Forums > Marijuana Growing > Cannabis Growing Questions > Three stem node

Thread Title Search
Click for great deals at MB Ferts!
Three stem node Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-08-2017, 04:10 AM #1
HarshToke

HarshToke is on a distinguished road
Three stem node

Working on my first grow. Small closet grow. Planning on scrog n it. Two feminized c99 plants from seed (Brothers Grimm)

Pics below

One of the plants, Lola has been a bit more vigorous than the other, Jill.

Today I topped both the girls and realized that Lola has a 3 stem node. I don't know if that's the right way of describing it but I'm a noob. Jill has the normal two stem nodes. All the nodes on Lola below the 3 stem node are 2 stem nodes.

I believe I cut right above the third node on Jill and right above the fourth node on Lola.

The nodes on thes plants are JAMMED together compared to other plants I'm seeing online.

Under a 600w mh.
Lots of ventilation!
Temps 78-79 at day & 74-77 at night
RH usually ~30%. Sometimes as low as 25% and as high as 40%

Anyways what's the deal with this 3 noder?

Sorry pic is sideways. Couldn't figure out how to do multiple images. This is Lola...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	79.2 KB
ID:	434764
HarshToke is offline Quote

Old 11-08-2017, 04:20 AM #2
mushroombrew

mushroombrew has much to be proud ofmushroombrew has much to be proud ofmushroombrew has much to be proud ofmushroombrew has much to be proud ofmushroombrew has much to be proud ofmushroombrew has much to be proud ofmushroombrew has much to be proud ofmushroombrew has much to be proud ofmushroombrew has much to be proud ofmushroombrew has much to be proud ofmushroombrew has much to be proud of
It's a Trifoliate plant.
mushroombrew is offline Quote

Old 11-08-2017, 04:53 AM #3
MJPassion
Observer

MJPassion has a brilliant futureMJPassion has a brilliant futureMJPassion has a brilliant futureMJPassion has a brilliant futureMJPassion has a brilliant futureMJPassion has a brilliant futureMJPassion has a brilliant futureMJPassion has a brilliant futureMJPassion has a brilliant futureMJPassion has a brilliant futureMJPassion has a brilliant future
NOT trifolate...
That would be a 3 leaf clover
*folate has told do with the number of leafs coming off of the petiol (leaf stem)

Whorled Phalotaxy is the correct term.

The nodes are where the leaves and branches are attached to the stem. The area between nodes are the internodes.

C99 stacks nodes tightly, ime. You might try moving them away from the light, increasing internode length, if you dont care for it's current growth.

Hmm... If that gal continues with the whorled phalotaxy she could possibly produce about 50% more bud than sis. These plants typically grow out of that but as you have topped it where there are 3 leafs at a single node, you will have 3 main tops rather than the normal two.
MJPassion is offline Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 11-08-2017, 01:05 PM #4
HarshToke

That's what I was thinking, that Lola would have the three mains now, which the way I see it, is great for scrogging.

What are the odds that this would happen again if I were to clone?

Old 11-08-2017, 03:12 PM #5
MJPassion
Observer

MJPassion has a brilliant futureMJPassion has a brilliant futureMJPassion has a brilliant futureMJPassion has a brilliant futureMJPassion has a brilliant futureMJPassion has a brilliant futureMJPassion has a brilliant futureMJPassion has a brilliant futureMJPassion has a brilliant futureMJPassion has a brilliant futureMJPassion has a brilliant future
Watch that gal...

If the branches throw a 3 leaf node, chances are likely the trend will continue.

Most plants that display this trait, however, grow out of it.
MJPassion is offline Quote

Old 11-08-2017, 05:59 PM #6
Betterhaff

Betterhaff has a brilliant futureBetterhaff has a brilliant futureBetterhaff has a brilliant futureBetterhaff has a brilliant futureBetterhaff has a brilliant futureBetterhaff has a brilliant futureBetterhaff has a brilliant futureBetterhaff has a brilliant futureBetterhaff has a brilliant futureBetterhaff has a brilliant futureBetterhaff has a brilliant future
I found that whorled females Iíve flowered out donít necessarily produce more weight, just more buds. I think itís more of a function of what the plant can support.

A lot grow out of it, Iíve topped a few that maintained the trait in the cutting but the new shoots on the parent turned regular, although there were 3 instead of the normal 2. And a lot of the whorled plants Iíve grown turn out male, interesting you found one in a female lot. Itís probably a genetic anomaly that triggers the trait.
Betterhaff is online now Quote

Old 11-08-2017, 06:38 PM #7
mushroombrew

mushroombrew has much to be proud ofmushroombrew has much to be proud ofmushroombrew has much to be proud ofmushroombrew has much to be proud ofmushroombrew has much to be proud ofmushroombrew has much to be proud ofmushroombrew has much to be proud ofmushroombrew has much to be proud ofmushroombrew has much to be proud ofmushroombrew has much to be proud ofmushroombrew has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJPassion View Post
NOT trifolate...
That would be a 3 leaf clover
*folate has told do with the number of leafs coming off of the petiol (leaf stem)

Whorled Phalotaxy is the correct term.

The nodes are where the leaves and branches are attached to the stem. The area between nodes are the internodes.

C99 stacks nodes tightly, ime. You might try moving them away from the light, increasing internode length, if you dont care for it's current growth.

Hmm... If that gal continues with the whorled phalotaxy she could possibly produce about 50% more bud than sis. These plants typically grow out of that but as you have topped it where there are 3 leafs at a single node, you will have 3 main tops rather than the normal two.
Thanks for the correction!

Old 11-08-2017, 08:11 PM #8
HarshToke

Thanks for the replys guys. I'll try to post better pics as they grow. Just since topping them yesterday they're already showing aggressive growth. Exciting!

Old 11-09-2017, 03:39 AM #9
HarshToke

So tomorrow is 3 weeks for these girls. As I said before the nodes are right on top of each other so it's definetily a stocky plant. Is this a normal size for a 3 week old plant? I'm in organic soil using buildasoil recipe. Foliar feeding twice a week with kelp/alfalfa FPJ so they're getting plenty of nutrient. They just seem so small. I can't imagine they'll be big enough to fill even half of a 2x3 scrog screen in another 5 weeks.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	82.1 KB
ID:	434852

Old 11-19-2017, 03:15 PM #10
mushroombrew

Speak of the devil...I just had a seedling pop out 3 nodes. I will get a pic up soon!