What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Silica -

browntrout

Veteran
I've seen some others indicate that you should not stop using silica until the final weeks of flower. What would be the reason for this?

I understand it becomes immobile in plant tissues at some point.

Is there any disadvantages to using potassium silicate in the first few weeks of flower? I noticed some stretching and hollow stems when I used it in veg, is this normal? Or is this a bi-product of P.

Also can it be detrimental to microbial herds?

Thanks,

BT

T

Teddybrae

I have some Potassium Silicate too but haven't used it yet. the manufacturer states it is good to repair insect damage as a protection against mould (as well as providing K for flowering).

But I think Silicon is important for growing the pointy things that get resin on them in your heads. I mean the white things that eventually go orange. Know what I mean?

Help! (Dope or dementia? Last evening's cookie musta been a ripper!)

GodspeedGrows

Several reasons. Some people believe it gives a cleaner burn when you cut it earlier. Some people, like me, cut it because as the buds get heavy the silica causes the stalks to bend excessively. Some people cut it to save money. Some people cut it so they dont have to flush it.

No single answer to it.