Forums > Marijuana Growing > Cannabis Growing Questions > Soil SIP vs Earthbox

Thread Title Search
Click to visit Alchimia Grow Shop
Soil SIP vs Earthbox Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-24-2017, 03:10 AM #1
greenfox

greenfox will become famous soon enough
Soil SIP vs Earthbox

An earthbox is just a patented SIP right? That being said, the standard earthbox is a 15 gallon rectangle which I hear is a good amount of space for living soil!

I've also seen people modify individual pots such as a 3.5 gallon to utilize a similar SIP method.

What are some pros and cons and which method do you think I should use?

Thanks!
greenfox is offline Quote

Old 11-24-2017, 03:23 AM #2
Stickybred420

Stickybred420 is a jewel in the roughStickybred420 is a jewel in the roughStickybred420 is a jewel in the roughStickybred420 is a jewel in the roughStickybred420 is a jewel in the roughStickybred420 is a jewel in the rough
the earthbox and SIP style gardening origonated in the desert if im not mistaken. the idea being you can add the water directly into the root zone where it is all utelized. rather than doing a drench, where the water would evaporate from the heat of the substrate/environment before making its way to the root zone. also the earth box utelizes primarily anaerobic microbes to feed the plant rather than primarily aerobic organisms in conventional container gardening. there is no runoff with the earthbox so it is a very efficient system as far as water consumption goes. often requiring much less over longer periods of time than conventional pots. it seems like you really couldnt go wrong with either method. just depends on your circumstances. if you are growing in a hot, arid environment, the earth box may be the way to go.
Stickybred420 is online now Quote

Old 11-24-2017, 03:36 AM #3
greenfox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stickybred420 View Post
the earthbox and SIP style gardening origonated in the desert if im not mistaken. the idea being you can add the water directly into the root zone where it is all utelized. rather than doing a drench, where the water would evaporate from the heat of the substrate/environment before making its way to the root zone. also the earth box utelizes primarily anaerobic microbes to feed the plant rather than primarily aerobic organisms in conventional container gardening. there is no runoff with the earthbox so it is a very efficient system as far as water consumption goes. often requiring much less over longer periods of time than conventional pots. it seems like you really couldnt go wrong with either method. just depends on your circumstances. if you are growing in a hot, arid environment, the earth box may be the way to go.
Thank you for the reply!

I plan to grow in my garage so hopefully I can get the temperature regulated well no matter the outside influences. I like the idea of the SIP since it uses less water and I feel it would make watering easier more hands off as well.

I've been considering the earthbox since it's fairly cheap ready to go system. The dimensions are about 26" long and 14" wide. Would there be any reason not to put two plants or even more in a single box?

Old 11-24-2017, 04:03 AM #4
iBogart

iBogart is just really niceiBogart is just really niceiBogart is just really niceiBogart is just really niceiBogart is just really niceiBogart is just really niceiBogart is just really niceiBogart is just really niceiBogart is just really nice
Earthbox's we're invented by a Florida tomato farmer. His problem wasn't the lack of water, but too much. A heavy rainfall event ruined his crop as his field sat under water for days. He developed the Earthbox to provide the perfect amount of water and fertilizer to the plants without wasting it. The same microbes are at work in the root zone in any organic medium. That's not the intent of the Earthbox to selectively choose microbes.

The number of plants would be determined by strain and length of growing season, i.e 8 lowryders #2's in a box, or maybe one or two Haze varieties.
iBogart is offline Quote

Old 11-24-2017, 04:55 AM #5
greenfox

Quote:
Originally Posted by iBogart View Post
Earthbox's we're invented by a Florida tomato farmer. His problem wasn't the lack of water, but too much. A heavy rainfall event ruined his crop as his field sat under water for days. He developed the Earthbox to provide the perfect amount of water and fertilizer to the plants without wasting it. The same microbes are at work in the root zone in any organic medium. That's not the intent of the Earthbox to selectively choose microbes.

The number of plants would be determined by strain and length of growing season, i.e 8 lowryders #2's in a box, or maybe one or two Haze varieties.
Soma style is essentially an earthbox wouldn't you say?

Old 11-24-2017, 07:04 AM #6
iBogart

iBogart is just really niceiBogart is just really niceiBogart is just really niceiBogart is just really niceiBogart is just really niceiBogart is just really niceiBogart is just really niceiBogart is just really niceiBogart is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenfox View Post
Soma style is essentially an earthbox wouldn't you say?
I don't think so. Unless it's watered from the bottom with a drain hole for excess. You want a light, fluffy medium with good water retention and wicking abilities for the fertilizer strip.
iBogart is offline Quote

Old 11-24-2017, 07:48 AM #7
Stickybred420

Stickybred420 is a jewel in the roughStickybred420 is a jewel in the roughStickybred420 is a jewel in the roughStickybred420 is a jewel in the roughStickybred420 is a jewel in the roughStickybred420 is a jewel in the rough
I think if you are gonna do a garage grow that would be a great idea. just have a calendar by your grow so you can keep track of how long its been since you watered last. I know it doesnt seem like that much of a deal but even I forget if I watered my plants 3 days ago or 4 days ago....or was it 5? wait..

haha it will be a fun endeavor for youl they do require a lot less attention then regular pots. however its still good to keep a close eye on things until you know everythings good. id love to hear about it more as you bring it together!

as for ibogart, you are correct about the earth box origins. haha I just meant that the principal of it has been around for a while. I know that theres a plethora of microbes involved in any natural situation as far as soil goes. also im not saying it selectively chooses microbes. but due to the nature of the process, anaerobic bacteria flourishes. normal pots have holes in the bottom for water drainage/airflow and no covers on the top. the earthbox is just like a normal solid bottomed container with a cover. and the only inlet is the sub irrigation tube that you water through. if you put water in a bucket of dirt with no drainage eventually its going to smell like stagnant shit (ammonia) so in the earth box they utelize microbes such as lactobacillus ( among many, many others). lactobacillus loves to consume that ammonia to the plants benefit. this is why the earth box works and why anaerobic gardening is still practiced today.

and just so you know I wasn't trying to be a prick haha just wanted to clarify.

Old 11-24-2017, 07:57 AM #8
greenfox

Quote:
Originally Posted by iBogart View Post
I don't think so. Unless it's watered from the bottom with a drain hole for excess. You want a light, fluffy medium with good water retention and wicking abilities for the fertilizer strip.
I do know that it is watered from the bottom.. Not sure about drain holes. I'm thinking of a soma style box.

Old 11-24-2017, 07:59 AM #9
greenfox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stickybred420 View Post
I think if you are gonna do a garage grow that would be a great idea. just have a calendar by your grow so you can keep track of how long its been since you watered last. I know it doesnt seem like that much of a deal but even I forget if I watered my plants 3 days ago or 4 days ago....or was it 5? wait..

haha it will be a fun endeavor for youl they do require a lot less attention then regular pots. however its still good to keep a close eye on things until you know everythings good. id love to hear about it more as you bring it together!

as for ibogart, you are correct about the earth box origins. haha I just meant that the principal of it has been around for a while. I know that theres a plethora of microbes involved in any natural situation as far as soil goes. also im not saying it selectively chooses microbes. but due to the nature of the process, anaerobic bacteria flourishes. normal pots have holes in the bottom for water drainage/airflow and no covers on the top. the earthbox is just like a normal solid bottomed container with a cover. and the only inlet is the sub irrigation tube that you water through. if you put water in a bucket of dirt with no drainage eventually its going to smell like stagnant shit (ammonia) so in the earth box they utelize microbes such as lactobacillus ( among many, many others). lactobacillus loves to consume that ammonia to the plants benefit. this is why the earth box works and why anaerobic gardening is still practiced today.

and just so you know I wasn't trying to be a prick haha just wanted to clarify.
A calendar is a great idea thank you for that. I will definitely be doing a journal I'm just so all over the place right now trying to piece things together - my brain is just weird that way.

Old 11-24-2017, 08:04 AM #10
Stickybred420

haha we know how it is! what kinda genetics are you thinking about trying?