What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Thinking Vertically 101 : The Build & Grow

420ish

that was last crop .about 9 zips a plant.girl scout cookies.the crop that just finished is 3 gg4 and 1 gsc.when i was doing this in soil i used 2 and 3 gallon smart pots and did any where from 6 to 11 zips a plant in those small conmtainers.i did have to feed almost every watering though .
here is the 3 gg4 and gsc right before chop.cant really see the gsc on the right wall

Boyd Crowder

Teem MiCr0B35
yeah bro - vertical for me is a necesity - im gettin .5gpw if im lucky in my scrogs
i chose 1o gals for the main girls and will prolly do 3 and 5's as fill instill i get this figured out. might be taking clones bout halfway through from the 3 new girls and the gg4 i think the gg4 might prefer a late clone period opposed to my terrible success in veg

420ish

i only do 4 plants around the 2 600.my cabinet is 4 foot by 4 foot by 6 foot high.wheni first started doing donuts around a single 600 i started with 8 plants then went to 6 plants then settled on 4 as the best solution for myself.the plants crowd ed themselves and fought for light having 8 and i had alot of larf.trimming and tieing up make a huge difference in quality and quantity.the goriilas were trimmed good and the girl scout wasnt.it was an older plant with a huge stem.it looked good till i was chopping and then i found alot of larf that was blocked from good light..the girl scout takes a much longer veg then the gorrila.

Boyd Crowder

Teem MiCr0B35
thats funny, i was gifted a "gsc" seed from a friend, it came from a # of gsc and sprouted a girl. its in flower now and damn if she dont look like a well,,a gsc . dunno if its a cross or nanner, but in six weeks or so , we'll see what she does
even if shes just half, she chould be interesting
i took a couple clones they in veg right now, and yes they are slow at vegging. and fwiw the clone were cut from the lowest two branches

Boyd Crowder

Teem MiCr0B35
I decided to keep the mover and stack the bulbs . this leaves an aisle through the room.
I likes that i can now get anywhere in there.

Room is way cooler, i mean 10-15* cooler. Im not gonna do a complete update right now,
But heres a couple pics till tomorrow.

picture.php

picture.php
picture.php
picture.php

Boyd Crowder

Teem MiCr0B35
I like the hanging pots. What happens if you overwater though? You make it rain?

i pull em out, soak em drain em and pop em back in!
Those lil guys are an experiment, and we need some weed in the lean months between harvests.

they dont seem to mind the lil pots, but they are fed mostly with fish sauce. theyve been topdressed and fed with a lil food under there a couple weeks ago. and ill prolly stop feeding in a couple weeks anyways. I cant wait to see their roots!

Im gonna wait till the stretch is over till i drop more in there, hopefully there will be no room for them, but i have some more ready
just in case.

Chunkypigs

passing the gas
Veteran
i pull em out, soak em drain em and pop em back in!
Those lil guys are an experiment, and we need some weed in the lean months between harvests.

they dont seem to mind the lil pots, but they are fed mostly with fish sauce. theyve been topdressed and fed with a lil food under there a couple weeks ago. and ill prolly stop feeding in a couple weeks anyways. I cant wait to see their roots!

Im gonna wait till the stretch is over till i drop more in there, hopefully there will be no room for them, but i have some more ready
just in case.

if there is anyway to drip on the plants below you will and it will ruin the lower flowers when they get to later flowering with those drips. been there…
I had up to 40 different sized plants all jammed into a 5 x 5 with a bare thousand trying to squeeze grams from a watt...

I run soil in vert. my closet is bigger tho. 6 wide 8 deep 7 high.
designed to solve the problem of run off or wet smart pots rotting the buds of neighboring plants.
I have screws that i run ties to and also bamboo stakes for control.
picture.php

it's really hard for me to maintain an aisle in practice unless I do it with a mixed room with immature plants providing the space.
even so the plants in the bottom row get beat from me moving past them.
I used to do perpetual with the new plants in the bottom for three weeks.
I'm trying this bridge between the bottom shelves and i'll pull out the bottom plants while watering and training.

picture.php

before the bridge, where's the aisle?
picture.php

good luck!

Boyd Crowder

Teem MiCr0B35
thanks for those tips chunk, Im thinking maybe a funnel and some tubing to drain off the drips, ill slap some rigged up something under there when its time.

rykus

Here is how we do narrow... def wider at 7ft but is lots of 1000's.... we did stadiums like chunky too... be better reusing dirt, but the #'s where high so no go if your legit here.... was nice n fast though, yield was around the same if time wasnt factor..

rykus

Well... cheap and productive.... will angle ceilings to create whole room shade effect and paint white for clean/mould and make it look better,lol

but yeah, if you hung 2 six's up and one downs would fill a lot of 3d space! with big trees, if you keep a single main stem then prune side brances you can get them short and strong so turning big hedging cedar looking plants, but anyway you fill the space with bud is fine.

like i said though for lower work load and nice product i like to spin my trees... we emptied our stadiums and they where double the soil cost, and clones was up by a ton.

i got the staggered light by a guy that did shelves of 3 gal, and the whole floor! room was just packed and he did 2.5 even with smaller nugs.... big #'s though again...

Boyd Crowder

Teem MiCr0B35
i dont need the shelves just yet , since i only have one space to flower , its 2-3 months veg time for next batch , and to chuck some seeds of new stuff, then its ready for more trees.

Im still lernin and gettin my stable together, so far I have c99 (which i think i wanna see if theres something even better in that pack or maybe try an score some bros grimm), a gg4 x c99 x? thats sooooofaking loud, and the rest of the new stuff which includes gg4 and what appears to be a gsc s1 bagseed girl. i also have some hindu kush bagseed, as well as 2 other packs i havent tried .... so u see, I cant do everything at once :(
But I can and will pop that HK and one of the new packs in a few days or so, gotta keep looking for a few more good strains.

But then again, I may just wait till the stretch is thru and see what sort of space can be taken advantage of , and fill some in as necesary :)

Tynehead Tom

if there is anyway to drip on the plants below you will and it will ruin the lower flowers when they get to later flowering with those drips. been there…
I had up to 40 different sized plants all jammed into a 5 x 5 with a bare thousand trying to squeeze grams from a watt...

I run soil in vert. my closet is bigger tho. 6 wide 8 deep 7 high.
designed to solve the problem of run off or wet smart pots rotting the buds of neighboring plants.
I have screws that i run ties to and also bamboo stakes for control.
View Image

it's really hard for me to maintain an aisle in practice unless I do it with a mixed room with immature plants providing the space.
even so the plants in the bottom row get beat from me moving past them.
I used to do perpetual with the new plants in the bottom for three weeks.
I'm trying this bridge between the bottom shelves and i'll pull out the bottom plants while watering and training.

View Image

before the bridge, where's the aisle?
View Image

good luck!

EUREKA! LOL thx for posting those pics. I've been scouring this site since I joined up a few weeks back, trying to get inspired for the new room. If ya don't mind, I'm gonna do my darndest to duplicate that room you got there :biggrin:

Boyd Crowder

Teem MiCr0B35
time for an update yall

#1 - im at day 18 or so and they look pretty impressive so far. nodes are surprisingly close with very little stretching. I attribute this to the light proximity and the sst i applied at the flip.
#2 the light mover idea seems to be a solid theory as there is no spot in the room thats dark and the girls are cozy with a bulb this close a few dozen times a day.
#3 Im astounded at the coverage and canopies opening up. im still apprehensive with gutting out the middle of the girls, so im working in there slghtly more than 5 minutes a day. the maintenance this is requiring isnt as bad as i had assumed. I might remove 30-50 leaves a day or two, bend/snap some tips into the front and train a bit more, but this is alot more fun than a scrog.
#4 had a borg blemsh on one girl - maybe 20 small leaves on the bottom of my rgt. i dialed the light down to 300w and sprayed the room with azo last week for the speedbump, this week ill go for the kill, and next week should be the last treatment ill need. fuck the borg
#5 ill be makeing a tea this week, they prolly need it, funny though , i havent had to water much these first weeks, thats unusual for me
#6 my room is much easier for my ac to cool now - i can go into the 60's anytime i want and keep it there. so atm im keeping her around 77 and between 40-50 rh - id say perfect for my setup so far.
#7 access to the entire grow is 100% now. No ducking under screens, no radiant hoods leaking 95* air , no 6' tall bitches with little training and small yields.
#8 the option of small pots in flower is intriguing, but ive found theres little margin for error
in 3qt pots , its either diligence or death for my door hangers, maybe ill try a slightly larger pot for the gap fillers , i could use suggestions on no drip pots in a sub 2gal size. I wanna be able to water them and not worry about runoff , any ideas ?

so thats a brief rundown heres them pix

Latest posts

Latest posts