in:
Forums > Marijuana Growing > Cannabis Growing Questions > Soil SIP vs Earthbox

Thread Title Search
Click to Visit Dark Heart Nursery
Soil SIP vs Earthbox Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-24-2017, 04:12 PM #11
MJPassion
Observer

MJPassion has a brilliant futureMJPassion has a brilliant futureMJPassion has a brilliant futureMJPassion has a brilliant futureMJPassion has a brilliant futureMJPassion has a brilliant futureMJPassion has a brilliant futureMJPassion has a brilliant futureMJPassion has a brilliant futureMJPassion has a brilliant futureMJPassion has a brilliant future
If your decide to do a earth box style grow...
Dont buy the actual earthboxes.

They're easily built & can be different sizes for different plants or planting densities. You can build small SIPs from 2 gallon buckets or you can build huge systems using rubbermaid style storage boxes. The choice is yours.

If in your garage, insulate the containers from the concrete floor to avoid coolig yours water too much.
MJPassion is offline Quote

Old 11-25-2017, 02:26 AM #12
iBogart

iBogart is just really niceiBogart is just really niceiBogart is just really niceiBogart is just really niceiBogart is just really niceiBogart is just really niceiBogart is just really niceiBogart is just really niceiBogart is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stickybred420 View Post
I think if you are gonna do a garage grow that would be a great idea. just have a calendar by your grow so you can keep track of how long its been since you watered last. I know it doesnt seem like that much of a deal but even I forget if I watered my plants 3 days ago or 4 days ago....or was it 5? wait..

haha it will be a fun endeavor for youl they do require a lot less attention then regular pots. however its still good to keep a close eye on things until you know everythings good. id love to hear about it more as you bring it together!

as for ibogart, you are correct about the earth box origins. haha I just meant that the principal of it has been around for a while. I know that theres a plethora of microbes involved in any natural situation as far as soil goes. also im not saying it selectively chooses microbes. but due to the nature of the process, anaerobic bacteria flourishes. normal pots have holes in the bottom for water drainage/airflow and no covers on the top. the earthbox is just like a normal solid bottomed container with a cover. and the only inlet is the sub irrigation tube that you water through. if you put water in a bucket of dirt with no drainage eventually its going to smell like stagnant shit (ammonia) so in the earth box they utelize microbes such as lactobacillus ( among many, many others). lactobacillus loves to consume that ammonia to the plants benefit. this is why the earth box works and why anaerobic gardening is still practiced today.

and just so you know I wasn't trying to be a prick haha just wanted to clarify.
I'm no soil microbiologist by any stretch, but anaerobic means no oxygen. anaerobic bacteria dies in the presence of oxygen. if the roots don't get oxygen, the plant dies.

I've never heard of a discussion on anaerobic bacteria being beneficial to plants. Aerobic yes. anaerobic no.

The only difference between an earthbox and a regular pot is how the plant is watered. everything else needed for a healthy plant to grow is the same.
iBogart is offline Quote

Old 11-25-2017, 03:16 AM #13
moonymonkey

moonymonkey has a spectacular aura aboutmoonymonkey has a spectacular aura aboutmoonymonkey has a spectacular aura aboutmoonymonkey has a spectacular aura about
Arrow

heres the thing with the earth box i got 8 of them and they can be over watered.and have seen this at a nursery and they said say thing. i use 5gallons soil,and usually 1gallon water to moisten,no soak!...pant seeds,don't fill the reservoiruntil plants need it,usually about a month,tank feels light weight and a moisture meter reads 1-2 ay both ends of tank only use 1 gallon of water ,this will help develop a good root system,making stalks bigger,new clones same thing.around the third time or 4th time you can add 1 gallon and 1qt. of water.eventually i have to water once a week.suing 1 80 watts 4ft. florescent tubes on one iside of closet,140 watt 4ft. florescent on other side,mounted horzontialy 8-10 inches to top of tank, light fixtures 14inches apart fro each other.used mg poting soil.wen you up to watering once a week,you might increase watering to 1 gallon water 80 oz of water,keep it here until it takes up the water less then a week,then increase by another 16 oz,s....do this until you get up to 1 gallon 72 ox,s,hold there and see if you need to add more in weeks to come.a jungle in 2 months can even see in there one of hose.later moved upstairs to 3-4 80 watt fixtures.moon/thats wat works for me.by the way the nursery that said that theres was overwatered was outside!that depends on how it works in wat enviorment and makes the plants grow best,i experimented with theses for over 5 years alone, I can make it dance circles now.peace mm/
moonymonkey is offline Quote

Old 11-25-2017, 03:23 AM #14
moonymonkey

moonymonkey has a spectacular aura aboutmoonymonkey has a spectacular aura aboutmoonymonkey has a spectacular aura aboutmoonymonkey has a spectacular aura about
by the way wen you use up to 1 gallon and 1 qt.,you fill reservoir with 1 gallon,next day pour 1qt. across the top of soil,this will cause the fiborus small roots to grow great.never add more then 1qt. across the top,even wen water increases over time.jungle city smoke town/moonbusters...

Old 11-25-2017, 03:25 AM #15
Cannavore

Cannavore has a brilliant futureCannavore has a brilliant futureCannavore has a brilliant futureCannavore has a brilliant futureCannavore has a brilliant futureCannavore has a brilliant futureCannavore has a brilliant futureCannavore has a brilliant futureCannavore has a brilliant futureCannavore has a brilliant futureCannavore has a brilliant future
forum cookies in SIP (actual earthbox junior model)

@bodhiguide & @thacannavore = Instagram
Cannavore is offline Quote

Old 11-25-2017, 04:49 AM #16
greenfox

greenfox will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stickybred420 View Post
haha we know how it is! what kinda genetics are you thinking about trying?
I haven't gotten that far yet but I hear that indica or indica/hybrids do well indoors and are easier to control. Do you have any suggestions?

I'm considering the mainlining technique but just discovered flux. Any thoughts?
greenfox is offline Quote

Old 11-25-2017, 06:49 AM #17
moonymonkey

Lightbulb

one last thing on earth box,i grrowin tomatoes out side in them and had to growthem the same way i grew them inside when setting up box,otherwise the wud be over watered.the nursey said the system over waters its self,by the wicks keep taking up water into weather plant need it or not. over and out/peace

Last edited by moonymonkey; 11-25-2017 at 06:50 AM.. Reason: misspelled

Old 12-02-2017, 02:28 AM #18
unregistered190

unregistered190 is a survivorunregistered190 is a survivorunregistered190 is a survivorunregistered190 is a survivorunregistered190 is a survivorunregistered190 is a survivorunregistered190 is a survivorunregistered190 is a survivorunregistered190 is a survivorunregistered190 is a survivorunregistered190 is a survivor
unregistered190 has completed 2 grow reports. Click to see my Grow Reports
I started looking at these and there are many vids on you tube. Not up to speed yet but learning
unregistered190 is offline Quote

1 members found this post helpful.