What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

How to remove 'HPS Orange' quick and easy!

NiteTiger

Tiger, Tiger, burning bright...
Veteran
At one point in time or another, almost every indoor grower posting up pics have had to say 'They don't really look like that, it's just the HPS' or 'I'll get pics when the lights are off'. What else can you do? The HPS lights our girls love are a photographers worst nightmare, turning our beautiful babies into something that looks like it was grown in a nuclear reactor. Fear not, because removing that glow can be as easy as One, Two, Three!

Now, first of all, you'll need Adobe Photoshop. It's the industry standard, for good reason, and that's what I'll be using here. If you don't have it, get it, I consider it a must for anyone that is serious about digital imaging. If you don't have it and can't afford the $600 price tag, there are other options :wink: PM me if you don't know them :listen2:

First, we'll open our picture in Photoshop (I'm using version CS2, but it's the same in older versions). File>Open> Browse to your picture>Highlight it>Open

Now go up to the Image menu at the top of the page. Slide down to Adjustments, then to Curves.
5121curvesadjust1.jpg

The Curves window will open, and look all intimidating with it's graphs and fancy options. Ignore it, all you're interested in is the three little eyedroppers in the lower right hand corner. The one at the far right, when moused over, will tell you it's for setting the White point.

5121curvesadjust2.jpg

Click on that, and move your mouse over your picture. you'll notice it has changed to the eyedropper. Move the tip of the eyedropper over something white in your picture. In this case, I chose the extension cord, because it should look white, and it's not too close to the light, or too far away. Click your point, and watch the dreaded 'HPS Orange' disappear!
5121curvesadjust3.jpg

Now, you can stop. Just click 'Ok' and save your picture! however, if you want to get a truer picture, go ahead and set your Black Point and Gray Point as well. For reference, I used the Black buckets and Gray INTERIOR of the tubblers for this pic.

5121curvesadjustfinal.jpg

It can be used for any situation where your color is off, for whatever reason. Here's an example of removing the blue/purple tint cast by fluroescent grow bulbs.

Happy Growing, and enjoy being able to show off your girls without pulling them out of the room, or waiting for lights out! Any questions, just post 'em up.
:wave:

Dutchgrown

----
Veteran
Photoshop is an amazing program. A bit intimidating with all the fancy options,
but simple and easy how-to threads like this should help everyone.

Thanks for sharing this step-by-step process which should help alot of members. (me included :pointlaug )

:kitty:
dg

G

good info..i have tried before to edit in photoshop but without succes so thank you for this one..

take care

marimbas

thats great man! but how would you remove those black lines that get across, when you take a picture at a hps room?

Im thinking about using a filter... but i dont know

Capt. Crip

Strain Seeker/Mirage Reading Master
Veteran
Killer info

Killer info

Thanks for the info Tiger!!
Should help a lot of us..
Take care........................CC

Delta9-THC

from the mists and the shadows .... there you wil
Veteran
nice one nite ...... I was trying to do this but couldnt figure it out... lol
I had that (well a very similar box ) open in my program ........ now I know what to reference against damn its been hard .....

G

Thanks NiteTiger, Unfortinately I have the Photoshop limited edition. And those functions are greyed out. And not avabilable in this edition. But thanks for the info, you've helped many others.

NiteTiger

Tiger, Tiger, burning bright...
Veteran
Mace, This is for the folks who try to avoid messing with the girls while they're sleeping at all costs, like me :)

Chodo, yep, a white balance setting of -1.0 or there abouts will usually do the trick too, but I hate adjusting the settings on my camera for grow shots. My stoned ass always forgets to reset it, and the next time I snatch up my camera to catch that perfect shot - DOH! :D

BIGGER BUD

Nice one NT makes loads better quality, never had much joy playing around with photoshop.
Always too wasted.
Top tutorial mate!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

S

strain_searcher

Its possible to get rid of the orange right when you take the picture if you have an Fstop and shutter speed control on your camera. Alot of my pics were taken with light on and you dont see bright orange.

Nite, Nice tips!!!! Im still using Paint & shit...

If you have a camera that accepts screw on filters you can also use Blue colored filters to remove the HPS orange. I posted a thread on OG a while back where I had lots of test photos with and without a blue filter.

I was using an 80B which really enchanced the whites under my HPS.

Thanks again for the PS tip!