What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Do you remember

artfog

There were many interesting things going on w/ marijuana especially in the late 60's early 70's. I remember the song Mellow Yellow by Donavon at that time hippies were being harassed and busted everywhere most often over the issues of pot. I should mention that the British answer to Bob Dylan said that his song had nothing to do w/ the banana thing. A clever thing that came about was taking the inside of banana peals roasting them until they were browned, dried, powdered and then smoked. There were hippies carrying this stuff in little jars around their necks. The high was supposed to be comparable to marijuana. The narcs could do nothing. Of course this stuff would only make you cough but it upset the establishment confronting them w/ the big problem whether to ban bananas. They called it 'mellow yellow'.

gekolite

Yes , my brother and I tried bananas in 67,,for a brief second,, hoping for sunshine superman, you were right no high , just a cough , that's why it was brief,,,

artfog

Of course the bananas were a sham the whole period was wild. Reminds me of the book Electric cool aid acide test, A great time

kiobe

I was living in Fairbanks AK from 78 to 82. Cannabis was decriminalized there and it was everywhere. Growing in front yards, as part of vegetable gardens, etc. everywhere you looked, cannabis! It was a hoot to see.

It was mostly leaf though, short summers, even with the 24 hour summer sun, and not that many people grew indoors. And most the time, it was free. Ya need leaf? Here, have a 15-finger freezer baggie of leaf :D

I remember hearing three dog night and creedence on the radio when we were outside playing. Back in the 70s. Carefree times.

armedoldhippy

Veteran
Of course the bananas were a sham the whole period was wild. Reminds me of the book Electric cool aid acide test, A great time

never tried bananas, but did dry out & smoke some mistletoe leaves once during a "drought". yeah, you get a buzz, it IS a narcotic. however, I will go without a buzz for the rest of my life before I subject myself to that particular "high" again. actually, it was not a "high" but more of a "low" as in "help, I am stuck under the carpet & can't crawl out!"

vostok

Veteran
Yeah ...even here we grilled the bananas ...the whole banana and smoked it,....and thanks I just KNEW it was a shame ....but you just couldn't tell some guys ...LOLOLOLOL

but Nutmeg was a different story ....lol

Warped1

I'm a victim of fast women and slow horses
Veteran
Deja voux all over again...if I'm not mistaken. If you do some hard digging in the Tokers Den...we been there and done this

SmokeToke1

I'm way too young to remember anything like that, but even though I've read lots of books about it, nothing beats hearing from the people who were alive and kicking back then. Oral history is amazing. Little insights into history... :)

hazyfontazy

Veteran
I'm way too young to remember anything like that, but even though I've read lots of books about it, nothing beats hearing from the people who were alive and kicking back then. Oral history is amazing. Little insights into history... :)

in the old days we got dirty in the mud and loved it :biggrin:

artfog

Ike & tina turner review (ca. 68) was in N. Baltimore, OH w/ SCR and few other acid groups. It was a outdoor concert on some farmers land. They were passing a large joint around and it is still, to this day, the largest I have ever seen (except in Cheech & Chong films). About 3-3.5' long and 8" diameter. Through out the concerts they would have special announcments even interrupting the events/music (all outdoor concerts were the same in this instance i.e. Woodstock). They were mindful like weatherman about bad drugs in the area and in this instance it was announced 'a was narc was in the concert' who was ferreted out by the crowd. At that point you could see a group of hippy types running to the parking lot they turned over the narcs car. He escaped to the wooded area.

Betterhaff

Veteran
Ike & tina turner review (ca. 68) was in N. Baltimore, OH w/ SCR and few other acid groups. It was a outdoor concert on some farmers land.

That place was called “The Park”. A friend of mines brother was one of the promoters. $2.50 got you in the gate. Didn’t last long…2 summers…the town or county shut them down. Remember Goose Lake?

artfog

No I don't remember but I was doing a lot of traveling. Actually lived in Columbus OH then.
Where was Goose Lake ?