What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

my nikkon lense autofocus dont work anymore help.

supermanlives

Veteran
hey my nikon lense don't auto focus any more. other lenses with auto work so its not the camera. is there any camera pros here? is there anything I can do or check? there aint a camera shop close and I bet a fix would be pricey. nikon d70s my 18-70mm lense is the one giving me issues

RB56

Veteran
hey my nikon lense don't auto focus any more. other lenses with auto work so its not the camera. is there any camera pros here? is there anything I can do or check? there aint a camera shop close and I bet a fix would be pricey. nikon d70s my 18-70mm lense is the one giving me issues
Is there an A/M switch on the lens that might have gotten knocked into the M position? That's what usually gets me.

Weird

3rd-Eye Jedi
Veteran
if you didnt register the product i suggest you write a letter saying you got it as a gift a few months ago and it is no longer working

i have done this before and it works well

neongreen

Veteran
I always use manual focus. Much more control over where to have your focus. It's a long shot, but if you must have auto focus, you could try cleaning the electrical contacts on the lens mount that couple the lens electronically to the body. If they get dirty, sometimes that can stop the lens from working properly.

supermanlives

Veteran
I will try it . got to clean the inside anyhow now as there is a spec of dirt showing up on my lense when I focus. wonder if compressed air for computers and such would work? tried a cleaning cloth gently with no results.

neongreen

Veteran
I will try it . got to clean the inside anyhow now as there is a spec of dirt showing up on my lense when I focus.

Are you sure it's on the lens? Usually small specs on the lens don't show up. More likely it's something on your sensor if it's only showing up in your pics.

wonder if compressed air for computers and such would work? tried a cleaning cloth gently with no results.

A quick blast of compressed air is ok for cleaning loose dust on a lens, but be sure you use it correctly and don't spray the glass with liquid. Chances are if it didn't come off with a gentle wipe with a lens cleaning cloth, it won't come off with canned air.

If you don't have lens cleaning fluid, you can breathe on your lens to mist it up and then use your lens cloth.

TBH I almost never clean my lenses since unless there's lots of crud on there it won't be noticeable in a photo, and too much cleaning will end up scratching the lens coatings.

Sensors on the other hand get a clean every one or two years (none of my DSLRs are recent enough to have a "sensor clean" feature), or until I get fed up with having to clone out dust spots from my photos - but I try to put up with them for as long as I can.

supermanlives

Veteran
thanks man.i will just take pics as is the dirt or whatever is off to the side a bit not center and prob wont be an issue for now. I hope