What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Damn. Finally really happened. I'm old.

M

moose eater

If what seems to be cysts are symmetrical, appearing equally on both arms/biceps, that may be some adaptation/changes to muscle, etc. over time.

I had a test come back potentially indicative of the C word, and they want me back in for testing (right about now), but the last time I was in for what he billed as a 'thorough/full/complete physical' to my insurance, he never even put a stethoscope to me, nor felt my liver or related organs through the diaphragm (which there's been a minor history of issues with), etc., leaving me to conclude that he either has a great deal of faith in my level of health, or he now sees mostly dollar bills when he opens his eyes.

Jury's still out on all of it; his motivations, and the C word.

dddaver

Veteran
I gotta go see the Doc - I have what I think are 2 sebaceous cysts on the underside of both arms - kinda between the bicep and tricep - just under the skin.

plus I'm getting these odd spots on my shins that don't seem to go away - I detest having to go see a Doc - and usually leave it till I absolutely have to.

I WAS just like that. Now I see a dermatologist every 3 months. Because I've had skin cancer 4 times. All 3 kinds of skin cancer too.

Started with melanoma en situ, then squamous cell carcinoma, then basal cell carcinoma. Dude literally saved my life a few times.

When I was 50 I first went for these recurring warts on my neck. I had this big "birthmark" on one arm. He was actually walking out the door while chatting and I mentioned my brother had a mole cut off that tested positive for melanoma in situ. He did abrupt around about face and said we better biopsy that thing. Then when he called to say I had cancer thank god there was a chair behind make as I definitely would have fallen on my ass. Melanomas are deadly.

I had a surgeon do MOS procedure for a squamous cell on my neck he found. That's where they slice the thing and look at the tissue under a microscope right there. And slice again until they see no cancerous cells in the margins. Old and basic technique but it has the highest rate of success of any treatment.

He saw a spot on my wrist that he said we have to watch that. Sure enough it grew and he sliced it off. Tested positive for basal cell. He also took a big ole basal cell from my thigh. Tested positive.

I've also had a sebaceous cyst cut out of my neck. It was nothing.

But every 3 months now when I see the knife happy son of a bitch :biggrin: he zaps these little actinic keratitis pustules with his liquid nitrogen or slices something off. Damn my fair skin. Given my history though, I'm glad he does.

Don't let me scare you. The slices are very shallow and I feel nothing except the prick from the lidocaine. I feel very lucky actually. Especially considering the alternative (deader than hell :biggrin:).

But don't mess around and dawdle dude. GO. Added bonus, I think the Brit healthcare system will cover it. Mine does here just because I'm otherwise disabled. Anyway, GO DUDE. Might be nothing. Better to know.

Mick

Veteran
Yes, the Doctor we see is surprised (when he looks at our files) we are not 'on' any pills. We're 71 and 70.

We live in the bush on stand alone solar and draw lots of water and chop lots of wood. This is what keeps us alive, I am sure.

I would never worry about living too long. Each day for us brings something new either in sight or sound from the Nature that surrounds us. We live in either a macrocosm or a microcosm of

Nature depending how we choose to 'see'. This morning there was a Brown Pigeon hooting its mating call.

Even when we are so aged we can't leave the verandah (porch) there is a wonder of life to see before us ... and euthanasia will allow us to watch our Death with a great deal of interest ...

Cheers All ...

It's all a hideous scam. First the system tries to convince us that eating chemical laden food is not going to eventually make us sick, and then it also convinces us that at some point we are going to need a whole other group of poisons to manage the effects of the first. Yay capitalism.

Gypsy Nirvana

Recalcitrant Reprobate -
Administrator
Veteran
Yes - I have had a few small sebaceous cysts removed over the years - so I know that is just a 10 minute surgical procedure - not really worried about that - but hey you never know - I'll book an appointment this morning .

I'm not on any medication from the Doc currently - I take just a bit of cannabis quite regularly to help alleviate my back problem - which has been with me since a gym accident in the 90's - so I'm not in too bad of a shape for being almost 60 years old.

Thanks for the info dddaver - sounds like you have really had a lot of problems with your skin, and I hope you don't get any more.

Just need to get these odd spots checked -
I WAS just like that. Now I see a dermatologist every 3 months. Because I've had skin cancer 4 times. All 3 kinds of skin cancer too.

Started with melanoma en situ, then squamous cell carcinoma, then basal cell carcinoma. Dude literally saved my life a few times.

When I was 50 I first went for these recurring warts on my neck. I had this big "birthmark" on one arm. He was actually walking out the door while chatting and I mentioned my brother had a mole cut off that tested positive for melanoma in situ. He did abrupt around about face and said we better biopsy that thing. Then when he called to say I had cancer thank god there was a chair behind make as I definitely would have fallen on my ass. Melanomas are deadly.

I had a surgeon do MOS procedure for a squamous cell on my neck he found. That's where they slice the thing and look at the tissue under a microscope right there. And slice again until they see no cancerous cells in the margins. Old and basic technique but it has the highest rate of success of any treatment.

He saw a spot on my wrist that he said we have to watch that. Sure enough it grew and he sliced it off. Tested positive for basal cell. He also took a big ole basal cell from my thigh. Tested positive.

I've also had a sebaceous cyst cut out of my neck. It was nothing.

But every 3 months now when I see the knife happy son of a bitch :biggrin: he zaps these little actinic keratitis pustules with his liquid nitrogen or slices something off. Damn my fair skin. Given my history though, I'm glad he does.

Don't let me scare you. The slices are very shallow and I feel nothing except the prick from the lidocaine. I feel very lucky actually. Especially considering the alternative (deader than hell :biggrin:).

But don't mess around and dawdle dude. GO. Added bonus, I think the Brit healthcare system will cover it. Mine does here just because I'm otherwise disabled. Anyway, GO DUDE. Might be nothing. Better to know.

Zeez

---------------->
ICMag Donor
No big deal. It's just a hair follicle went wrong. Zip zip, ten minutes and you have a stitch or two. It's over. Rarely malignant. If you let them go then they get bigger and there is more chance for something to run amuck.

grayeyes

Loving this thread. Now I know I am not the only one at 65 that has to deal with this crap.
Had cataracts in both eyes removed. Blindness is scary stuff. For those who are getting dentures, please pick them up when you can't stand them in your mouth. Your doggy watches you and if they are good enough for you to chew then the dog will give it a try. I am waiting for mine to come back.

Now the real po!!! Backaches for no damned reason. What is up with that? There are times when I am fine then wonk! muscles in my back tighten up and get pulled. Nothing as much fun as laying on the floor not being able to move.

Gypsy, they now make hearing aids that slide all the way in and no one can see.

Now, let's move on the the real nasty bit. What about this psoraisis crap? Don't get me started.

Good thing we all found the magic plant. It sure helps.

M

moose eater

grayeyes, nerves get pinched or compromised over time, sending what must be bizarre signals to the brain, and the muscles do as they're told, even if it makes no sense to the 'vessel' they're contained in. body is, to some extent, on auto-pilot.

When I wake up in the morning, and engage in that once-upon-a-time-so-good stretch and yawn, tightening every muscle, and extending my body while horizontal, my legs (left leg in particular) have the muscles go into spasms that tighten up the muscles and tendons down the outside of the leg, especially the calf muscles, so tightly that it partially dislocates the ankle joint.

(*One problem, and benefit, with joints repeatedly dislocating is that it becomes easier over time for the joint to go where it's not supposed to).

Occasionally the right side does this too.

When I've spoken with a Doc or 3 about this, I get the dead-pan, "Huh." look.

Unsolvable issues which they find themselves less-than-informed about don't allow those whose egos are hungry the opportunity for the boost of having helpful tips.

So, more mornings than not, after my legs have gone bizarre, and my toes on the left foot, in particular, are doing the Spock greeting, I swing my legs out of bed, and force the ankle(s) back to where they belong. Which happens easier now that it's occurred so many times.

And the decreased trauma to the area, as a result of it having happened so many times, means that it's not so painful as to inherently release endorphins during the process, unless it's -really- bad, so I often get to skip the sensation of nausea after the initial dislocation.

Cheap thrills.

T

Teddybrae

Or you have Liver trouble. Get it checked out!

Loving this thread. Now I know I am not the only one at 65 that has to deal with this crap.
Had cataracts in both eyes removed. Blindness is scary stuff. For those who are getting dentures, please pick them up when you can't stand them in your mouth. Your doggy watches you and if they are good enough for you to chew then the dog will give it a try. I am waiting for mine to come back.

Now the real po!!! Backaches for no damned reason. What is up with that? There are times when I am fine then wonk! muscles in my back tighten up and get pulled. Nothing as much fun as laying on the floor not being able to move.

Gypsy, they now make hearing aids that slide all the way in and no one can see.

Now, let's move on the the real nasty bit. What about this psoraisis crap? Don't get me started.

Good thing we all found the magic plant. It sure helps.

EsterEssence

Veteran
Dogs chewing dentures is very common, I like the line in “electric horseman” by “Robert Redford” where he says to “Jane Fonda” some parts take longer to wake up than others. Some never wake up. I’m 65 as well and get to enjoy neuropathy in my feet and hands, have to take more pills than I like for blood pressure, one makes my mouth Dry and one makes me have to pee and there isn’t any public bathrooms in town. I have taken so many tests and they haven’t found anything really wrong so I have taken it upon myself to lose weight 50lbs so far, and riding the stationary bike, I have gotten off one of the blood pressure meds and am working to get off more...

M

moose eater

Ester & slow, I'm out of rep... again.

Thanks for the book reference, slow.

Ester, don't know if you're familiar with it, and you are down on the # of pills you're already taking, but 600mg/day of alpha lipoic acid is known to stave off peripheral neuropathy, per reviewed data, and if A1Cs are an issue contributing to this condition, bitter melon, raw, via a puree made with H2O, has been known to produce miraculous results for some/many.

As with all things, personal research and decisions are key in any approach.

dddaver

Veteran
For all my fellow old folks...

Read this great book. Written long ago, the book is named, "DegenerationRegeneration.

Might help a bit. Our Metabolism changes over time, often for silly nutritional reasons like habits... hahahaha

https://ia800603.us.archive.org/33/items/DegenerationRegeneration/DegenerationRegeneration.pdf
Link didn't work for me. This one did.
https://babel.hathitrust.org/cgi/pt?id=mdp.39015007406088&view=1up&seq=10

I noticed the book was copyrighted in 1949, reprinted a number of times, and deals mostly with nutrition in regards to dental health. So might you please elaborate a little, Mr. Nickle, as to why, since food stuffs and nutrition have changed so much in 60 years, why you think this might be relevant now? No offense. Just curious. I have my doubts whether even the scientific "facts" quoted therein are really true. There may well be newer data by now.

EsterEssence

Veteran
Moose, I’ve heard of alpha lipoid acid, I will check it out. My A1C is 5.2 so it’s called non diabetic neuropathy. Defently Agony of Dafeet...

OranguTrump

Crotchety Old Crotch
I think I tore my right ass cheek muscle, just trying to sit on couch. I'm off today, pain is brutal. I'm old.

M

moose eater

Cool, EE. I wasn't sure of the cause of onset, so tossed that in there.

In the review of studies re. ALA, the primary study touted as proving efficacy involved subjects using 600mg/day delivered IV. I went with oral ingestion at 600mg/day, but not typically time release; nearly always standard caps.

The Doc(s) seem to be somewhat surprised at my ongoing constitution where lack of degradation of nerves/sensory perception in my toes, feet, legs, etc are concerned.

One asserted I must come from stout genetic stock/history. I told him, in light of my knowing about family disposition and history more fully, that, "You don't know the half of it." with a gallows humor attached.

In summary, despite the odds saying I should by now, I have no notable neuropathy at this time. And when they test my feet, etc., with pertinent tools, I'm more there than not.

T

Teddybrae

Nonetheless, I can say with absolute confidence that your day will come ...

Cool, EE. I wasn't sure of the cause of onset, so tossed that in there.

In the review of studies re. ALA, the primary study touted as proving efficacy involved subjects using 600mg/day delivered IV. I went with oral ingestion at 600mg/day, but not typically time release; nearly always standard caps.

The Doc(s) seem to be somewhat surprised at my ongoing constitution where lack of degradation of nerves/sensory perception in my toes, feet, legs, etc are concerned.

One asserted I must come from stout genetic stock/history. I told him, in light of my knowing about family disposition and history more fully, that, "You don't know the half of it." with a gallows humor attached.

In summary, despite the odds saying I should by now, I have no notable neuropathy at this time. And when they test my feet, etc., with pertinent tools, I'm more there than not.

M

moose eater

Nonetheless, I can say with absolute confidence that your day will come ...

The literature I've accessed at a variety of medical sites on-line appears to indicate that, while "(pn) is common among aging persons," not everyone experiences (it).

slownickel

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Link didn't work for me. This one did.
https://babel.hathitrust.org/cgi/pt?id=mdp.39015007406088&view=1up&seq=10

I noticed the book was copyrighted in 1949, reprinted a number of times, and deals mostly with nutrition in regards to dental health. So might you please elaborate a little, Mr. Nickle, as to why, since food stuffs and nutrition have changed so much in 60 years, why you think this might be relevant now? No offense. Just curious. I have my doubts whether even the scientific "facts" quoted therein are really true. There may well be newer data by now.

Read a bit further, he was explaining the concept of metabolism and the importance of this Ca/P ratio in doing so. His data set was graphing Ca/P and then looking at cavities and the result it had on other aspects of human life.

Pretty much demonstrated to me that the Ca/P ratio is critical in human health. Got back my bone soups again and I definitely feel an energy difference.

sdd420

Veteran
Read a bit further, he was explaining the concept of metabolism and the importance of this Ca/P ratio in doing so. His data set was graphing Ca/P and then looking at cavities and the result it had on other aspects of human life.

Pretty much demonstrated to me that the Ca/P ratio is critical in human health. Got back my bone soups again and I definitely feel an energy difference.

Bone soups help?

flylowgethigh

Non-growing Lurker
ICMag Donor
Amazing plant indeed

Amazing plant indeed

So I am almost 65 and have worn out most of my major joints, which makes them remind me often that they are worn out. I am big on reefer and that has not done a thing for the pains.

Then good CBD drops came along. The joint pains are now gone for the most part, which to me is amazing. Isn't that molecule similar to the others, but the effect is so different? The only prescription drug I take is an inhaler which I get for free, so buying the CBD isolate at the drugstore is a nice wash. I also eat cannabutter cookies for the CBN which is a great sleep aid.

I wore out my throat smoking bad bud using beer cans for way too long and had a bad cough. Barlow Herbal in UT makes a throat spray from Lomatium root and it is a miracle worker. That plant is also good for many other health benefits (LDM-100).

I drink water with baking soda with the goal of reducing acidity in my system. The reflux/heartburn is under control so no prilosec/nexium. IMO the real benefit is avoiding cancer from the acidity buildup the crap food is giving people.

BTW, I am a pretty bad alkyhaulic (light beer) and was in pretty good health. That is until I went on a two year binge eating peanut butter and extra salted cashews, which clogged my arteries. Now I am chilating vitimin C (IV injection about 60,000 units) and taking the Pauling therapy vitimin C / Lysine oral treatment (Cardio C).

Getting old isn't for wimps, but it sure beats the alternative.

So far...