What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Double Kindness makes lollipops/hard candy

Hi fellow icmag'ers. I frequently get asked how I make my lollipops/hard candies, and I often see people on here and other boards looking for hard candy recipes.

You can make these candies using BHO or ISO preferably. For every .5g of BHO use .7g of ISO. For every .5g of BHO you can replace it with 2.5g of hash (bubble or fullmelt, the higher the quality you put in, the better the quality of the candy). Using hash though, the finished product can be a lot more grainy textured, and not pleasant to lick, and you have to use considerably more hash vs oil I have found out by experimentation.

You can use cannabutter, but it will leave you with a flexible candy product in the end, unless you raise the temps to a toffee type recipe. I also do not like the way cannabutter candies taste, and with all the sugar used in the making of these candies, do you really want to involve butter too?

This is the recipe for roughly 24 small lollipops, which is 4 lollipop tray molds full.

Double Kindness Lollipops

2 Tablespoons water
1/2 of 1/3c corn syrup
1/2 c sugar
.6g BHO or .7g ISO
1 dram candy flavoring
pam cooking spray
lollipop sticks
candy molds
lollipop wrappers
candy thermometer

In a small pan with high sides, add the water, corn syrup and sugar together on high heat.... I can only figure out how to upload 4 thumbnail photos at a time, so this is a follow along recipe.

Put the candy thermometer in the boiling sugars, but be sure the tip of the thermometer doesn't touch the bottom of the pan. The pan I used to make these candies in these pictures is my favorite pan for this purpose, it is the right size and height to hang the candy thermometer on.

Attachments

• 1batchcandy.jpg
    1batchcandy.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 49
  • beforemixing.jpg
    beforemixing.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 55
  • bho4candy.jpg
    bho4candy.jpg
    15.6 KB · Views: 57
  • boilingsugars.jpg
    boilingsugars.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 46
You can get the lollipop molds at places like hobby lobby or other craft stores, you can get everything you need at the craft store.

I go to a cake making/gourmet bakers supply store and they have unique flavors there. Its all about finding the flavors you like.

When you get the molds, wash them out well with mild soapy water and dry them well, then lightly spray with pam cooking spray. If you don't use a cooking spray, the candies will stick in the molds and you will be breaking a lot of candy to get them out. Do not spray too much cooking spray in the molds.

When the temps reach 302F, take the sugars off of the heat and add 1 dram of flavoring, and the BHO or ISO and mix thoroughly. It will foam up a little, but that will settle quickly.

Use a small metal or wooden spoon to help pour the HOT HOT HOT sugars into the molds. Make sure to get molds that can handle hard candy mixtures and not just chocolate molds, they will melt and deform on you very quickly, as they are not suited for hard candy mixes, but melted chocolates are better for these molds.

The candies only need about 10 minutes after you pour them before they are ready for packaging. I highly advise packaging your candies, if you do not, they will turn into a gross sticky, slightly gummy consistency. Store them in the fridge or freezer, they will stay fresher longer.

If you are tempted while at the craft store to get a flavoring additive to make it sweeter or for sour candy, please save yourself the trouble. I have used this additive, and the only thing it did was change the consitancy of the candy, and not in a good way. YMMV

These make very potent candies. I am a heavy medicator and over a 4 hour period I had 4 lollipops and the band I had specifically come to see was just setting up and I had to call my husband to come pick me up as I was too medicated to be in public.

Enjoy!

DK

Attachments

• beginmixing.jpg
    beginmixing.jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 47
  • candythermometer.jpg
    candythermometer.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 54
  • flavoring drams.jpg
    flavoring drams.jpg
    36.4 KB · Views: 54
  • lollipopmolds.jpg
    lollipopmolds.jpg
    28.9 KB · Views: 44

Cheerful

DK, I absolutely love your whole presentation! You give all of the type of tips and details & photos & stuff I'm looking for in any how-to manual. Well Done! :respect::respect:

i<3roxxrz

Verrry Neato :]

Verrry Neato :]

This sounds like it would be fun to make and have as take home goodies for parties...thanks for this info. I'll definitely have to try this asap (meaning when I get a change to replenish the BHO supply, hehe):thank you:
p.s. and the craft store 'Michales' has all sorts of candy molds for these very projects... :]

Budbaby

ahem....pardon me. I'm either ignorant or I'm a moron. Please, what is BHO? ISO?

Can anyone type complete words anymore?
Thank you for any help you can give.

I cannot fix my stupid, but you may be able to fix your smart. Peace.

Nickog

ahem....pardon me. I'm either ignorant or I'm a moron. Please, what is BHO? ISO?

Can anyone type complete words anymore?
Thank you for any help you can give.

I cannot fix my stupid, but you may be able to fix your smart. Peace.

Butane Hash Oil and ISO is short for QWISO, AKA Qwick Wash Isopropal Alcohol.

There are many threads under the Hash and concentrates heading. Leave the BHO threads alone as it is way easier to make QWISO.

Nickog

Thanks DK! When you make your QWISO for this, does it make any difference if it is the more tar-like or if it is the more dry-crumbly type? Also, did you mean to say one dram, equaling .73 teaspoons, or did you mean to say one gram?

Budbaby

Thank you very much for your words. Now, I learned something which makes me want to know more. As with any new interest, I am trying to absorb all the knowledge I can. I am in 'sponge' mode, hoping for the day when everything won't need to be explained as if it were to a child....{blush...}

Have a peaceful rest-of-the-weekend.

Nickog

My first batch looks good, but tastes sooooo bad!!!!!!!! I used cinimmon extact and QWISO. I am not sure if the cinimmon tastes so bad or it it is the QWISO. It is impossible to eat one.
DK, did yours taste bad?

T

Tr33

You added to much cinnamon, it only takes a tiny drop, and it goes a long long way

big ballin 88

Biology over Chemistry
Veteran
Would you consider using a gram of BHO in total over doing it? I just dont want anyone to have to consume copious amounts of sugar :thank you:

You totally inspired me to try making candy for my first time. It seems like such a good way for edibles and just fun in general.

I'll be doing orange cream!

Nickog

Would you consider using a gram of BHO in total over doing it? I just dont want anyone to have to consume copious amounts of sugar :thank you:

You totally inspired me to try making candy for my first time. It seems like such a good way for edibles and just fun in general.

I'll be doing orange cream!

You need the sugar for the volume and flavor of the lollipop. There are ways to use granulated splenda instead.

I dialed in this recipe for a strong dose. Even if you think your tolerance is up there, don't over do it by eating too many of these candies. I am a very HEAVY mediator and smoke BHO like it's nothing, morning, noon nad night. I had 4 of my lollipops and had to have my husband come get me because I was too stoned to be in public. I did use the strongest strain I grew and used buds only to make the BHO, so that may have been a contributing factor. I do make a triple strength candy, which is 3x the BHO or ISO, for my patients that are in really bad pain and for whenI have bad pain days and my tolerance is out of whack, but still I make those 1/2 the size of the small lollipops.

Cinnamon is one of the WORST flavors for making hard candies with BHO or ISO.. I have learned the hard way, which flavors work,and which to avoid. It will make the world of difference between a great tasting potent candy, to a why did I even waste my time doing this type of situation.

Yes 1 DRAM of flavoring, not 1 GRAM. You can add more sugar/corn syrup/water and bho/iso to taste, as I said before I've done this recipe with lots of different amounts of BHO/ISO and these make very potent candies. Average stoners can usually only handle 1/2 of a lollipop. I make this recipe specifically because I do not want to be eating all that sugar.

Heating the sugars to 302F activates all the good stuff in the ISO/BHO, which is why if you put BHO/ISO into a drink, you wouldn't get the same effect, unless you were to heat the drink up with the ISO/BHO and then cool it down, or if you prefer to serve it warm.

Tincture an also be made suing these methods, of glycerin, water, bho/iso, flavoring and some heat (definitely not above say 250F)

The ISO or BHO doesn't matter if it's all crystalline or oily, there isn't any plant matter in it. SOME not ALL hash, on the other hand, can be tricky to work with texture wise (sandpaper laced medicated lollipops anyone?)

Flavors that work really well for the candies are peppermint, watermelon and any citrus type based flavor.

Granulated splenda will not work well for making hard candies, the consistency is weird, and IDK, you have to change a lot of other things int he recipe to make a sugar free version work well.

Cheerful- I love your attitude in all of the different forums we run across each other in.

I will make more threads of my medicated edibles. when I get around to it. I'm only 1 person and I work with my husband and I am also getting very seriously into the breeding side od marijuana. So far I have completed and proven out 3 strains, with 18 more waiting to be proven out more before I would feel comfortable releasing them to the community.

I hope everyone has a great 4th of july weekend!

DK

Nickog

After 3 batches of lollipops, here are my thoughts.

I prefer 1 cup of sugar+1/3 cup of Karo suryp+1/4 cup water.

I heat them in a small teflon coated kettle. Using my candy thermomitor, (bought at any grocery store in the gagets-baking aisle), I heated it slowly till it looked melted together.
I added 1 gm of ISO. To get my one gram, I put a teaspoon on the scale and dripped the ISO till I had a gram, placed the spoon in the sysrup and mixed till the spoon contents dissolved.
I kept the temp of the mixture to about 250 degrees. When it looked fully dissolved, I added about 5 drops of food coloring, and the flavor. I bought the candy flavor set, rather then the normal flavoring. I would add a drop or two, mix well, take out my spoon, put a drop on a piece of wax paper, place the drop in the freezer for a minute, then suck on it to check for the flavor.

When ready, heat the mixture to 300 degrees. This is important, as the mixture will harden when cooled at this temprature. Watch it closely, cause it will start to rise to the top of the kettle when boiling. It can also cause some nasty burns so have your work area organized.

Once ready, pour the kettle into a pyrex measuring cup with a pour spout. The plastic molds from Michaels are not meant for the hard candies at this temprature. The mold will melt. Wait for a few minutes till the mixture cools a bit, no longer is bubbling, and is thick. Now pour it into the molds, add the sticks, and wait for them to cool.

No matter what I do, they don't taste good. I tried 3 different flavors. The taste of the ISO comes through strong. It is not unbearable, but not great.
A few people tried dipping the sucker in hot tea or coffee. It melted faster, tasted bettter, and they drank what melted into the cup.
Over all, I got 14 lollipops in each batch. Everyone who tried the sucker really enjoyed the feeling as it came on slowly, about 1.5 hours after starting the lollipop and lasted for 3-5 hours.

Nic- You need to cook the sugars/water to 302F and take off the heat BEFORE you add the ISO and falvoring, this could be a major conributing factor on flavor. Did you try peppermint, watermelon, orange or lime? They work the best, And since you're using QWISO, if you leave hte alcohol in contact withthe plant matter too long, it will carry a bitter taste to the edibles, which is why I prefer BHO. The best way to make flavorful (yummy not bitter or yucky) is to use fresh buds and do a quick was in everclear and boil that down for amber glass, otherwise the ISO turns dark brown and has more of a plant taste to it instead of a slight clean cannabis taste.

Nickog

Nic- You need to cook the sugars/water to 302F and take off the heat BEFORE you add the ISO and falvoring, this could be a major conributing factor on flavor. Did you try peppermint, watermelon, orange or lime? They work the best, And since you're using QWISO, if you leave hte alcohol in contact withthe plant matter too long, it will carry a bitter taste to the edibles, which is why I prefer BHO. The best way to make flavorful (yummy not bitter or yucky) is to use fresh buds and do a quick was in everclear and boil that down for amber glass, otherwise the ISO turns dark brown and has more of a plant taste to it instead of a slight clean cannabis taste.

Why do you take it off the burner before adding the ISO and flavor? I tried peppermint, cinnimon, cream de menth, and cherry. My trim was very dry, far from fresh! I did a bit longer exposer then normal. I was low on trim and wanted to make sure I had enough for a number of batches of lollipops. I will have some new trim this week and will try again!

DK, have you ever steamed old trim before making the QWISO?

Budbaby

You sound like you really know what you are talking about....edible-wise. I enjoy the candies that I've tried, but have you ever tried to make candy using agave, rather than sugar or corn syrup? I am anxious to learn if it can be done, and if so, how.

Sugar is so bad, and ingesting a ton of it just to consume my medicine is ludicrous! Thank you for any ideas and suggestions you may have to offer.

Peace and healthy green hugs,