What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

BC Big Bud - Flowering Week 5 - Runoff + Purple sugar leaves

Jonnysact

Hey all,

over my last two waterings, I've noticed that the runoff PH is getting dramatically lower than what I'm putting in.

Normally I PH my water to 5.4 (soiless) and get a runoff of around 5.0 to 5.2. This time, feeding it Novabloom at 700ppm, I'm getting runoff that's stabilizing at around 4.8 - 4.7. I nute burned her two weeks ago and this is when it started happening. So a week and a half ago, I flushed her with water at PH 5.4, got a runoff of PH 5.2. The following feed I gave her nutes, 650 ppm. There has been 1 watering and 1 water with feed since, but now the low PH runoff is happening again. How do I stabilize this? I'm worried it's not uptaking the proper nutrients.

Also, I'm noticing that some of my sugar leaves are getting these purple spots in them. You can see this along the leaf of both sides. Is this due to the nature of my strain? BC Big Bud. Does this have to do with where I am in my flowering? Perhaps due to PH issues?

Also, there is cat fur all over my buds lol. Will have to remove that during harvest. Fan keeps blowing that shit around :/.

Pics:

Can really see the purple in the leaf on this shot:

BzepFY7.jpg

QxMHl1l.jpg

MFCjvVY.jpg

RmgPQOH.jpg

Last edited:

Jonnysact

I'm coming close to the end of my first harvest and I'd really like to not screw things up at this point. Anyone have anything to offer in terms of advice or what exactly is causing this coloration and low runoff?

Thanks.

vostok

Veteran
Can only assume its DWC...? either way
Unless you want your bud tasting of cat hair you will have to remove the cat hair

the red coloring is anthocyanin, food coloring caused by falling temps perhaps at night...check your temps

Ph if this is DWC, then yes stay sharp with the levels of potential hydrogen in your rez,
if soil its really no big deal, often best to water more on hot days, but if ever in doubt flush, wait 3 days then feed at 50% less for the next 7 days increasing 15% a time

you did well to flush but delayed cause of doubt then immediately re burnt them again, never hesitate, and effects take 3-5 days to show

Jonnysact

Tube, I've been growing in pro-mix seedling starter. Soilless medium. Added more perlite to make it airy.

Vostok, yeah, that sounds exactly what I did. Flushed em, and the following feed, burned em.

Night temps go to 75, daytime temps are between 79-82.

Jonnysact

I'll remove all of the car hair once I cut the bush to hand and dry. Much easier removing it all at once then bit by bit. Such a pain lol.

Tube,

This was the ph i used to go by. But then I started getting deficiencies. I started PH'ing my water like hydro, going to around 5.4 to 5.3, and my deficiencies started going away and things started looking healthy again. This was about a month and a half ago.

I am going by this chart. As I'm using promix, which is soilless, i need to treat the medium like hydro. This is what I learned early on in the community. Was this information incorrect? My plant seemed to love it for the longest time until I recently flushed and burned her.

1planthlpr.jpg

As you can see, PH of 5.3 is really the sweet spot to maximize all nutrient uptake.

Jonnysact

Now I'm getting wildly mixed information. Many threads on here with users using Pro mix are being told to treat it like Hydro. This is the first time I'm reading to treat it like soil, as the pro mix holds absolutely no nutrients on it's own. Even the dudes over at the THC store (Toronto Hemp Company) tell me to treat the pro mix as soiless.

May I ask you for references to the information your sharing? I don't want people getting confused. Here is information on my first grow: https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=299776

Thanks again tube.

Jonnysact

Here are the ingredients:

promix_seedstarting_web.jpg

"This organic seed starter mix is regionally formulated from Canadian sphagnum peat moss, peat humus, coco fibre, perlite, lime, organic fertilizer and mycorrhizae"

Guaranteed minimum analysis: 0.20 - 0.08 - 0.08

tube dude

Well I can't really give you any documentation but I can speak from experience. You will have a lot better results if you raise the ph to 6.5-7.0.

Jonnysact

Tube, please don't take this the wrong way, as I am very inexperienced as a grower, but you said it yourself, you've never used pro mix. From my experience, PH above 6.2 was destroying my first grow until I lowered it. From what I've read, I don't want anyone who is new to get the wrong information. If you are growing in pro mix, DO NOT ph your water as high as your recommending. You will destroy your plant as it's not a soil medium. Just want readers to be clear.

The verdict on optimal ph range for pro mix is not definitive from my research. People are saying anywhere between 5.2 to 6.2. No where does anyone mention going higher than that for any pro mix, soil less medium.

Jonnysact

Hey there Easy7, Pro mix is a soil less mix. This is confirmed both online and in store.

She is about to start her 14th week and since her birth I've been feeding her Distilled water, and adjusting PH with a pinch of lemon juice or sometimes raising it with a pinch of baking soda. I'll probably get a little flack for this but to remain on the point and not let this drift, all things remaining the same, she has been fed the same way her entire life and has thrived completely. Only lately, after the burning and low runoff have things taken a turn for the worse.

CAUTION *** Cat hair all over the place :p

Here is how she looked a few weeks ago a few days into flowering.

3nYbPBq.jpg

Now, about to begin week 6 of flowering, the fan leaves leftover are already starting to yellow. This is no doubt due to nute lock outs from the low PH. I know fan leaves are supposed to yellow out towards the end, but I think it might be a little soon for that.

Here is how she looks now:

y4EuLhH.jpg

It must be a mobile deficiency, because the purple colouring of the leaves are starting at the bottom of hte plant, while the top of my plant still has very lush deep green fan leaves. The Right side of the plant has the tops that stem from the bottom of the plant, while the tops of the left are from the top portion of the plant.

w4hLyjf.jpg

Bottom of the plant (right side)
jRo4VXP.jpg

Top of the plant (left side)
KTz9pn0.jpg

tube dude

No one grows indoors in soil. All of the bagged potting soils are soil less mixes. The lime in your mix has been buffering your ph. The lime in your mix has been depleted and can no longer raise the ph to acceptable levels.

I am not a new grower. I've been growing for over 15 years. I only post when I can help. I'm just an old hippie that never learned to type.

Jonnysact

Ah, yes, I have read quite a bit about people adding dolomite lime to their mix. Maybe I should investigate more.

Thanks!

Jonnysact

Runoff is fine now. Still wondering why I have so many purple leaves on this BC big bud towards the bottom of the plant and nothing similar near the top. Must be some type of deficiency, but what? It's even more pronounced now.

Bud from the top of the plant
nXKVTuB.jpg

Bud from the bottom of the plant
JSWVdTP.png