What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

how to take better pics of your plants and flowers?

A lot of guys on here take some of the best pictures of their plants and buds. And mine always turn out not so good. Can anyone help with whats a good camera to use and what kind of lighting? Any help is greatly appreciated. here is a couple pics of how mine turn out

Snype

Veteran
I use a $60 camera. It's all about playing around with the manual settings.

smoke1sun

What Goes Around Comes Around. But Am I Comming Or
Veteran
The thread above would be a good read.....
Also this place has a lot to offer

http://digital-photography-school.com/how-to-photograph-flowers

If you have a tripod I would play around in AV mode and see what you get. And this link can explain why better than I can.

http://www.betterphoto.com/article.asp?id=229

And this link has some free video classes available, that can get you stared.

https://www.udemy.com/courses/search/?q=photography&price=free

Im no pro, but like to play around with photography a lil, funny I never take to many pics of my plants cause they usually look like shit when their done...lol

dreaded

Yea.. i'm having camera issues also. That's what i heard.. just start taking pics... making adjustments...i'll figure it out...:tumbleweed:

I was recommended a panasonic lumix from a couple people on this site.

Got an older version for like 40 bucks on ebay (Panasonic Lumix DSC-ZS6).

I absolutely love it! So simple I just go to AE mode and then set it on macro or macro zoom. This sets the auto zoom for closeups. Perfect for flower pics.

Crusader Rabbit

Veteran
If there is a well lit white background behind your plants, the camera can use that for its light reading and the plant itself will be underexposed ... too dark. Most cameras use the center of the photo for the light reading. With digital cameras it's difficult to get a proper exposure with big contrasts in lighting intensity within the frame.

DamnUglyDogE

Learning the rules well,so as to break them effect
ICMag Donor
Veteran
How about the best Android smart phone Camera and Photo editors ?

I've tried a million of them and have yet to find a simple point and shoot
with a good flowering light setting...

Whats the best and easiest ?

jaytoker

2 general truths

HPS and LED lighting suck for taking pro quality pics

Sun light or CFLs will produce the better quality pics (professional studio lighting is CFL) with sub par cameras

stoned-trout

if it smells like fish
Veteran
you gots to take lots of pics and play with the settings...I take 573 pics per card and prob only keep 10..glad it aint film ......yeehaw...Nikon d70s and 5 lenses

Sisu

Veteran
Post processing helps a lot too. Probably most digital cameras now come with some sort of proprietary software. I mostly use Photoshop for adjustments: white balance and image filter sharpen>unsharp mask are two that are quick and really improve image quality.

Pinball Wizard

The wand chooses the wizard
Veteran
My $100 Cannon PowerShot 490 takes good pics in Macro Mode but, I found the manual Portrait mode is interesting too.
It blocks out the background. I don't know how it does that. :chin:

Attachments

• IMG_0359.jpg
    IMG_0359.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_0363.jpg
    IMG_0363.jpg
    88.9 KB · Views: 35

Jahnice

thicker skin in training
ICMag Donor

try buying a metre of plain coloured cloth that does not wrinkle ex. jersey tshirt material
use it as a backdrop so the camera only focuses on the plant

macro function-small yellow flower
flash on auto

to have your photos enlarged in your post---
insert image
then go to the last line of the image's text and backstroke (erase) 'thumb'

Latest posts

Latest posts