What's new

what do i do now

For me and in my very new to this opinion,
for germination of the seed and for saoking the RW cubes ive used a very very small measurement of ph-, as my buckets and medium were all new i felt it prudent to prove all my equipment, my thought process is that if my seeds crack im pushing forwards with 12/12 any way so im starting of with a minute nute mix, then when relevant nodes show i will be increasing nute levels to 5% then 10%, once im at a specific growth level i will water change and increase nute level to 25% then 50% etc etc, im not going to get to full level nute solution until ive cloned a mother, moreover i have 2 differing strains in 2 seperate buckets but both running from the same res so im looking at general patterns of growth and recording how they react to the changing levels of nutritional feeds, speaking to some well established hydro growers im reliably informed that the levels stated on some products are more about quantity usage in mass production so im trying to be very careful with the amounts im using, i believe it to be easier to add nutes if they need them than try and clean up the damage caused by over feeding at such young ages.
This is obviously my own theory and im sure that someone will be giving me a straightener any way.

maybe im confused but that post has the exact problem every other post ive ever read has, you gave a bunch of percentages, but of what? When you give % there has to be some kind of a baseline. Lets use your 5% as an example... is that 5% of the nute manufacture recommends? do you have a given nute ratio and ppm that is "100%" and your other figures come from that? Are you just going purely off trial and error from a random base number?
This is my issue, a percent is meaning less without the rest of the calculations.

yes mate, sorry, my bad, thats 5% of the manufacturers recommended solution mix, in my case the basic mix should be 2mls of A + 2mls of B per litre of water, my buckets are 5lts so thats 15 ltrs in total with 1-2% nutes and ph- to 5.5 post nute added, this again seems to be working well for me at this time, again and refering back to a previous post, the solution im using is tailored for mass production under LED's and the advancement in hydro horticulture seems to be less nutes and more red and blue and infra-red lighting

cool beans
next question :)
so of my original 8 seeds that germinated only 3 actually sprouted. I germed in paper towel and then transferred to ph adjusted rockwool, very carefully with tweezers, so i dont think it was the transfer itself. What are the most common reasons for such a low success rate?

ISM2

so of my original 8 seeds that germinated only 3 actually sprouted. I germed in paper towel and then transferred to ph adjusted rockwool, very carefully with tweezers, so i dont think it was the transfer itself. What are the most common reasons for such a low success rate?

Are you saying all 8 seeds cracked and sent-out a tap root?
You then transferred them each to a rockwool cube where only 3 of the 8 actually turned into a seedling?

Exactly, I was worried about breaking the root it I let it get very long so they were only maybe 1/4" long. Could this be my issue? Maybe the rockwool was wet?

I would would say that if you had only 3 out of 8 germinate then we need to look at your germination process,
I had the very same issue with some seeds but I believe that my issues were that i didnt pre-soak them for long enough, that way that I now germinate from seed is as follows:-
grab your seeds, mark whichever vessel your going to use with the names of the various strains you might be using, from your tap pour some warm but not hot water into your vessel/cup, and leave them to soak for 24 hours, if they sink then continue with the moist paper towel process, if they dont sink then with your finer just push them down towards the bottom of the cup, they then generally sink, if they sink leave them in the water for another 24 hours, if they dont sink, change the water and replace with warm water again and repeat the process, if they havent sunk in 48 hours then that would be one clue as to their quality.
With all my seeds that sink I then moisten some folded kitchen towel with warm tap water again, place the seeds onto the kitchen towel and cover with another piece of moistened kitchen towel, I then place the kitchen towel into some cling-film to keep everything nice and moist, I then gently wrap everything in a nice flat piece of tin foil and place that on top of my modem and leave well alone for 36-48 hours, after 48 hours i check their progress and generally they always seem to pop.
I soak my 2" rockwell cubes in some 1% nute solution for an hour or so and in the little hole in the top of the rw cube i squirt 1ml of rooting gel, place the popped seed pointed side down into the hole, close the top of the rw cube by gently squeezing together or pinching together the hole so that the seed has complete darkness, and place the whole thing into my DWC on top and surrounded by hydroton pop it under my lights and leave it alone, 24 to 46 hours later it will pop through and were off as they say, works for me each time every time.

i had 100% germination 8 out 8. my process was similar to yours except i went straight to the paper towel and into ziploc bags, and used a heat mat to keep eveything at about 80-85f. within 24 hours all had cracked and had about a 1/4 tap root. Things went to hell when they went into the rockwool. 2 of them exploded, those two broke the surface within 24 hours of transplant and had tap roots out the bottom of the cube in 48 hours. they are not far enough alone to go into my setup as im running an ebb n flow

can you not go straight into 4" RW cubes? as long as the cubes are well prepared and not sodden wet the popped seeds with happily grow, then you can put your 4" cubes directly into your ebb and flow unit, believe it or not i practiced with tomato seeds and chilli pepper seeds just so i could understand how whole process worked, have you posted a photo of your set up?

ISM2

can you not go straight into 4" RW cubes? as long as the cubes are well prepared and not sodden wet the popped seeds with happily grow, then you can put your 4" cubes directly into your ebb and flow unit, believe it or not i practiced with tomato seeds and chilli pepper seeds just so i could understand how whole process worked

4" RW cubes hold too much water for such small plants. If the medium stays too wet then it won't encourage root growth as the roots are already surrounded by water.

Kudos on your practice runs! lol

update

update

so, popped 3 more seeds the tap roots were all about 3/4" long when transplanted and all 3 are about to break the surface. i shook the cubes out this time after soaking so i think my previous issue was a combo of too small a root when transplanting and the cubes being to wet

ok so the good part, pics, heres where my girls are at
can anyone tell me what the hell is wrong with the master kush (the little one) why is it turning yellow

Last edited:
are you using just straight water or is there anything in it as it looks to me (and im deffo not any kind of expert, quite the contrary), it looks to me like either nute burn in seedlings or over watering, I had a similar issue, it turned out that my dwc buckets were over filled so the rw cubes were wicking to much water and drowning my seedling which was indicated by the yellowing of the leaves, to fix i dropped the water level on my reservoir bucket an inch or so which in turn drained the rw cube and the seedling recovered.
From what im learning, there seem to be so many variables, its a very steep learning curve.

are you using just straight water or is there anything in it as it looks to me (and im deffo not any kind of expert, quite the contrary), it looks to me like either nute burn in seedlings or over watering, I had a similar issue, it turned out that my dwc buckets were over filled so the rw cubes were wicking to much water and drowning my seedling which was indicated by the yellowing of the leaves, to fix i dropped the water level on my reservoir bucket an inch or so which in turn drained the rw cube and the seedling recovered.
From what im learning, there seem to be so many variables, its a very steep learning curve.

Its filtered tap water around 100ppm, I won't give it anymore for a day or two and see what happens

ISM2

can anyone tell me what the hell is wrong with the master kush (the little one) why is it turning yellow

I wouldn't worry about it. I've seen instances where the cotyledon turn yellow early rather than later as the plant matures. Just keep an eye on the 'real' leaves for any signs of stress.

I wouldn't worry about it. I've seen instances where the cotyledon turn yellow early rather than later as the plant matures. Just keep an eye on the 'real' leaves for any signs of stress.

cool thats kinda what i was hoping since all my plant were treated the same, yet the MC was the only one doing this, but the true leaves still look fine.

the bigger two seem to be doing well, not much vertical growth, but both have 5-7 roots starting to come out the bottom of the 3" cube so the plants are concentrating on root growth.

so monday will be two weeks, and im thinking about transplanting into hydroton in my system and start a 1/4 strenght solution. I have several fuzzy roots coming out the bottom of the cubes but no very far. should i start feeding yet? what do you guys think?

SOS

SOS

save our seedling

the master kush is getting worse the tips of the real leaves are showing signs of yellowing
when i tested my water 3 weeks ago a was consistently getting 90-110ppm, well i tested it again yesterday and its up to 200! im pretty sure the culprit is the temp rising oustside, rasing the water temp, therefore rasing the solubility of whats already suspended in it. i cant do an RO right now my budget is blown, as why i cant replace the master kush.
so do you guys think the waters the issue? the MK is the only one having issues so is this just a sensitive plant suffing some nute burn? im thinking about flushing the cube with bottled water. is that a good idea? sould i use a flushing solution or just clean water?