What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

questions for Sam Skunkman on terpenes

CosmicGiggle

Veteran
... I do love the right terpenes, I also prefer the terpenes intact in the Bud, resin, like in dry sift.
-SamS

OK, fair enough, but would you feel comfortable telling us some of the strains you like that have what you consider to be the right terpenes and why?

..... and to be totally fair to you, if you choose, just discuss strains created by you and your associates.:tiphat:

zachrockbadenof

Veteran
did sammy create anything???? i doubt it... pollinated 2 plants and he's a legend .... haha- i've got a bunch of old freebies from seedbay- seems with every order u were getting free seeds from sammy... u want em back sammy??? i have 4 packs of the freebies...

Ok, yes, send them to me....
-SamS

Last edited by a moderator:

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
Thank you Sam. :) I, for one, appreciate how eloquently you shared what you are willing to share. Subtlety is lost on many. :D
:tiphat:

BombBudPuffa

Veteran
I never saw this thread, thus I did not respond.
Some of the questions I spent years and a lot of $ finding the answers, I am not so sure I want to just give the info away.
I will answer any I feel are not info that cost me so much time and effort and $.
I do love the right terpenes, I also prefer the terpenes intact in the Bud, resin, like in dry sift.
-SamS

Haha...epic answer lol.

Elmer Bud

Genotype Sex Worker AKA strain whore
Veteran
You're kidding thyme is not Cannabis, but Cannabis has never been researched on the terpene profile in an environment with a high UV-index (>12) and in a low UV index environment (5-7).
Would be interesting to see the difference between e.g Amnesia hyprocut from Spain and Amnesia hyprocut grown under HPS light.

G `day Mex

Folks from EU or US have no idea what extreme UV is like .
20 mins in the summer sun at mid day in Australia and your skin turns pink .
Lots of skin cancers in Oz .

I spent a cpl of days hitch hiking in France and northern Spain mid summer . Hottest days of the year 40 C . Hardly got a sun burn . Can`t do that in Oz .

Chile and Argentina and Sth Africa would have some extreme UV too . Apparently O zone is thinner in the Sthn Hemisphere .

Thanks for sharin

EB .

zachrockbadenof

Veteran
did sammy create anything???? i doubt it... pollinated 2 plants and he's a legend .... haha- i've got a bunch of old freebies from seedbay- seems with every order u were getting free seeds from sammy... u want em back sammy??? i have 4 packs of the freebies...

Ok, yes, send them to me....
-SamS

send me your address.... i'll let the birds drop em off to you...

CosmicGiggle

Veteran
Hey Zak, if yer giving away free Skunkman seeds I'll be happy to take them offa your hands, and I'm sure I'm not alone.:tiphat:

I never saw this thread, thus I did not respond.
Some of the questions I spent years and a lot of $ finding the answers, I am not so sure I want to just give the info away.
I will answer any I feel are not info that cost me so much time and effort and $.
I do love the right terpenes, I also prefer the terpenes intact in the Bud, resin, like in dry sift.
-SamS

now I know why people trash this guy, breeds the skunk out of skunk then turns his nose up at somebody asking for growing knowledge

No problem dude, I am sure if I lived just like you I would be perfect.... Maybe I need your sage advice?
-SamS

Last edited by a moderator:

therevverend

Veteran

Fair enough I've got my envelope and a couple twenties ready. PM me an address.

Sam, I'm guessing we'll never see you release any of your breeding from the last 40 years to the public? I'm not trolling or really even asking I think we should assume that part of the deal that allows you to work for who you work for includes a bit about not releasing your strains to the 'clandestine' markets given your 'notorious' background.

Which cuts off all the questions I'd have for you about what you're breeding, why you're breeding it, what the goals are, that sort of stuff. I'm guessing the paranoid folks that fear you trademarking their favorite strain of cannabis don't have to worry because you and your co-workers have already bred your own strains of cannabis that work better for what you're doing then the strains that are out there. And you don't have to worry about trademarking because the stuff is kept under camera, lock, and key.

mexcurandero420

See the world through a puff of smoke
Veteran
G `day Mex

Folks from EU or US have no idea what extreme UV is like .
20 mins in the summer sun at mid day in Australia and your skin turns pink .
Lots of skin cancers in Oz .

I spent a cpl of days hitch hiking in France and northern Spain mid summer . Hottest days of the year 40 C . Hardly got a sun burn . Can`t do that in Oz .

Chile and Argentina and Sth Africa would have some extreme UV too . Apparently O zone is thinner in the Sthn Hemisphere .

Thanks for sharin

EB .

G'day EB

Lately UV index increased in Holland during the summer, but i agree with you not as high as in Oz.Reason you got a lot of skin cancer in Oz cause your ancestors are from Britain with mostly skin type 1.Not more than 8 minutes in the sun.

In Bolivia years ago an uv-index of 43 was measured in the mountains.

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2014/07/140708131821.htm

Elmer Bud

Genotype Sex Worker AKA strain whore
Veteran
G `day Mex

Times have changed .
Now days the schools have no hat - no outdoors play policies .
Some even extend it to sunglasses .

Working outdoors the employer must supply sun screen .

I 1st noticed the effects of the sun and aging when I worked with Norwegians .
No crows feet around their eyes . Ozzies who spend a lot of time in the sun as kids get wrinkly as they get older . The 70s and 80s were all about the golden tan .

These days I avoid the mid day sun if I can .

Thanks for sharin

EB .

mexcurandero420

See the world through a puff of smoke
Veteran
G `day Mex

Times have changed .
Now days the schools have no hat - no outdoors play policies .
Some even extend it to sunglasses .

Working outdoors the employer must supply sun screen .

I 1st noticed the effects of the sun and aging when I worked with Norwegians .
No crows feet around their eyes . Ozzies who spend a lot of time in the sun as kids get wrinkly as they get older . The 70s and 80s were all about the golden tan .

These days I avoid the mid day sun if I can .

Thanks for sharin

EB .

G'day EB

Yep the 80s were all bout tanning.To the beach from morning till evening.The more your skin was tanned the better.Like you stay away from the sun nowadays, although vitamin D is also very important.

troutman

Seed Whore
I'll tell you if somebody else doesn't want to. :biggrin:

Cannabis flower essential oil yields depends on the hemp type (drug, fiber) and pollination; sex, age, and
part of the plant; cultivation (indoor, outdoor etc.); harvest time and conditions; drying; and storage.

Just know that nonpollinated (aka sinsemilla) has more essential oils than pollinated plants. :tiphat:

Cannabis flower essential oil

Personally, I find organically outdoor grown Cannabis smells stronger. :dance013:

TychoMonolyth

Boreal Curing
I'll tell you if somebody else doesn't want to. :biggrin:

Cannabis flower essential oil yields depends on the hemp type (drug, fiber) and pollination; sex, age, and
part of the plant; cultivation (indoor, outdoor etc.); harvest time and conditions; drying; and storage.

Just know that nonpollinated (aka sinsemilla) has more essential oils than pollinated plants. :tiphat:

Cannabis flower essential oil

Personally, I find organically outdoor grown Cannabis smells stronger. :dance013:

Outdoor dried weed is some of the best I ever smoked.

Nirrity

curious case of nerolidol

curious case of nerolidol

i've read this article Cannabis and the Anxiety of Fragmentation—A Systems Approach for Finding an Anxiolytic Cannabis Chemotype where it says that strains highest in nerolidol has the most anti-anxiety properties. what surprises me is that they name bubba kush as the strain highest in nerolidol. i found the test and it indeed has nerolidol as highest terpene. here's screenshot:

i am mostly familiar with terpene tests done by sclabs and i've never seen a bubba with such high nerolidol. in fact, the majority of samples have rather negligible nerolidol content.

i've looked through all the bubba tests i took screenshots of back then sclab's tests were open to public access. long story short i did found few examples of high nerolidol bubba, interesting that they both came from the same dispensary. this dispensary also got tahoe og sample pretty high in nerolidol. i have also looked through other strains to see if there are any other high nerolidol varieties and found some more. it seems that nerolidol expression have strong ties with some external factors, most probably soil microorganisms: for example, most bubba, tahoe, gorilla_glue or zkittlez sample have no spiked nerolidol, while some samples have it as one of the dominant terpenes.

as a side note i notice marked similarities between bubba and sour diesel terpene profiles: the overall content is higher with sour diesel, but relative ratios looks rather similar.

_____

CaptainDankness

now I know why people trash this guy, breeds the skunk out of skunk then turns his nose up at somebody asking for growing knowledge

No problem dude, I am sure if I lived just like you I would be perfect.... Maybe I need your sage advice?
-SamS
I personally love how so many people think he's the greatest breeder of all time and knows everything about cannabis. It's kind of hilarious really. Lol

I mean what has he really accomplish since the 80's?? I've seen no awards, no new strains. Sure his Hortapharm company is supposed to have a shit load of amazing genetics, but I have personally never heard of anyone seeing this first hand, besides Sam. I mean it does sound great and all but he might be lying.

Sure he provided the plants in Sativex, but are they truly special?? He had one plant with high THC and one plant with high CBD that are then mixed together to create a 1:1 medicine.

Well soon after this Mr. Nice Seeds and Resin Seeds teamed up to create CBD Crew and have together completely dominated any work coming out of Hortapharm. I mean unless maybe Sam has something hidden away that only he knows about. LMAO

You can't really be a great breeder, if you don't have great seeds. You can say that you are better, but unless you can prove it, well I don't really believe you.

Today Skunk #1 and Haze both (not completely created by Sam by the way), well they have gotten much better since people have bred them forward from Nevil's first offerings. Meanwhile I've yet to see anything new from the legendary Skunkman, which is really surprising. I certainly would love to see Sam kicking ass breeding, but I imagine it would just be pretty good (not the best) like Chimera and his equally inflated ego. :tiphat:

B

Benny106

Lol dudes chillin in dam inhaling 100% heads of pure haze acid pheno all day. If half the shit was true or other shit lies this would not be the case.

CannaZen

nerolidol or lavender aroma is common among classic descent indica heritage types, in the right conditions such as forest environment.

EDIT: Sorry im thinking of lilac.

Last edited: