Image
Potency

• 0.02% CBG-A
  • < 0.01% CBG
  • 0.02% CBG-TOTAL
  • 0.40% ∆9-THC-A
  • 0.04% ∆9-THC
  • < 0.01% ∆8-THC
  • < 0.01% CBN
  • 0.44% THC-TOTAL
  • 0.04% CBD-A
  • < 0.01% CBD
  • 0.04% CBD-TOTAL

Also they are growing all types of cannabis now high CBD enriched like say what the CBD crew offer to blueberry.

The switch from Kif to hybrids cultivation has meant that irrigation has become a necessity. While Kif was predominantly cultivated on bour (rain fed), the new varieties must absolutely be grown on irrigated land. The Kif produced less resin but was adapted to the Rif’s dryness and could sustain high levels of water stress. Only 12 percent of cannabis fields were irrigated in 2004 and 20 percent in 2005.
https://www.geopium.org/2017/09/the-new-moroccan-hashish/

The results, based on many different seizures, showed that the average CBD content of hashish from Lebanon varied from 5.69% to 12.79% (an average 8.98 § 0.59%), THC of hashish from Lebanon varied from 0.93% to 4.20% (an average of 2.38 § 0.27 %), CBD of hashish from Morocco varied from 1.52% to 5.14% (an average of 3.72 § 0.19%), THC of hashish from Morocco varied from 5.08% to 13.41% (an average of 9.21 § 0.40%), CBD of hashish from India varied from 0.78% to 13.13% (an average of 4.59 § 1.07%), and THC of hashish from India varied from 0.53% to 16.45% (an average of 6.35 § 1.50%), At the same time, several other cannabinoids present in the samples in lower amounts were identified (cannabidivarol, CBDV; cannabicitran; D9-tetrahydrocannabivarol, D9-THCV; cannabivarol, CBV; cannabicyclol, CBL; cannabichromene, CBC; cannabielsoin, CBE; D8-THC; and cannabigerol, CBG).

Research you say? :tiphat:

Medfinder

Chemon 91
Chemon..91

Smells rotten lemon peel...eathy stale turpentine.

I need to send out an sample.

Attachments

• IMG_20200217_195316.jpg
    IMG_20200217_195316.jpg
    104.2 KB · Views: 25

mexcurandero420

See the world through a puff of smoke
Veteran

Moroccan

Hash

Date

Tested:

11/03/2014

Test

Result

UID:

ANL20141103A327925

HPLC

Chromatograph

View Image
Potency

• 0.02% CBG-A
  • < 0.01% CBG
  • 0.02% CBG-TOTAL
  • 0.40% ∆9-THC-A
  • 0.04% ∆9-THC
  • < 0.01% ∆8-THC
  • < 0.01% CBN
  • 0.44% THC-TOTAL
  • 0.04% CBD-A
  • < 0.01% CBD
  • 0.04% CBD-TOTAL

https://www.geopium.org/2017/09/the-new-moroccan-hashish/

G'day @hempy

Moroccan cbd hash still to find in the shops in Holland.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    83 KB · Views: 26

@hempy

The Haze Whisperer
G'day @hempy

Moroccan cbd hash still to find in the shops in Holland.

Hiya mexcurandero420 if you look at my last post it has a link to an article that talks about the introduction of new genetics to Morocco and less of the old Moroccan strain grown for hash now a days.

CBD dont get you high if it did people would be smoking Rudaralis.

What i found interesting in your post of that hash Analysis was the THC and THCA % they were almost 50.50.

T

TheForgotten

Didn't read the whole thread, but OP asked about elevation and seemingly associated it (or tried to) with increased potency and UV levels. I could be wrong there....

Altitude does help (can help) potency, but more because of increased CO2 levels, not UV....

CaptainDankness

Hiya mexcurandero420 if you look at my last post it has a link to an article that talks about the introduction of new genetics to Morocco and less of the old Moroccan strain grown for hash now a days.

What i found interesting in your post of that hash Analysis was the THC and THCA % they were almost 50.50.
You can always admit that you are wrong and that CBD has been present in drug cannabis all along and did not come from Rudaralis. I mean there must be a reason Nevil and Sam didn't use Lebanese or Morrocan when creating some of the high THC hybrids. You do still get high off the 1:1 strains it's just not as strong of a high.

Sam did not create CBD nor did CBD Crew, it was always there in nature, just bred away from when we tried to breed the strongest weed. CBD Crew did do a pretty good job enriching strains, but they did not create CBD nor did they get it from hemp or Rudaralis.

mexcurandero420

See the world through a puff of smoke
Veteran

Introduction of new genetics was already going on in the 80s according to Laurence Cherniak.

Cannabytics usr the nmr method.Don't have experience with that method, only with GC and hplc.

Latest posts

Latest posts