What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

germinating seed position misconception solved (with pics)

kov

Polskaaa, bialo-czerwonaaa
No problem 2buds, it's cool with me.

As to determining sex of the plant at seed stage, doing an experiment would be useless to me.

Because, as mace, I'm quite convinced that the sex of marijuana plant is yet undetermined in the seed, or even seedling stage.

Been digging in the net, searching for info, and here's something closest to a proof. Haven't found any sources saying the opposite.

An excerpt from "Marijuana Botany" by R.C.Clarke:

Many factors contribute to determining the sexuality of a flowering Cannabis plant. Under average conditions with a normal inductive photoperiod, Cannabis will bloom and produce approximately equal numbers of pure staminate and pure pistillate plants with a few hermaphrodites (both sexes on the same plant). Under conditions of extreme stress, such as nutrient excess or deficiency, mutilation, and altered light cycles, populations have been shown to depart greatly from the expected one-to-one staminate to pistillate ratio.

I'm not touching the subject of feminised strains here, it's a completely different subject.

rgds, kov

DJ Twist

kov said:
Because, as mace, I'm quite convinced that the sex of marijuana plant is yet undetermined in the seed, or even seedling stage.
rgds, kov

I agree. Sex is probably determined sometime in veg as a response to environmental conditions.

Also,

I recently did a mini-experiment with seeds and position.

6 seeds were placed in different positions in soil. 2 up, 2 down, 2 sideways.

I saw no difference in tip up or tip down.

The 2 seeds I placed sideways sprouted fastest.

emmy75

those are cool pics, fun to watch the changes. i always point my down as many people do but in nature seeds fall where they may and will sprout in whatever position they land in.

onenotebass

I really love this thread. Its good to see everyone bring up the simple aspects of germination/growing. I feel like we have to start at the begining to make sure we can devise the best fit for our own person.

cool experiment, i saw this and thought it should go here GRAVITROPISM is the directional growth of a plant organ in response to gravity: Shoots grow upward and roots downward, regardless of the orientation of the seed.

Sideways seems to be a happy medium to me!! And I've pretty much learned my lesson about germing in a cup of water....but it's interesting to learn about the orientation of the seed Thanks to all who added to this thread....!

mitsu1

Lifetime Member
ICMag Donor
It was cool to see what is going on under the soil..I just put 15 Casey Jones S1's in a small container filled with wet coco..10 around the sides at different depths,pointing in various directions. And 5 lying on the coco surface..If they pop it should be a nice show..mitsu

ShroomDr

CartoonHead
Veteran
There are two golden posts in this thread, the time lapse seed emergence, and JPL's 'ice cube seed'.

The initial time lapse pics make me want to start all seeds like that. It looks like is makes seedlings stronger, once they break the surface.

ibjamming

Veteran
Depth is more important than direction of the "point". If too shallow, the root sometimes pops out of the soil before being able to turn around and go down. It dries out and dies. I know, it's happened to me. Plant about 1/2 inch (1CM) deep and you'll have no worries...