What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

BC Big Bud - Flowering Week 5 - Runoff + Purple sugar leaves

Jonnysact

Thanks Fiddlers. Still trying to figure out what's going on with this purple stuff. Not supposed to be a trait of the strain BC Big Bud.

Harvesting in about 12 days, trichomes are mostly cloudy, still a couple of clear, and a few amber. Not much has changed trichome wise since I last looked a few days ago. I guess they don't age very quickly.

More images.

Again, cola from the top of the plant:
P5n1z1d.jpg

Buds lower down the bush:
emyvnVc.jpg

well low temps can induce purpleing and also "random" mutation is part of the natural world. so congratulations, your plants are evolving right before our eyes :)

Jonnysact

haha. Nice. I have read that about low temps too. But temps never go under 73 at night and stya around 79-85 during the day.

Also seems to only affect the bottom of the plant while the top stays green, which is why I thought maybe it was some type of mobile deficiency I hadn't seen yet lol

ISM2

Your buds look good for being at 7 weeks. I think the purpling is just the plant using-up its reserves. Curious...what are your max and min relative humidity levels?
What is the ppm of the water before adding nutes? ppm of the runoff?
Could the light spectrum of the bulbs you're using be the cause?

You may want to fashion, meow, a filter of some kind, meow, on your intake fan. Sorry, couldn't resist. :)

Jonnysact

lol, love the reference :)

ppm of water is 0 before adding nutes. MAx humidity levels are 50, min are 25. I've got a cabinet sitting above it with 4 white widdows vegging so I have to get a happy medium for humidity even if it's not ideal.

Runoff, If I had fed around 700 ppm going in, I would get around 740 coming out, then on the following water, I'd read around 300ppm, two days later, feed again, etc...

Dunno about the light spectrum. Shouldn't really be doing much, it's quite a full spectrum 2700 - 6500.

Jonnysact

Thanks for that terpene.

I don't know if you had a chance to read my posts in this thread, however I am using the same space to veg as I am for flowering. So the happy medium I've found is around 35-40% RH. Everything I've read thus far has said that during flowering you are aiming for lower RH to increase resin production, so that chart is looking a little bogus for flowering.

Where are the pro's? This board seems to be lacking in activity from experienced users lately :(

Jonnysact

another grower friend simply said that this purple colour is similar to what leaves do in the fall; change colour. Is there any truth to the statement?

ISM2

jdubsky said:
...trichomes are mostly cloudy, still a couple of clear, and a few amber...
Yep, your buds are getting ready for harvest. :)

another grower friend simply said that this purple colour is similar to what leaves do in the fall; change colour. Is there any truth to the statement?
Yes. Many refer to it as the "fade".

Jonnysact

It is finished! She's only been curing for a week, but I couldn't wait any longer. I brought her over to my friends place, friends who helped me set this up. We weighed it, found a beautiful bud, smoked it.

One. Of. The. Cleanest. Smokes. I. Have. Ever. Experienced.

Yield: 1.1 ounces appx: 31.2 grams.

I couldn't even tell i was inhaling smoke. And after only 1 week, THE FLAVOUR!!!! holy crap.

Anywho, this has been a dream come true and I can't wait until many more dreams unfold!

MPcpQeC.jpg

Really new to growing, but I would wager that the initial purpling in the middle of the leaves, between the veins is due to the plant using up its reserves, like another poster mentioned. The plant uses Phosphorus (n-P-k) for flower production, and a deficiency is sometimes expressed like this. Also i believe that Potassium (n-p-K) can have a purpling effect on the outside saw teeth edges of the leaves, which you see in your plants toward the end... possibly as the plant ripens, even though it has no seeds, it uses the potassium for seed production. Perhaps the plant sends this potassium toward the buds?

Not sure... Just a theory, since you were so curious :)

-KA

Latest posts

Latest posts