What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Word of the Day - New words, and what they mean!

DocTim420

The Doctor is OUT and has moved on...
I like these two--both kinda mean the same thing.

ae·gis also e·gis (ē′jĭs)
n.
1. Protection: a child whose welfare is now under the aegis of the courts.
2. Sponsorship; patronage: a concert held under the aegis of the parents' association.
3. Guidance, direction, or control: "the Mamelukes, the warrior caste that ruled Egypt under the distant aegis of the Turkish sultan" (David A. Bell).
4. Greek Mythology The goatskin shield or breastplate of Zeus or Athena. Athena's shield carried at its center the head of Medusa.
[Latin, from Greek aigis, goatskin, skin shield, aegis, from aix, aig-, goat.]

aus·pice (ô′spĭs)
n. pl. aus·pi·ces (ô′spĭ-sĭz, -sēz′)
1. also auspices Protection or support; patronage.
2. A sign indicative of future prospects; an omen: Auspices for the venture seemed favorable.
3. Observation of and divination from the actions of birds.
[Latin auspicium, bird divination, auspices, from auspex, auspic-, bird augur; see awi- in Indo-European roots.]

trichrider

Kiss My Ring
Veteran
PROJECTION

pro·jec·tion
[pr uh- jek-sh uhn]

NOUN
a projecting or protruding part.
the state or fact of jutting out or protruding.
a causing to jut or protrude.
the act, process, or result of projecting.
Cartography. a systematic construction of lines drawn on a plane surface representative of and corresponding to the meridians and parallels of the curved surface of the earth or celestial sphere.
the act of visualizing and regarding an idea or the like as an objective reality.
something that is so visualized and regarded.
calculation of some future thing: They fell short of their projection for the rate of growth.
the act of communicating distinctly and forcefully to an audience.
the act of planning or scheming.
Alchemy. the casting of the powder of philosophers' stone upon metal in fusion, to transmute it into gold or silver.

the political intrigue increased with projection of Alinsky's tactics...

:tiphat:

Weird

3rd-Eye Jedi
Veteran
The same should appy for spelling

The same should appy for spelling

31a269f4759ada7e82bcd32995557f9a.jpg

Weird

3rd-Eye Jedi
Veteran
"Words are all we have" proclaimed Irish playwright Samuel Beckett not because he made a living out of it but because he understood the potency of words. Words are much more powerful and influential than any weapon and it is a 'weapon of future' that must not be misused.

Words have a longstanding effect on the minds of a listener. They can make the listener his friend or his enemy. From daily household occurrences to nationwide struggle, words are influential in making a long lasting impact. The sarcastic remarks or kind compliments to your friends and family to powerful speeches at national and international forums, the sinew of words can be seen by the effect they have on the listener.

I feel my existence here is sustained by the words I have said that resonate deep within the listeners conscious and subconscious in a positive way, and yes of course I know how to use that power in converse.

As much as I can touch a person's heart I can disturb people to the core of their being. Sometimes when it comes to the latter I don't even know since I am detached from my emotion when I speak about it.

It is my adaption to my trauma and mental illness which comes with its own blessing and curse.

Weird

3rd-Eye Jedi
Veteran
This is going to be fun!
Where's Weird at?
Bet he's got some doozies.

Ex·cogi-tate:
-to think out carefully & fully.
-to contrive, devise or invent by such thought.

:) I have arrived but my mind is weird so it will take a while before I can contribute

Bud Green

I dig dirt
Veteran
reprobate: noun- a degenerate, scumbag type of person..

perfect word to describe the stereotypical meth head or tweaker..
Also good for describing a large number of politicians...

Gypsy Nirvana

Recalcitrant Reprobate -
Administrator
Veteran
RECALCITRANT

[ri-kal-si-truh nt]

adjective
resisting authority or control; not obedient or compliant; refractory.
hard to deal with, manage, or operate.
noun
a recalcitrant person.

...Recalcitrant goes well with reprobate, hence 'Recalcitrant reprobate'...

Gypsy Nirvana

Recalcitrant Reprobate -
Administrator
Veteran
rapscallion

rapscallion

[rap-skal-yuh n]

noun 1. a rascal; rogue; scamp.
Recalcitrant-Reprobated-Rapscallion!.......now we are getting into constructive criticism alright. Next time you get into a road-rage incident, try screaming that with 'You' on the front of it.

Gypsy Nirvana

Recalcitrant Reprobate -
Administrator
Veteran
Yeah, that'll show 'em!:biggrin:

....at least it might make a welcome positive change from the usual a-typical profane invective usually present at such gatherings.

....I do so tire of it. If you are going to be nasty with words, then its best to at least attempt to be creative about it.

Bud Green

I dig dirt
Veteran
I hadn't heard this one in a while until a friend used it recently...

retort....
verb.... rəˈtôrt
verb: retort; 3rd person present: retorts; past tense: retorted; past participle: retorted; gerund or present participle: retorting

1. say something in answer to a remark or accusation, typically in a sharp, angry, or wittily incisive manner.
    example: "“Yeah, that'll show 'em,” retorted Bud"
    synonyms:answer, reply, respond, say in response, return, counter, rejoin, riposte, retaliate, snap back "“Oh, sure,” she retorted"

MJPassion

Observer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
pleio·taxy
Botany... "an increase in the number of whorls in a flower

plei·ot·ropy
Genetics... "the conditionin which a single gene e erts simultaneous effects on more than one character in the offspring.
Also called plei·ot'ro-pism, pleio·tropic

Weird

3rd-Eye Jedi
Veteran
palindrome

palindrome (pălˈĭn-drōmˌ)

• n.
    A word, phrase, verse, or sentence that reads the same backward or forward. For example: A man, a plan, a canal, Panama!
  • n.
    A segment of double-stranded DNA in which the nucleotide sequence of one strand reads in reverse order to that of the complementary strand.

onomatopoeia

onomatopoeia (ŏnˌə-mătˌə-pēˈə, -mäˌtə-)

• n.
    The formation or use of words such as buzz or murmur that imitate the sounds associated with the objects or actions they refer to.

DocTim420

in·con·dite (ĭn-kŏn′dĭt, -dīt′)
adj.

in·con′dite·ly
adv.

1. poorly constructed or composed
2. rough or crude

[Latin inconditus : in-, not; see in-1 + conditus, past participle of condere, to put together; see dhē- in Indo-European roots.]

Let's add "used in a sentence" too--

Used in a sentence: Some of us write with sophistication, while others prefer to write inconditely.

trichrider

Kiss My Ring
Veteran
Sporogenesis

noun, Biology.
1. the production of spores; sporogony.
2. reproduction by means of spores.

The life cycle of plants alternates between a diploid sporophytic generation and a haploid gametophytic generation. The transition from sporophyte to gametophyte requires the formation of haploid cells (spores) by meiosis, a process called sporogenesis. In flowering plants, sporogenesis is initiated in both male and female reproductive tissues by the differentiation of sub-epidermal cells in the anther and ovule primordia, called archesporial cells (ACs), into pre-meiotic cells called sporocytes. Both male sporocytes (microsporocytes) and female sporocytes (megasporocytes) will then undergo meiosis to give rise to the microspores and megaspores, in the male and female organs, respectively. The specification of the sporocytes represents a critical step in the process of sporogenesis.

usage:
"the process of sporogenesis creates unique individual organisms through sporulation during meiosis or mitosis."

:tiphat:

Gypsy Nirvana

Recalcitrant Reprobate -
Administrator
Veteran
ALLELE

[uh-leel]

Word Origin Germany.
noun, Genetics.
any of several forms of a gene, usually arising through mutation, that are responsible for hereditary variation.

German
1930-1935; < German Allel, apparently as shortening of German equivalents of allelomorph or allelomorphic gene; allelo- < Greek allēlo-, combining form of allḗlōn of/to one another, reciprocally

Related forms.
allelic [uh-lee-lik, uh-lel-ik] (Show IPA), adjective
allelism, noun
interallelic, adjective
nonallelic, adjective

DocTim420

Ergo

er·go (ûr′gō, âr′-)
conj.
Consequently; therefore.
adv.
Consequently; hence.

Used in sentence: I grow my own pot, ergo I seldom run out.