What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Scooby again, I don't know what to do.......

Stoner4Life

Medicinal Advocate
ICMag Donor
Veteran

while we were all sleeping in bed Scooby attacked Alice again, she would not break off her attack even when I broke them apart, Scooby kept lunging and lunging & latching onto Alice. The fight spilled onto the floor where Alice took shelter in the large wire kennel, at that point Scooby turned and latched onto me several times tearing up my left arm and hand fairly badly, worst dog bites I've ever taken.

Alice is licking her wounds & I had to call a friend @ 4:30am to get me some hydrogen peroxide, I cleaned my wounds with straight alcohol in the meanwhile.

After checking Alice she has several punctures along her snout, I could see Scooby going after her nose in the fight, Alice was crying out in pain and shock; finally when Scooby turned her attack on me Alice went to the kennel, when Scooby let go of me she also went into the large wire kennel with Alice. Luckily they didn't tangle in there or I would have had a hell of a time separating them whilst in there.

5f85e0dd-ac62-49e4-8df7-9a951b84afee_zps103eeaee.jpg

468f172f-1c66-466c-a16f-4260db8e18ca_zpsa18672fb.jpg

c54b6e62-0674-4c9a-a6d2-ab9310aed85a_zps2e6432da.jpg

it's worse than it looks, several wounds are deep enough to require stitches which I'll pass on. She even got me high on the lower arm, just below the elbow.

I adopted her and promised to do everything I could to better her life, I have no right to destroy her, to put her down. But I could NEVER allow her to go to another home, she could harm a child imho. And if I'm going to separate Alice & Scooby then it would be @ Scooby's expense with loads of extra kennel time (we've got kennels big & small) until Alice passes, once that happens we're a one dog household again.

======================================

my first thought was to take her outside & shoot her but decisions made in haste are often the most regretful ones. I did stick my hands into a dog fight but have done so in the past w/o any consequence so I take some blame here myself, on the other hand it was necessary to do to save Alice from being shredded, Scooby was particularly fucking vicious this time.

Until Alice passes on I'll be tasked with keeping the girls separate while in the house but I'll allow them to go outside together and to have their 2 daily meals together as usual as the bowls are set in different corners of the room.

So maybe poor Scooby is damaged goods somehow, never mind 'maybe', she's been damaged somewhere, but she's my little flake so I'm gonna do what I can.

of course if she ever goes after me like this again.......:shooty:

shawkmon

Pleasantly dissociated
Veteran
ya might have to alpha up and beat the dogs ass, a little late now but , its either that or ya have to put it down, i had a rottie that killed a couple of cats, the last time i pretty much rubbed her face in the blood hard, and then beat her ass good , and she never ever even looked at a cat again, and would let the cats eat out of her bowl. sounds ruff but thats how the animal kingdom does it.

edit, ah ya had dog over a year, seen a dog recently with weird behavior that ended up being a braintumor

MJBadger

Veteran
S4L , I have followed your dogs since you lost that sexy lady Kayla & I know how hard you worked finding a friend for Alice but Scooby ain`t no friend .
Shock collars need wrapping round the dog owners genitalia & put on full belt , I know you have used one but my own opinion is that you never cause or pain distress to any animal then expect it to love & respect you .
I know you want to give Scoobs every chance & you have been monitoring him vigilantly but you know it will happen again .
I suffered attacks from my rescue AB but the 4th attack was the final straw & ever since have regretted having her put down but like Scooby she couldn't be trusted 100% .
Maybe Scoobys best chance is with another owner & the only dog in the house , you will end up hating him if Alice really gets hurt .

rives

Inveterate Tinkerer
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I love dogs, but having one around that will willingly bite you is beyond my understanding. That dog needs to be put down. When I was a kid, we had a family friend that was CHP and had a Saint Bernard. The dog went after several people as it got older, including trying to take my younger brother's face off. They always had an excuse for the dog until it eventually got ahold of it's owners hand and chewed on it it until it got tired of chewing - when the owner finally got away, he went in the house, got his service revolver and ended the problem. The damage to his hand retired him, however.

BlueBlazer

What were we talking about?
Veteran
S4L, you may not like to hear this, but I have a strict rule about my dogs. Attack me, my wife, or my kids and you are gone. One time is too many. JMHO

If Alice is maternal, maybe a puppy is the answer. It has done wonders for Missy.

Stoner4Life

Medicinal Advocate
ICMag Donor
Veteran

I've been given a thousand '2nd chances' in my life and the older I get the more I respect or appreciate the sanctity of life, every life.

I'll review my options on Monday with my vet, I'd rather have her in a muzzle when socializing w/Alice than lying in the ground.

rives

Inveterate Tinkerer
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
S4L, I certainly appreciate your attitude, but from what you said above, Scooby went after YOU when Alice was no longer available. Getting accidentally bitten in the course of trying to break up a dog fight is a far different matter than a dog that intentionally goes after their human, in my view. Best of luck in getting this humanely and safely resolved.

shawkmon

Pleasantly dissociated
Veteran
i say another owner with no other dogs would be fine , i think it might have been in kill mode and didnt know it was biting you, was that the case or ya think it was n purpose at you? its not humAN agressive just other dogs? ive seen this many many times and it just has to be in the country as a guard dog and it will be fine

trichrider

Kiss My Ring
Veteran
i'll wager that iso was brisk.

i'd get the stitches bro, it'll heal sooner.

this is one of those times where love is tested. you made a choice to care for Scooby and blesses for that, but viciousness cannot be tolerated.

i'm pretty sure the vet will demand you keep her...good luck getting someone else (the vet) to recommend putting her down....just sayin.

it's all on you then and you've demonstrated a kindness and love for Scooby despite being a rescue dog.

...so we have a hint that you'll keep her and give a pass to this character flaw.

good luck...and keep those cuts clean.

Stoner4Life

Medicinal Advocate
ICMag Donor
Veteran

Scooby was in a frenzied attack, she probably bit me reflexively. she'd never go after me in her right mind, she's not like that at all. I was just letting her out of her kennel for some love when I held up my injured/bandaged hand, she stopped, slunk her head way down low and backed into her kennel in slow motion.

I want to sleep on this and talk to my vet, a former pitbull owner, on Monday.

putting her down is the very last option. again, I'd rather muzzle her.

yortbogey

To Have More ... Desire Less
Veteran
in most states... once U report the attack to the Vet.... they are required to contact Animal Control for U'r county.....depending own there rules..... the dog may be quarantined, or even put down....but defiantly will require evaluation by them....

ANY animal attack reported in these instances via a VET/ aka health care professional.....

is considered a public health concern....and will be followed up on....

If U don't allow the agency to due there job w/ the animal, they will pro-sue... further penalty and fines.... w/ the police.....

yortbogey

To Have More ... Desire Less
Veteran
as is U need a round of antibiotic's to offset any problems from the wounds....

a puncher wound usually has bacteria in the wound that will not just get better without medical attention.....

Stoner4Life

Medicinal Advocate
ICMag Donor
Veteran
actually trichrider my vet puts down any dog he's asked to. he does this because he heard of stories where folks were pressured to keep their pets and then have become cruel to them out of resentment. this guy is wise and caring.

adopting her out is an option too, but I want to meet the prospective new owners first and give them fair warning about all issues.

And she gets this pass only once, one more time will def be her last. once is an accident, twice becomes a behavior.

I'll report back tomorrow no doubt.

Stoner4Life

Medicinal Advocate
ICMag Donor
Veteran
as is U need a round of antibiotic's to offset any problems from the wounds....

a puncher wound usually has bacteria in the wound that will not just get better without medical attention.....

I just arranged for some keflex (cephalexin) from a friend.

also my vet won't report my dog bite which is exactly why I avoided the hospital & stitches, they're compelled to report dog bites. my vet is very cool.

shawkmon

Pleasantly dissociated
Veteran
i would not tell the vet about the bites to yer arm f ya want to keep the dog, the laws are sketch in most places with pitt bites, 1 bite and down.

paulo73

Convicted for turning dreams into reality
Veteran
You´re a kind man S4L.
Please take proper care of those injuries, have a good night of sleep and tomorrow you and your vet will find the better solution.
I knew what i would do, i´m not that kind. But that´s why i would never keep a rescued dog.
Too many risks involved.
Last November my wife lost the tip of her left index while trying to break apart two dogs on the dog shelter where she did voluntary work. Again they were both rescued dogs.