What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Vintage Colombian

red rider

ICMag Donor
Veteran
It's all good, no worries. My long time Colombian buddy finally came back from Santa Marta and brought me some Crippy grown there. I guess because I had been taking a break from smoking for awhile, I got like super paranoid. And after some certain events thought I better stop posting so much information. But it's cool, even my wife thought I was acting crazy (the pot calling the kettle black). And I lost some seed but I'll find more. Going out in the countryside tomorrow for a few days to check out another location. I'll curb my desire to elaborate on how "superior" the Colombian is to me. Some things need to be experienced to be believed.

bigherb

Veteran
Red

Were all intitled to our opinions ,thats all you did in reguard to Colombian being the best in your life . The Idea of Sweet spot tropic grown being higher quality compared to your best indoor setup .Is somthing i dont believe has been proven yet

But believe i share the same opinion as you an ive never experienced any high quality import sativa of yesteryear or recent times . It just doesnt seem possible to reciplicate every aspect of a native environment

BTW
You share a Similar opinion to Sams who has stated OHaze was the Best in his opinion which was/is a Colombian .Im curious what his opinion is on the Sweet spot grown strains of origin VS the same strain grown in the Most Hi Tech Indoor controlled environment

Shit i still think Frankies is my top Smoke ever .Until my opinion is swaded i stick with that to the grave an you should not curb any thoughts or feelings in speaking of your experience

opinions are like assholes we all have one

1luvbigherb

bigherb

Veteran
Nevilles Haze supposedly grown outdoor

maybe a Colombian Dom pheno ?

Pure Incense ,Sandlewood ,Pine just Divine .Traits i imagine might come from certain Lumbo such as Red an Gold types

1luvbigherb

Attachments

• Haze n Holidaze 070.jpg
    Haze n Holidaze 070.jpg
    127.5 KB · Views: 32
  • Haze n Holidaze 085.jpg
    Haze n Holidaze 085.jpg
    130.6 KB · Views: 25
  • Haze n Holidaze 068.jpg
    Haze n Holidaze 068.jpg
    135.1 KB · Views: 28

Mustafunk

Brand new oldschool
Veteran
france makes the best wine ,cuba the best cigars, columbia the best weed

You mean Colombia or BC? That sentece is pure hype, one thing is personal taste or subjectivity and another differeng thing is unbiased reality based on facts. Colombia and any tropical niche is great for weed because of its latitude, elevation, sun radiation and climate. So not better than Thailand, Indonesia, Hawaii, Jamaica or the Mexican tropics. I respect romanticism though, I have mine with African strains too as many others here have their own grail... :)

And by the way, France and Italy both buy wine and olive oil to Spanish producers to sell them as their own. So all the snobs from UK, USA and all the big cities worldwide where the gross exports sell will spend the money on them and think they are so cool buying the alpha & omega. :biggrin:

They are simply better with marketing and selling as you just proved, same happens in cannabussines, most weed sold in Holland comes from Spain too, although many strains still suck lol. So all this claims are mostly based on marketing trends and what's been traditionally said. I'm sure this happens with absolutely all the market products globally. Say japanese cameras, german cars, clothing and even women.

:tiphat:

Last edited:

Sam_Skunkman

"RESIN BREEDER"
Veteran
Most weed sold in Holland comes from Spain?
Are you really sure this is true? Most weed?
I ask because I know folks that grow it here and send it there, Holland has been a Cannabis and Cannabis resin exporting nation for decades, huge amounts get grown and/or imported and then transported to the rest of Europe.

I personally believe that genetics are way more important then environment, as long as the environment allows the flowers to fully mature. I can create almost any environmental conditions in a greenhouse. That and greenhouse grown suffers less damage due to wind, rain, and other outdoor problems.
BTW, the best herb I smoked was Original Haze, hands down, way better then the very, very, best seedless Colombian, the Haze had way more terpenes and the buds were not squashed for transport.
I smoked the Colombian that the Original Haze came from, most of the Haze grown in Calif was way way better. Even though grown in a greenhouse in Santa Cruz with the plants finishing in Dec, Jan.
Drying, curing, transport is tough on great Cannabis grown in the tropics, unless you take the time to dry, cure, transport it, and consume it in a manner that keeps it in the very best condition.
I never ever saw Colombian from Colombia with as big of bracts as the greenhouse Santa Cruz Original Haze, or with as much resin or terpenes, why is that?
I have smoked a lot of movers personal stash they brought special from Colombia in very small amounts, not for sale, they could not get tons of the very very best.
I am not saying that the local Colombian environment may not be the best for a local Colombian variety, I am saying that is not enough if they dry in the sun, press the buds, allow the product to be seeded, or a million other things that degrade quality that is produced in traditional Cannabis cultivation areas. Transport may be the worst offender.
All that said, I really love NLD varieties, although I may well prefer the plant to be grown by me, and dried, cured, and stored, as well as consumed. I can do it better then almost any tradition Cannabis producer. I can use the clones of only the very very best plants found in past crops from seed, for example. So the crop is only the best of the best.

As for someone that said environment is more important then genetics, I can give you seeds that do not produce THC, and I assure you that regardless what you do in any environment they will be useless for recreational use. Unless you alter the genetics by hybridization.

Sideshow-Bob,
"Also the best herb gets boring if you have no variety to choose from."
May I suggest you need better best herb?
I would smoke the very best over the rest almost every time. I have for decades, as nothing else was even close, and I assure you I get what I am looking for every hit I take. I do not find it boring, I find the lesser qualities boring.
All you need is the very best that you like the effects and taste of, and that the variety has a ceiling-less potency, every toke, every time. If the herb does not do it try dry sift or water sift made from it, I can assure you it is not boring in the slightest, even after 20 years....
At least to me, others may feel different.

-SamS

You mean Colombia or BC? That sentece is pure hype, one thing is personal taste or subjectivity and another differeng thing is unbiased reality based on facts. Colombia and any tropical niche is great for weed because of its latitude, elevation, sun radiation and climate. So not better than Thailand, Indonesia, Hawaii, Jamaica or the Mexican tropics. I respect romanticism though, I have mine with African strains too as many others here have their own grail... :)

And by the way, France and Italy both buy wine and olive oil to Spanish producers to sell them as their own. So all the snobs from UK, USA and all the big cities worldwide where the gross exports sell will spend the money on them and think they are so cool buying the alpha & omega. :biggrin:

They are simply better with marketing and selling as you just proved, same happens in cannabussines, most weed sold in Holland comes from Spain too, although many strains still suck lol. So all this claims are mostly based on marketing trends and what's been traditionally said. I'm sure this happens with absolutely all the market products globally. Say japanese cameras, german cars, clothing and even women.

Last edited:

red rider

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Replication

Replication

In 2006 I grew out a female (NLD) from the Sierra Nevada de Santa Marta (Colombian gold) and I pollenated it with a Dutch (WLD) Afghan male. The F-1 offspring that was created was grown out to produce flower that I’m sure most would say was better than the mother plant. The F-1 grew faster, shorter and flowered in half the time than the mother. The offspring also was much more aromatic and potent than the mother, most would say the WLD genes improved the mother plants genetics

attachment.php

Santa Marta Gold

And indeed it did in so many aspects. However something very important was lost and maybe the most important thing, the complexity of the effect had been altered. Yes the F-1 was noticeable more potent, stronger with a much quicker onset. But unlike the mother plant the effect was muddied, confusing with a quicker tolerance and dirty finish. Although I enjoyed the F-1 I preferred the effect of the mother plant. Both were very euphoric both had long lasting effects but the mother plant had a more complex, thought provoking effect that I like.

attachment.php

Afghan WLD

In conclusion I find stronger or more potent is not necessarily better in terms of “quality” of effect. This aspect only applies to a connoisseur level because for mass produced commercial purposes the F-1 wins hands down.

attachment.php

SMG X Afghan F-1

Sam your statements are based on factual personal experience and there for are validated. I am not challenging your facts, I only want to interject these speculations. I am under the impression that there are three/four variables in producing high quality drug strain “marijuana”. One of course being genetics, you obviously can’t grow Haze from hemp seeds. Two growing conditions, shade VS light and soil nutrition and water all affect growth. Then number three harvest window, late, early or just right. And finally the last drying and cure. It is my impression that you’re saying genetics are the number one important factor to quality. But without sufficient light and nutrients and/or early or late harvest. The quality of even the finest genetics will not be expressed. For example, good old Mexican brick, we’ve all seen nasty brick weed that hammers your head with low potency headaches. Looks bad smells bad, tastes terrible, and smokes bad. But you take a brick seed and grow it under super powerful lights in nutrient rich hydro allowing the plant to grow to maturity and cure it, the finished flower is nothing at all like the nasty brick it came from. So my question is aren’t all four elements necessary to produce high quality “marijuana”? If just one element is sub-par wouldn’t that affect the overall quality of the flower regardless of its genetic makeup? Like taking the best clone genetically speaking and grow it in dirt under a tree in North Dakota cut it early and brick it before it’s dry. Would it still be of higher quality than the Mexican brick grown on the super lights in hydro harvested properly and cured?

To take my “assumptions” even further, cannabis is a plant a natural creation. Doesn’t it make sense that it can only reach perfection under optimal “natural” growing conditions? When I say “perfection” I’m referring the “quality” of the effect not sheer potency. Of course under controlled artificial conditions the plant will grow bigger faster and even increase its resin production, but under even the best artificial growing conditions wouldn’t the “complexity” of the effect be less than its natural grown counterpart? Also why is it that the most desirable cannabinoid profiles originate from high altitude tropical regions though out the world? For example high quality Colombian seed grown outdoors in Canada for say 10 consecutive generations of unaltered inbreeding would it result in a plant much less desirable than the original Colombian grown mother? Would the genetics be altered due to the different natural growing conditions?

Attachments

• PICT4676.jpg
    PICT4676.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 28
  • PICT5888.jpg
    PICT5888.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 25
  • ColoXAfg2 c.jpg
    ColoXAfg2 c.jpg
    120.5 KB · Views: 28
Last edited:

red rider

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Sidewalk weed

Sidewalk weed

The other day I took the wife to get her a taxi and after she got in one I looked down on the ground and a half joint (big roach really). When she took off in the taxi I snatched the roach up for further investigation at home. When tore the paper off the weed inside was a beautiful reddish gold color and reeked with a strong “lumbo” smell. I put a piece of the roach in my one hit iced water bong and took a huge hit. The smoke instantly seared my lungs making me cough my head off. It tasted terrible but I loaded the bong again after finishing to cough. Two big bong hits and a half hour later I was baked, really couch lock. I had no desire to move at all, I didn’t want to do anything for about an hour then I got the munchies so bad I felt my backbone coming through my stomach. I forced myself to make something to eat and then crashed for maybe two hours. When I woke up I felt like shit, dry mouth, headache and overall grogginess. Threw the rest of the roach away, whoever is smoking that stuff can keep it. Very strong negative effect on me.

Here is one of my wife's "house plants" she grows in the kitchen window sill. It came from seed I found in a batch of Crippy (very rare to find a seed). I put it in the direct sun and it wilted after about 20 minutes so returned to the kitchen. The wife accused me of trying to kill her plant because I'm jealous. Not.
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• CAM00602.jpg
    CAM00602.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 20
  • CAM00601.jpg
    CAM00601.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 20
  • CAM00600.jpg
    CAM00600.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 23

Sideshow-Bob

Veteran
Sideshow-Bob,
"Also the best herb gets boring if you have no variety to choose from."
May I suggest you need better best herb?
I would smoke the very best over the rest almost every time. I have for decades, as nothing else was even close, and I assure you I get what I am looking for every hit I take. I do not find it boring, I find the lesser qualities boring.
All you need is the very best that you like the effects and taste of, and that the variety has a ceiling-less potency, every toke, every time. If the herb does not do it try dry sift or water sift made from it, I can assure you it is not boring in the slightest, even after 20 years....

-SamS

Greetings Sam :)

I think you misunderstood what i was trying to express. Of course i too prefer "the best" over "the rest", but i was trying to say i'd rather have my top ten genetics than only my number one - variety is the spice of life, my favorite meal tastes all the much better when i haven't eaten it everyday for the past 20 years...

Of course the quest for better herb is never finished, but i am pretty happy with what i have... Here's some drysift of one of my favorite selections, skunk x haze:

picture.php

One of my "best" strains, i have smoked her daily for 3 months straight and on the last day she got me as high as on the first day :) Somebody did a very good job breeding these ;) (thanks!!!)

although i love the skunkhaze i wouldn't want to miss the other great genetics i'm lucky enough to enjoy (most of which i haven't selected myself, like the amsterdam silver pearl clone for example)

But should you feel that i am missing out on good genetics feel free to hit me up anytime with something from your personal collection :D

good vibes!

red rider

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Not for a minute saying I disagree with you Bob but let’s look at some comparisons.
Women, I can honestly say I am physically attracted every beautiful woman I see. In my mind I want to try them to experience their “uniqueness”. But the reality is I can’t and as a result I found the one woman that is the best for me. She satisfies me to the fullest and although the others may seem more inviting they aren’t any better than what I have. I never get tired of my wife even after years of being with her.
Beer, when I use to drink I had a brand of beer that I liked. Sure I tried many different types and even drank them regularly for short periods but I always came back to my brand and never got tired of drinking it.
Cigarettes, I’ve been smoking the same brand for forty years, no need to look further.
I know these aren’t good comparisons but I think variety is something you do to try to find the “one”. And once you have found her you never trier of her and you look no further. I’m not suggesting that my organically outdoor grown Colombian is better other strains, be they cultivated indoors or out. What I’m trying to say is that to me it is and without a comparison you can’t say that it is not. The rareness of these strains are what make them unique, very few if any outsiders have tried them. All I’m trying to say is that after years of trying many strains I have found the “one” and I would like for everyone to have the opportunity to make a comparison on their own.
By the way my dogs better than your. Just joking.

satva

Veteran
vaped some of my favorite red snake plant

Happy New Year Bob, and thank you for documenting some great sativa grows on ICMag.

On your Red Snake comment, I wanted to be clear.
Is Red Snake (Punto Rojo / Oaxacan) your favorite strain? or,
Do you have a favorite Red Snake pheno-type plant selection?

For 2015, I thinking about Red Snake, Reina Madre, and Thai Haze x Skunk. USC at one time made a Reine Madre x Colombian Gold.

ThaiBliss

Veteran
My grow cabinet is a sweet spot. I once grew the best weed I ever smoked in that cabinet, one particular Haze hybrid individual. I think it may have been better if grown in the highlands of Colombia.

I wish I still had that plant, but I have been searching for a mother to breed to some seeds from it, for 10 years. In the meantime, I like the variety I come across during the search.

Here is a (Purple phenotype of Haze (Purple Highland or Punto Rojo?) crossed with Thai) x (Purple Mexican Zacatecas (or possibly Haze some say) crossed with Afghani (possibly Northern Lights)):

picture.php

Clear as mud? I should just say I'm not sure of the genetics or better yet, a Colombian cross.
:laughing:

It turned purple upon curing.

Thai is my favorite, but I'll try Colombian while searching for a mate, because people in Colombia grew some world class stuff back in the day.

ThaiBliss

Mikell

Dipshit Know-Nothing
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Aye, that's a beauty :)

This concept usually doesn't sit right with indoor enthusiasts.

Drag this topic into the main forum and you'd have a knife fight on your hands. Mass producers are so hostile to the idea, legislation was passed mid 20th century in the US to counteract the idea that one region can grow something unique or different from another. A potato is a potato is a potato, as their bunkum logic dictates.

I don't think anyone said that, Sam?

My thinking is in line with RR, each component makes up the whole.

B

Bob Green

Fuck man I would love a giant climate controlled walk inn humador so I could just hang all kinds of branches and pick from them as I please. Then build shelves inside of it for jars of the best of the best.

red rider

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Unique Regionals

Unique Regionals

Vidalia onion
The onions are Vidalia because of where they are grown, Vidalia, Georgia, which started in the early 1930s. The different varieties are unusually sweet, due to the low amount of sulfur in the soil in which the onions are grown.
Champagne
Is a sparkling wine produced from grapes grown in the Champagne region of France following rules that demand secondary fermentation of the wine in the bottle to create carbonation. Some use the term Champagne as a generic term for sparkling wine, but the majority of countries reserve the term exclusively for sparkling wines that come from Champagne.
Cuban cigars
Cuba has what some see as the perfect environment for growing cigar tobacco. The island's soil allows the plants to produce very high quality leaves, said Alan Dye, a professor of economics at Columbia University who specializes in Cuban studies. In particular, the tobacco leaves used for the wrappers, considered the most important part of the cigar, attain an exceptionally perfect form in Cuba, he told Life's Little Mysteries. In addition to the environmental factors, Cubans have hundreds of years of experience with the crop, providing them with highly refined timetables for harvest and rolling techniques.
Petrossian Caviar
So what makes Petrossian caviar special? It starts with the sturgeon: whereas other producers pull the fish as soon as it matures, Petrossian allows the sturgeons to age, giving their caviar a fuller, more robust flavor. Working with specialists at the world’s finest caviar refineries, the roe undergoes a specific salting process, giving the caviar beads the delicate accent of “malossol” – meaning “little salt.”
Cocoa beans
The "Ariba" bean from Central America is the finest of all cocoa beans due to its pronounced character and intense flavor.
Colombian coffee
The higher the area a coffee is grown, the better the coffee is. Colombian coffee is grown in high mountainous areas and as a result tastes better than coffee grown at an elevation of 500 feet in Brazil or coffee grown at sea level in Vietnam

Green Squall

That SMG x Afghan is really pretty looking. Definitely caught my eye. Was that just grown on your deck? I'm a sucker for afghans. Very interesting cross
petard2.gif

red rider

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Patio grow

Patio grow

That SMG x Afghan is really pretty looking. Definitely caught my eye. Was that just grown on your deck? I'm a sucker for afghans. Very interesting cross View Image

Hi, yes it was an excellent cross, grown right on my patio outside of Bogota.

attachment.php

Hiding rider

The Afghan really changed the Colombian, giving her more density and aroma. As well as a much quicker finishing time.

attachment.php

Left Nirvana Afghan F-2 Right Colombian X Afghan F-1

It also made the effect stronger and harder hitting. I liked the cross but I still prefer the pure Colombian in most cases (except at bedtime).

attachment.php

Colombian X Afghan 2007

Attachments

• Snap 1.jpg
    Snap 1.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 23
  • Gdoggy starting to show some colours
    Gdoggy starting to show some colours
    102.4 KB · Views: 51
  • ColoXAF.jpg
    ColoXAF.jpg
    99.4 KB · Views: 23

red rider

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Historical fantasy#1

Historical fantasy#1

Just for fun I've been writing some short stories.

1969 northeastern coast South America
Pedro opened his eyes and slipped out of his hammock to the sound of the cock’s crow. He was happy and excited, today was a big day for him and his family, the best day of the year actually. His wife and 9 kids were already up cooking breakfast. He put on his rubber work boots and walked out on to his front porch, the sun was burning off the misty fog filled lush valley before him. His wife handed him a cup of coffee and a hot cheese arepa and he walked out to get his burrows ready for a trip up the snowcapped mountain that towered behind his house. Pedro finished his breakfast and gathered up his four older children to accompany him to the mountain. It had been almost eight months since he planted the seedlings he had selected to grow. Loading the burrows with empty burlap coffee bags and lunch for the day, he and his children started up the winding path to his small plot of land. His harvest lie fermenting in the intense tropical sunshine high on the side of the mountain. He had timed his harvest so that it was finished in the dry season as not to be ruined by the rain. When they reached his plot of land his harvest looked beautiful to him and he smiled. Golden clumps of seedless cannabis lay glistening in the brilliant sun shine, the aroma was like exotic incense filling the breeze. Days before they had cut down the huge Sativa plants and removed all the useless fan leaves and stems leaving only the swollen sun ripened colitas. They carefully began to pack the burlap coffee bags with the finish flowers and load the sleepy burrows with them. This was not Pedro’s first harvest he had started cultivating this plant many years ago with his father. He learned from his father how to plant the seeds, how to select the strongest plants for transplant in the high altitude field. He had also learned how and when to take the male plants so his crop would be “sinsemilla”. Also he knew just when to harvest the plants, allowing them to reach full maturity before taking them. He was proud of his crop and this year’s harvest was the best yet. They finished packing the bags and loaded up the complaining burrows with them and started back down the mountain. He didn’t have a scale but he had 10 coffee bags full and this was a record year for them. The children stayed at the house as he continued with the burrows down the mountain to the river below.
Tony was a 19 year old adventurer from south Florida, he had made this trip once before but he was still very anxious as he waited in the small wooden river boat. His partner a Mexican from Texas was nervously scanning the tree line of the jungle near the shore of the swollen river. The sun was going down when Pedro emerged from the thick jungle with his cargo. He smiled and waved as Tony moved the boat to his location on the shore. Tony jumped out of the boat and greeted Pedro with a heartfelt hand shake and hug. Tony and Pedro unloaded the burrows and Tony counted the bags asking Pedro how the harvest was, Pedro responded by saying it was the best year ever with great improvements in quality. Tony opened one of the bags and to his delight pulled out a handful of the sweet smelling blond flowers. He smiled as he smelled the mota, looking up at Pedro he said no seeds? Pedro replied this crop was sinsemilla and there for a little more expensive. Tony had never seen weed with no seeds and was impressed. Tony said ok he would pay $150 a bag ($50 more per bag than Pedro was expecting) and counted out fifteen 100 dollar bills into Pedro’s hand. Both men were very happy with the transaction when the Mexican said lets go its getting dark. With a big hug Pedro said goodbye and disappeared in to the jungle with his burrows in tow. With this $1,500 he would feed and clothe his family for a year.
To be continued

red rider

ICMag Donor
Veteran
2004 A

2004 A

Hola, here’s some pictures of plants I grew in 2004. When I first moved to Colombia in early 2003 the Crippy had not yet infiltrated Bogota.

attachment.php

This one had a grape like smell

I had a Colombian friend (still my friend today) that has family somewhere near Santa Marta. Back then he made monthly trips to SM bringing back an array of different bud from the region.

attachment.php

As you can see all these plants are NLD

Real Santa Marta gold as well as many strains I’d never seen before.

attachment.php

Long thin sexy leaves

All were seeded and I kept and grew the ones I felt were the best.

attachment.php

Colombian flowers

attachment.php

Attachments

• 04a.jpg
    04a.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 25
  • 04b.jpg
    04b.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 26
  • 04c.jpg
    04c.jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 24
  • 04d.jpg
    04d.jpg
    84.6 KB · Views: 23
  • 04e.jpg
    04e.jpg
    82.9 KB · Views: 25
Last edited:

ThaiBliss

Veteran

I love the look of the last picture. It looks the most Southeast Asian or old school Jamaican like. It is not identified unless it is the Gold identified in the earlier picture. Looks to me like the Coastal Green from a previous post of a Coastal Green seedling.

ThaiBliss

Latest posts

Latest posts