Register ICMag Forum Menu Features Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
You are viewing our:
in:
Forums > Marijuana Growing > Cannabis Growing Questions > Need Guidance with Grow Setup

Thread Title Search
Click to Visit Cannapot for Cannabis Genetics
Post Reply
Need Guidance with Grow Setup Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-20-2017, 03:52 AM #1
greenfox
Member

greenfox's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 66
greenfox will become famous soon enough
Need Guidance with Grow Setup

Hey all here's the TLDR:
I want to grow but I'm the type of person who gets overwhelmed with all the information out there which in turn ends up debilitating me to the point where I end up doing nothing. I'm at the point now that I'm ready to buy but haven't settled on any particular setup. I'm after soil, led, and growing in garage / indoors.

Let's talk about what I'm after:
SIMPLICITY IS KEY
- I'm a medical patient from the west coast and would like to provide for myself.
- Stealth is key so I'd like to grow in my garage (I was thinking a 4x4x7 ft tent but what do I know?!) / indoor (if indoors, would really be limited in space so maybe a 2x2x5 ft?)
- Soil, organic preferred. I'm really interested in the whole "living soil / teaming with microbes / just add water" sort of thing, but I understand I may have to wait until I have more experience.
- LED screw in lighting. I like the idea of low heat (less fire risk yadda yadda) and the simplicity of replacing burnt bulbs.
- Main-lining could be my technique, but I understand that I'll have to do some sort of canopy management.

End Goal would be harvesting as often as I can so I've also considered having multiple enclosures for seedlings / veg / flower.

I know I may be asking a lot, but I'd really like to get some guidance on what exactly I should be picking up.
Thank you so much for the help!
greenfox is offline Quote


Old 11-20-2017, 06:17 AM #2
thejact55
Member

thejact55's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: 48°
Posts: 398
thejact55 is a jewel in the roughthejact55 is a jewel in the roughthejact55 is a jewel in the roughthejact55 is a jewel in the roughthejact55 is a jewel in the roughthejact55 is a jewel in the roughthejact55 is a jewel in the rough
It it simple to grow healthy plants.
First- tent: how many lights you planning on running? How much do you want to yeild? Then based on these answers you can choose a tent. I run three 3x3x7 tents. 2x2 isnt much, a plant or two, and height issues will occur.
Soil- you can make your own, and its alot of fun. But id get a grow under my belt first, make sure your gonna stick with it. Foxfarm works, maybe just dilute it down a little for seedlings.
Lights: are you meaning lights specifically for growing or just stanfard lights? Mars and viparspectra have reasonable pricing, and good quality for the price...but they still arent super cheap.
Mainlining is fine. I do it on seed runs. You can cram 12 one gallon pots in a 3x3 or 9 comfortably. Some strains work better than others. I recommend toying around with options, see what method suites you best.

Get a tent, get some decent soil, some pots, a light, a fan, nutrients of you choice (dont feed them when young, and less is more!!), then some seeds or clones. Try it out, build more supplies as needed later.
__________________
My Landrace based grows and reproductions: https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=321533

Growing for a seed stash, more than a bud stash.

Help the DEA fight cartels and crime, grow your own weed!
thejact55 is offline Quote


Old 11-20-2017, 08:15 AM #3
Patmando22
Member

Patmando22's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 353
Patmando22 is just really nicePatmando22 is just really nicePatmando22 is just really nicePatmando22 is just really nicePatmando22 is just really nicePatmando22 is just really nicePatmando22 is just really nicePatmando22 is just really nicePatmando22 is just really nice
Check out buildasoil they are a great sorce for high quality organic supplies.
Patmando22 is offline Quote


Old 11-20-2017, 08:25 AM #4
Patmando22
Member

Patmando22's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 353
Patmando22 is just really nicePatmando22 is just really nicePatmando22 is just really nicePatmando22 is just really nicePatmando22 is just really nicePatmando22 is just really nicePatmando22 is just really nicePatmando22 is just really nicePatmando22 is just really nice
Ic has a endless amount of organic grow info, some of the best on the web imo. Read read read everything you need to know is on this site. You sound like you have a basic idea for what you want already. There is no better fealling then producing your own cannabis if your crop comes out being something you like using in the end so find genetics you like. Less is more most of the time. Feed your soil not your plants the best organic farmers also "grow" compost and worms most of the time. Good luck my friend and may the grow force be with you
Patmando22 is offline Quote


Old 11-20-2017, 07:02 PM #5
greenfox
Member

greenfox's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 66
greenfox will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patmando22 View Post
Ic has a endless amount of organic grow info, some of the best on the web imo. Read read read everything you need to know is on this site. You sound like you have a basic idea for what you want already. There is no better fealling then producing your own cannabis if your crop comes out being something you like using in the end so find genetics you like. Less is more most of the time. Feed your soil not your plants the best organic farmers also "grow" compost and worms most of the time. Good luck my friend and may the grow force be with you
Thank you for the encouragement!

Yeah I'm just getting started with gardening and didn't know if I wanted to tackle the whole organic process or get a harvest under my belt first.
Buildasoil looks interesting so I'll read into that.

One thing to note, is maybe it's just my character, but the amount of info is very overwhelming.. I've read, read, read, it's the decision making that gets me :(.
greenfox is offline Quote


Old 11-20-2017, 07:03 PM #6
greenfox
Member

greenfox's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 66
greenfox will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by thejact55 View Post
It it simple to grow healthy plants.
First- tent: how many lights you planning on running? How much do you want to yeild? Then based on these answers you can choose a tent. I run three 3x3x7 tents. 2x2 isnt much, a plant or two, and height issues will occur.
Soil- you can make your own, and its alot of fun. But id get a grow under my belt first, make sure your gonna stick with it. Foxfarm works, maybe just dilute it down a little for seedlings.
Lights: are you meaning lights specifically for growing or just stanfard lights? Mars and viparspectra have reasonable pricing, and good quality for the price...but they still arent super cheap.
Mainlining is fine. I do it on seed runs. You can cram 12 one gallon pots in a 3x3 or 9 comfortably. Some strains work better than others. I recommend toying around with options, see what method suites you best.

Get a tent, get some decent soil, some pots, a light, a fan, nutrients of you choice (dont feed them when young, and less is more!!), then some seeds or clones. Try it out, build more supplies as needed later.
Thank you for the reply.

What tent brand are you running and have you noticed any issues with them?
Also, what made you go with 3x3x7 vs 4x4x7?
greenfox is offline Quote


Old 11-20-2017, 08:56 PM #7
justanotherbozo
on the bus ride of life.

justanotherbozo's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 1,512
justanotherbozo has much to be proud ofjustanotherbozo has much to be proud ofjustanotherbozo has much to be proud ofjustanotherbozo has much to be proud ofjustanotherbozo has much to be proud ofjustanotherbozo has much to be proud ofjustanotherbozo has much to be proud ofjustanotherbozo has much to be proud ofjustanotherbozo has much to be proud ofjustanotherbozo has much to be proud ofjustanotherbozo has much to be proud of
yeah, if you are totally new at this and suffering a bit from information overload then maybe your instincts are on the money in that getting a harvest or 2 under your belt before tackling organic soil growing might be a good idea.

...organic soil growing can be a very easy method if you know about the lifeweb within the soil and you know how to maintain that lifeweb but if you don't then organic soil growing can be very difficult and frustrating, i found it so anyway.

...if you are looking for a proven, simple to run system that is almost guaranteed to give you a decent crop your first try then i recommend coco hempy buckets fed KISS style and there are MANY grows here on the Mag for you to see how this can be done.

...in my own case as an example i run 8 plants per cycle potted into 2gallon hempys in a 4x4 Secret Jardin DR120 with 2 plants on each side of the tent surrounding a 600HPS, barebulb vertical style and using Marlo's W.O.W. vertical SCROG technique (he has a thread here inhouse that is well worth the read, just search for 'Marlo' or W.O.W. although searching for Marlo would be better as he is a gifted grower and a very clever DIYer who has authored several great threads)







anyway, with this setup i pull between 12 and 16 zipz per cycle with zero drama and very little labor, i'm a lazy phuck by nature so simple is as simple does, for me at least, lol.

peace, bozo

btw, my Secret Jardin is 7+ years old and still going strong.
__________________
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." .....Thomas Jefferson

"Those that give up Liberty to have temporary Security deserve Neither"......Benjamin Franklin.

"The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it." ..... George Orwell
justanotherbozo is offline Quote


1 members found this post helpful.
Old 11-24-2017, 03:03 AM #8
greenfox
Member

greenfox's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 66
greenfox will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by justanotherbozo View Post
yeah, if you are totally new at this and suffering a bit from information overload then maybe your instincts are on the money in that getting a harvest or 2 under your belt before tackling organic soil growing might be a good idea.

...organic soil growing can be a very easy method if you know about the lifeweb within the soil and you know how to maintain that lifeweb but if you don't then organic soil growing can be very difficult and frustrating, i found it so anyway.

...if you are looking for a proven, simple to run system that is almost guaranteed to give you a decent crop your first try then i recommend coco hempy buckets fed KISS style and there are MANY grows here on the Mag for you to see how this can be done.

...in my own case as an example i run 8 plants per cycle potted into 2gallon hempys in a 4x4 Secret Jardin DR120 with 2 plants on each side of the tent surrounding a 600HPS, barebulb vertical style and using Marlo's W.O.W. vertical SCROG technique (he has a thread here inhouse that is well worth the read, just search for 'Marlo' or W.O.W. although searching for Marlo would be better as he is a gifted grower and a very clever DIYer who has authored several great threads)

View Image

View Image

View Image

anyway, with this setup i pull between 12 and 16 zipz per cycle with zero drama and very little labor, i'm a lazy phuck by nature so simple is as simple does, for me at least, lol.

peace, bozo

btw, my Secret Jardin is 7+ years old and still going strong.
Thanks for the info!

Is your DR in your house or garage? How Is it noisy with everything going? What did you pay for the DR if you don't mind me asking?
greenfox is offline Quote


Post Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 12:15 PM.


Advertise on ICMag - Click for more info


This site is for educational and entertainment purposes only.
You must be of legal age to view ICmag and participate here.
All postings are the responsibility of their authors.
Powered by: vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.