What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

What do ya'll do when the heat hits?

AgentPothead

Just this guy, ya know?
We are supposed to get temperatures into the 100s this weekend which is pretty crazy for our area. What do you guys do for your plants when it gets this hot? I have a sun shade I can use to cover a few of them, used it when they first got transplanted so no sun bleaching.

AgentPothead

Just this guy, ya know?
Thanks everybody for the responses.
Isn't only supposed to get superhot for like, a day and a half?
yeah it's only going to be a day but for plants that are used to growing in the 80s to maybe the 90s Max I'm just worried a hundred is going to be too much.

SolarLogos

Thanks everybody for the responses.

yeah it's only going to be a day but for plants that are used to growing in the 80s to maybe the 90s Max I'm just worried a hundred is going to be too much.
I have to grow in 100-106f weather every year. It all depends on how acclimated the plants are. If you have had at least a couple weeks where the temps bounce around in the low to mid 90's before hitting the 100, you should be just fine. The only time I had problems was last year, we went from mid 80's, then 3 days of 90's then on the 4th day, 105, 106, 104, etc., and that will burn your plants. The leaves curl under like N toxicity, but instead of burnt tips, half the leaves dry up.
I start seeds all the time in 95-100+ heat outdoors in the sun. If the plant open in the sun and heat, it seems to immediately adjust. If it's the 1st few days of a plants life, I will move it to the shade about 3pm, the hottest part of the day, but only if it is around 103 or more.
If your plants are acclimated to warm temps (90's for 2 or 3 weeks), you will probably be fine. Otherwise, move them to the shade or put a shade cloth out from about 1-2pm until it cools.
Good luck with your grow.
Peace, God bless

St. Phatty

It depends if your plants are in Pots or in the ground.

If they're in black pots, go stick your hand in the soil at the hottest part of the day.

If it's alarmingly hot, you should water.

I use black pots and one of the fix-it items I never get around to is, spray painting them white.

AgentPothead

Just this guy, ya know?
My problem is my outdoor are all in the ground proper, no pots. I get what you are saying about the acclimation, I mean tropical sativas grow in 100+ all the time right? Hopefully it's been warm enough this year they don't immediately keel over from 1 day. Thanks for the information and the luck :)

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Water, 2x a day (early AM, dusk), adding nutes with dusk feeding every other watering.

I'mback

Comfortably numb!
One more reason why I grow indoors, and rest during the summer. Not only can I control pests (knock on wood, no pests to date) but the climate as well. My tent sits in an AC room. My problem is the cold during winter, an oil filled radiator on a temp control handles that. Both units are in the room and provided properly "climatized air" into the bottom of the tent via a HEPA filter, pulled by neg pressure the exhaust fan provides. A lot easier than trying to control mother nature. Not cheap in comparison but, a lot less issues to deal with, to include but not limited to loosing a complete run $$$.

Babbabud

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
If your plants are in small pots i might be concerned, if in the ground not at all. I come from Norcal .. inland .. where the days get to 100 on the regular. Ive seen a cpl weeks of over 100 degrees at a time and plants never have a problem. The people in the Redding area and south have even hotter temps then us.110 - 115 at times and grow some amazing plants without shade cloths of any kind. Hope this helps ... good luck.

AgentPothead

Just this guy, ya know?
Oh I still have multiple tent grows going, but I mean, free light, free fertilizer, what's not to love :D And yes thank you everybody taking the time to respond!

'Boogieman'

I water early morning or late evening when needed and use kelp extract mixed with full power and pro tekt. The idea in my head is that kelp helps reduce stress and increase resistance to heat and drought. My soil mix also contains 5% vermiculite which helps with water a bit. July and August are my hardest months due to the heat and humidity but push through it and it will be worth it.

Set up a mister loop, can get parts at home depot. As long as you can get a pressurized hose out to the spot. Pretty cheap too. Drops air temps by about 10-15 degrees if you do it right and things can't dry out. They are low GPH, so you can leave them running all day if you want to.

I've been using agribon cover in cheezy tent i rigged up and my girls are all doing great. Blocks about 15% of light, i can physically feel the difference in light intensity when I go inside. It's white so it diffuses the light pretty well too. If you ordered it today from Johnny's seeds it would be here tomorrow, about 25 bucks for 50ft, 60 for 250ft.

pipeline

Cannabotanist
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Water, 2x a day (early AM, dusk), adding nutes with dusk feeding every other watering.

Do not do this. It will promote root diseases and deprive the roots of air/oxygen. In containers with rootbound plants, this may be advisable, but its still too often.

I follow general horticultural recommondations similar to other crops like turfgrass or corn. Need about 1 inch per week unless 90+F, then water 2+ inches. In ground, water once per week usually or if its hot water twice a week every 3-4 days.

Nitrogen usage is similar between corn and turfgrass. 3 lbs N per year is recommended just for a comparison.

picture.php

thedudefresco

Mulch is very important in my experience. When it gets super hot here, all my plants wilt, but after watering them, they perk back up overnight.

Latest posts

Latest posts