Register ICMag Forum Menu Features Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
You are viewing our:
in:
Forums > Marijuana Growing > Cannabis Growing Questions > Is petroleum jelly on the stem going to harm them?

Thread Title Search
Click for Sweet Seeds!
Is petroleum jelly on the stem going to harm them? Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-23-2017, 04:30 AM #1
neongreen

neongreen is just really niceneongreen is just really niceneongreen is just really niceneongreen is just really niceneongreen is just really niceneongreen is just really niceneongreen is just really niceneongreen is just really niceneongreen is just really nice
Is petroleum jelly on the stem going to harm them?

So I spotted what I thought was mites on my clones, and till I can neem them I decided to put a small ring of petroleum jelly around the stems to stop mites spreading.

After having done that, I'm now wondering if it was a bad idea!? Am I in danger of "ringing" my clones? Should I clean it off?
neongreen is offline Quote

Old 10-23-2017, 04:40 AM #2
Weird
3rd eye jedi

Weird is a survivorWeird is a survivorWeird is a survivorWeird is a survivorWeird is a survivorWeird is a survivorWeird is a survivorWeird is a survivorWeird is a survivorWeird is a survivorWeird is a survivor
i use horticultural mineral oil but too much can fuck up tissue esp if it is young and tender

WWDLBD

WW1.618D

Quote:
The shape it takes could be yours to choose

What you may win, what you may lose
Sativa is manna from heaven - BLueGrassToker

Ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cured - Ureapwhatusow

nobody every told me i found out for myself, you've got to believe in foolish miracles - o. osborne

Although the masters make the rules
For the wise men and the fools
I got nothing, Ma, to live up to - b. Dylan
Weird is offline Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 10-25-2017, 04:54 AM #3
neongreen

neongreen is just really niceneongreen is just really niceneongreen is just really niceneongreen is just really niceneongreen is just really niceneongreen is just really niceneongreen is just really niceneongreen is just really niceneongreen is just really nice
They are all fairly mature. Cloned over two months ago now, and many in need of potting up!

48 hours and the plants seem fine, although I guess it's still early days. I may take clones from the larger clones, just to be sure I don't loose anything important!

neongreen is offline Quote

Old 10-25-2017, 06:19 AM #4
Dawn Patrol
Relentlessly Taking Cuts

Dawn Patrol has much to be proud ofDawn Patrol has much to be proud ofDawn Patrol has much to be proud ofDawn Patrol has much to be proud ofDawn Patrol has much to be proud ofDawn Patrol has much to be proud ofDawn Patrol has much to be proud ofDawn Patrol has much to be proud ofDawn Patrol has much to be proud ofDawn Patrol has much to be proud ofDawn Patrol has much to be proud of
I think you'll be fine. I've been experimenting with a strip of very dense foam (Magic Eraser sponges cut up) saturated with essential rosemary oil wrapped and tied around the base stem. Every week I add more oil and I've seen no adverse effects at all.

Next step is to test my essential oil mixes but i don't anticipate any issues with them.

See some of my girls

Gainesville Green - my first true love

Whats going on in my grow cab???
Dawn Patrol is offline Quote

Old 10-25-2017, 06:20 AM #5
aridbud
automeister

aridbud has a brilliant futurearidbud has a brilliant futurearidbud has a brilliant futurearidbud has a brilliant futurearidbud has a brilliant futurearidbud has a brilliant futurearidbud has a brilliant futurearidbud has a brilliant futurearidbud has a brilliant futurearidbud has a brilliant futurearidbud has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawn Patrol View Post
I think you'll be fine. I've been experimenting with a strip of very dense foam (Magic Eraser sponges cut up) saturated with essential rosemary oil wrapped and tied around the base stem. Every week I add more oil and I've seen no adverse effects at all.

Next step is to test my essential oil mixes but i don't anticipate any issues with them.
Great idea!
John Harrigan
Instant gratification takes too long.
Carrie Fisher - RIP.
afterthought autos
We are passionate breeders of unique quality cannabis autoflower hybrid seeds at down to earth prices; now 11 years running!

https://www.icmag.com/ic/forumdisplay.php?f=65770
aridbud is offline Quote

Old 10-26-2017, 06:11 AM #6
Dawn Patrol
Relentlessly Taking Cuts

Dawn Patrol has much to be proud ofDawn Patrol has much to be proud ofDawn Patrol has much to be proud ofDawn Patrol has much to be proud ofDawn Patrol has much to be proud ofDawn Patrol has much to be proud ofDawn Patrol has much to be proud ofDawn Patrol has much to be proud ofDawn Patrol has much to be proud ofDawn Patrol has much to be proud ofDawn Patrol has much to be proud of
I've been experimenting with essential oils (rosemary in particular) for almost a year now as aphids and spider mites are an ongoing battle for me here. We haven't had a hard freeze for about 7 years now and all the bugs are at full strength all the time.

The sponge stem barrier is not my idea, I saw it here or on another forum but it's a great way to keep pests from "climbing the tree" as it were.

By the way, the essential oils mixes need to be sprayed weekly to be effective, but for a non systemic, organic solution they seem to be working quite well for me. I can't say they eradicate the pests, but they do seem to keep them in check. Plants are healthy, happy and show no signs of pest infestation even though I occasionally can scope a spider mite or two.

See some of my girls

Gainesville Green - my first true love

Whats going on in my grow cab???
Dawn Patrol is offline Quote

Old 10-26-2017, 06:13 AM #7
troutman

troutman has much to be proud oftroutman has much to be proud oftroutman has much to be proud oftroutman has much to be proud oftroutman has much to be proud oftroutman has much to be proud oftroutman has much to be proud oftroutman has much to be proud oftroutman has much to be proud oftroutman has much to be proud oftroutman has much to be proud of
Will the vaseline create a greased pole and the spider mites keep sliding down?

3 members found this post helpful.
Old 10-26-2017, 06:00 PM #8
St. Phatty

St. Phatty has a brilliant futureSt. Phatty has a brilliant futureSt. Phatty has a brilliant futureSt. Phatty has a brilliant futureSt. Phatty has a brilliant futureSt. Phatty has a brilliant futureSt. Phatty has a brilliant futureSt. Phatty has a brilliant futureSt. Phatty has a brilliant futureSt. Phatty has a brilliant futureSt. Phatty has a brilliant future
Not a single KY joke ...
St. Phatty is offline Quote

Old 11-18-2017, 01:17 AM #9
Sativan

Sativan will become famous soon enoughSativan will become famous soon enough
I use a ring of Tanglefoot around the base of the stem if I develop mites or other crawling insects. it does no damage.
Sativan is offline Quote

3 members found this post helpful.
Old 11-18-2017, 03:05 AM #10
Lrus007

Lrus007 is just really niceLrus007 is just really niceLrus007 is just really niceLrus007 is just really niceLrus007 is just really niceLrus007 is just really niceLrus007 is just really niceLrus007 is just really nice
i also use tanglefoot on outdoor.
it will not harm the plant.
Lrus007
My therapist says I am a habitual liar and an attention seeker, therefore nothing I say/write is true and under no circumstances should I be believed nor held accountable for anything I say. all photo's are paintings

admit nothing, deny everything, demand proof
Lrus007 is offline Quote