What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Earliest anyone has planted autoflowers in the Willamette valley outdoors?

PDX Dopesmoker

What I'd really like to know is the earliest anyone has planted autoflowers in the Willamette valley outdoors and gotten good results, but that would have been too long of a title.

redlaser

Veteran
The info is out there, but those auto growers are tight lipped on that valuable info. I think that ruderalis makes them paranoid.

squatty

Maybe if you tell us when you've planted autoflowers outdoors in the past, then someone might be able to judge if they've planted earlier.

I've only been growing since legalization. I've started superautos indoors in April and put them outside in the middle of May.

PDX Dopesmoker

The info is out there, but those auto growers are tight lipped on that valuable info. I think that ruderalis makes them paranoid.

Well thats a good sign anyway

Maybe if you tell us when you've planted autoflowers outdoors in the past, then someone might be able to judge if they've planted earlier.

I've only been growing since legalization. I've started superautos indoors in April and put them outside in the middle of May.

Thanks, I've never tried autos before so it seems like I'm going to end up staggering them out there and learning whats what that way.

Oregon Coast

Oregon Coast

Well thats a good sign anyway

Thanks, I've never tried autos before so it seems like I'm going to end up staggering them out there and learning whats what that way.

PDX,

I'm a Oregon Coast guy. Clatsop and ON the coast, when I'm not in Colombia South AM.

https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=353244&page=3

I feel that they did just "ok" and know there is room for improvement.

Last year at this time I germed seeds and got them in the ground. They were kept in a greenhouse until I returned from down South 4-30-2018... Only given minimum attention during my absence.

Three Durban Poison (auto) and one type Strain from Santa Marta area (unknown origin). Also, Upon my return and first look at the progress I damn near fell over. They were all 4.5 to 5 feet. I dragged them out into the sun and they thrived for remaining part of the summer. Because they got a good start, they flowered and were ready to harvest the last week of Aug.

As you know we dont get the intense sun on the coast because of marine cloud cover.

Never-the-less they all reached about 7.5' tall. It was my first stab at growing my 4 legals

Since coming to this site Ive learned and tried to focus on Pac NW growers.

Problems I encountered:

*Definitely got root bound. They would have produced more if they would have had the space to let the root system do what it wanted to.

* did not prune at all so they got as tall / wide as they could therefore I needed to tie them down so the neighbors could not see.

*Not being that rural I felt the need to "babysit" them because as time passed they of course became more "valuable" in my mind.

https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=345748&page=8

PDX Dopesmoker

Your better off planting autos out late than too early. Cold weather will stunt them bad.

Peace GG

I learned that last spring. I grew some comically tiny little stunted autos out of the ones I started in March. The ones I started at the end of April ended up growing out normally.
I might try some more early ones this spring to see if I find a cold resistant one or I might take a page from Captain Nasty's and set up a little greenhouse for early spring veg.

R

Robrites

Mothers Day has always been my go-to date on that side of the mountains.

therevverend

Veteran
Robrites nailed it. From Washington to Eugene, Mother's Day is usually around the earliest you can put plants out in the ground without shelter. It varies year to year. Sometimes the ground's cold and closer to May 20 is better. Sometimes it warms up early, 70 degree days in early May and you can start earlier, May 5.
I have a protected area next to the house, I can put my plants out in April. I've started Autos around April 1, shuttling them between outdoors and indoors for the first couple weeks. This isn't ideal, I don't like them finishing in June the weather's too damp. I like them to finish after the solstice and July is ideal. So April 20 is the perfect early date for Autos. If you don't have a hoop house, cold frame, or shuttle them between outside and inside wait until May.

Robrites nailed it. From Washington to Eugene, Mother's Day is usually around the earliest you can put plants out in the ground without shelter. It varies year to year. Sometimes the ground's cold and closer to May 20 is better. Sometimes it warms up early, 70 degree days in early May and you can start earlier, May 5.
I have a protected area next to the house, I can put my plants out in April. I've started Autos around April 1, shuttling them between outdoors and indoors for the first couple weeks. This isn't ideal, I don't like them finishing in June the weather's too damp. I like them to finish after the solstice and July is ideal. So April 20 is the perfect early date for Autos. If you don't have a hoop house, cold frame, or shuttle them between outside and inside wait until May.

Its been an experiment for me. On here learning is cool so thanks guys for advice. How can anybody not enjoy growing? Hats off to you guys in the middle parts of Washington and Oregon. Looks like reefer redwoods!