What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

PH meters

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
Jella, yellow cheapie. Less than $20 and actually works correctly. Company has great customer service. My $140+ hanna worked for years, still had 95% battery life when the probe died through misuse. :( This worked out great, because the Jella arrived with almost dead batteries and my Hanna batteries fit the new meter. (Edit: Yes, always have drops as a back up. lol)

Happy :)

~star~crash~

I'm also tired of the inconsistencies (and i have a nice bluelab combo) so i got me some Universal Indicator pH Test Strips & we'll see if my garden survives!

Lemmiss

Could say they work for a while :)

When they are relatively new and newly calibrated they work fine. I don't think there's much difference between the brands. Maybe that the No1 cheapest and No1 most expensive are a _little_ bit worse or better. They all use the same technique.

You just have to accept that ph-meters are an item wich doesen't last very long(the probe). And to give correct measurements during their lasting time they need proper care and _frequent_ calibrations.

pH-meters are practical when you _often do a lot of_ measurements, or need the continuous/live value. Otherwise it just means more work. So considering their nature, it would be smart to always have a backup ph-testkit(drops+paper) when you suspect you're probe is lying to you. They're never wrong.

Douglas.Curtis

Interesting.

I was going to ask why pH meter probes must be kept in a solution & this article explained why.

https://bitesizebio.com/8750/how-to-care-for-your-ph-meter/
I use r/o in a jar. My Hanna drifted .2 points in 3 years? Planning on replacing the probe at some point, great meter.

The Jella I purchased, for under $20, even came with powdered calibration solution packets for 7 and 4 pH calibration. Excellent deal, even if it only lasts 3-4 months. :dance013:

MJPassion

Observer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Did you check out that article Douglas?
It says not to use DI or RO water because it screws up the bulb solution (reference solution).

I screwed up & let my bulb dry out. In this case, I belive the solution becomes concentrated due to evaporation, screwing up readings.

Does that Jella probe have the remove & cut tape at the probe?
I've never had good luck with those types of pens.

Douglas.Curtis

Did you check out that article Douglas?
It says not to use DI or RO water because it screws up the bulb solution (reference solution).
Did you check out my post? A .2 drift in 3 years, being kept in r/o water... The meter quit working because I accidentally let it dry out in 140F temps, for a week. heh

Lemmiss

Did you check out my post? A .2 drift in 3 years, being kept in r/o water... The meter quit working because I accidentally let it dry out in 140F temps, for a week. heh

Why such a harsh tone? He's just being friendly pointing out what science says. The probes measure the flow of ions through the glass probe. So as to not be used up it should be stored in something as similar as to what's inside the probe as possible, aka "storing solution", with same potential inside, as outside of probe you get less flow/diffusion out of electrode = It lasts longer. If you store it in distilled/RO-water with no ions, the probe, which is full off ions will leak it out at a faster pace, ending it faster. That's not to say you are wrong? But you could maybe actually have had a _better_ result not storing it in RO-water.

Anyway, I just bought my first PH-pen, a real Cheapo for 10£. Gonna follow all the "guidelines" and see how long it'll last me...

Lemmiss

Just wanna add, my cheap probe was delivered dry? :-S Is that normal for u others? Or maybe just a part of the "cheapie"? :)

I also use bluelab, I don't use storage solution or clean probe other than rinsing under the tap (35ppm water). Stays accurate for months, when I calibrate after several months it's only out by .1 if at all

Plus they are made in New Zealand, as am I. We like international money...

Before the bluelab i used a Hanna combo meter and it failed sooner even with more frequent calibrations than the bluelab. I still use it for EC, which may or may not be accurate, but it's a good reference point for me to either raise or lower feed judging by plant health

Last edited: