What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Decarboxylation : How much heat and time ?

Miss lucylu

Be patient and let it dry completely and it will decarb itself. I have been baking for 30yrs, made probably every mistake one can make, I bake my breads at 350f, cookies sometimes 375f. This decarbing stuff I keep reading about is not necessary and can mess you up in the long run. Patients my friends

Miss lucylu

If I am in a hurry, I turn my oven to 250f, put my product in and turn off the oven. Should be dry enough in a couple of hours to make flower. The only reason one would need to decarb is if they are not using adequate heat like when baking. If those little glands are vaporizing sure glad is inside my baked goods, I never get complaints other than they are a little too strong. All I can say to that is eat less

JRace

If I am in a hurry, I turn my oven to 250f, put my product in and turn off the oven. Should be dry enough in a couple of hours to make flower. The only reason one would need to decarb is if they are not using adequate heat like when baking. If those little glands are vaporizing sure glad is inside my baked goods, I never get complaints other than they are a little too strong. All I can say to that is eat less

How much product / dose do you use?

I have made capsules for years. Tried no decarb, and decarbed and without question every single time the decarb wins.

I use 40mg of low grade iso per cap.
To get close with non decarb product I need 160mg.

budman678

I come from the land where the oceans freeze
Veteran
I am going to be making lollipops with bubble hash. Is decarb necessary for bubble hash and bc this shit is greasy full melt deliciousness, how do stop it from getting some melty?

Generally looking tips for decarbing bubble hash. Ice wax

DoubleTripleOG

Chemdog & Kush Lover Extraordinaire
ICMag Donor
I decarb my bho for 20-25 mins at about 220f. Add to chocolate melts on a double boiler, thoroughly mix until smooth texture(to make sure the bho is evenly distributed), spoon into silicone molds and let sit until hard. Use 12 grams of bho and get about 55 chocolates. People say it's the strongest shit they ever had in their lives.....and not just one person, almost everyone that tried em'.. I ate 3 and slept for 15 hrs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

HellsBells33

I think you hit the nail on the head with about 2 hours at 220 degrees F. Don't forget about the freezing process at the end for good measure!

Donn

I'm no expert, but it looks to me like decarboxylation, strictly speaking, is the easy part. Heat it to any temperature, even room temperature if you have the time, eventually that carboxyl group will fall off no matter what. So bubbles are guaranteed.

To me, the interesting part is how much THC is turned into CBN in the process. CBN is useless, so that's a down side. (Or that's my impression - I see in the discussion following the Skunkpharm article, some claims that it's sedative or psychoactive in some way, but my impression is that at any rate it isn't a desirable product.) But it's hard to really get a handle on how much THC/CBD vs. CBN you end up with, without a laboratory test.

MrManDead

I decarb herb, than I make my extract. I will decarb 10 to 20 min at 200 f. Then I freeze buds and everclear 24 hours and qwick wash. I then evaporate the alcohol for shatter or boil it away at 205 f. Once I have my absolute as either shatter or honey oil, I mix it with liquid coconut oil and soy lecithin and bake 2 hours at 220 in a covered glass jar. I do stop after the first hour and freeze 24 hours. Every time I sample before freezing and the second hour of baking. Every time potency and bout doubles if not tripped after freezing and bound continuing baking.

imajoker

pronouncing decarboxylate

pronouncing decarboxylate

ZY carboxylic acid not carbox-a-lick. you all learned how to do this without taking a chemistry course, this is was methlabs were bad, someone not knowing how to even pronounce carboxylic performing lab techniques (this still is chemistry regardless if its a plant in an oven) none of you were supposed to know this (still technically dont) without going to school! it offends me that people give instructions without even knowing anything (other than something they recited). keep decarbazing things though instead of decarboxylating them.

DemonTrich

Veteran
ive been baking edibles for over 5+ years. half the time WRONG tek for decarbing. until I found Skunkfarms tek. the best tek hands down, works flawlessly. I use concentrates in my edibles, either bho, bubble hash, qwet, qwiso, keif, set oven at 290 for 8-9 mins in a covered bowl and DONE.

super potent edibles each and every time. ive yet to have a complaint. I donated a 24 pack of muffins to recent event at Harpos and everyone seemed to enjoy them. at least that's what the feed back was. none of my patients ever complained either...except that a few batches were too strong.

DoDad

I've found time and temps suggested all over the map.

Is there any consensus among the decarboxylation crowd as to which one of these I should use?

1. 240f* - 45 mins.
2. 290f* - 30 mins.
3. 250f* - 27 mins.
4. 310f* - 18 mins.
5. 212f* - 90 mins.
6. 290F* - 9 mins.
7. 220f* - 2 hours

I make canna-coconut oil too, and in my experience there's absolutely no reason to do a separate decarboxylation step. I just throw my weed in a mason jar, cover with oil, and place it in a lightly simmering pan of water with a washcloth underneath. I do roughly 3 heat/cool cycles of 2 hours of heating each. During the first cycle you'll see lots of little bubbles as the carbon dioxide off-gasses. By the third heating there will be hardly any, and what I do see might actually be the residual water in the plant boiling off. If you look at the graph on the previous post you'll see a long, slow heating at 205-201F is just about the perfect temp to get good decarboxylation without decomposing the THC to CBN. If you do a separate step to heat it in an oven at a higher temp, it will cause the low molecular weight terpenes to boil off. Terpenes are part of the medicinal profile of the plant, and IMO you don't want to lose them. Keep it simple.

DoDad

I make canna-coconut oil too, and in my experience there's absolutely no reason to do a separate decarboxylation step. I just throw my weed in a mason jar, cover with oil, and place it in a lightly simmering pan of water with a washcloth underneath. I do roughly 3 heat/cool cycles of 2 hours of heating each. During the first cycle you'll see lots of little bubbles as the carbon dioxide off-gasses. By the third heating there will be hardly any, and what I do see might actually be the residual water in the plant boiling off. If you look at the graph on the previous post you'll see a long, slow heating at 205-201F is just about the perfect temp to get good decarboxylation without decomposing the THC to CBN. If you do a separate step to heat it in an oven at a higher temp, it will cause the low molecular weight terpenes to boil off. Terpenes are part of the medicinal profile of the plant, and IMO you don't want to lose them. Keep it simple.

How do you store it?

TerpeneDream

So we know that un-decarboxylated cannabis won't get you high…

But, how medical is it?! For some reason, I feel it may be even more medicinal…idk