What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

learning to roll

artfog

My friends father worked for the state and would have a box of these little bags of tobacco around the house. It was also known as 'state tobacco'. My friend would bring these free bags of tobacco which we called 'bug dust' out when we were desperate. It came in a little cloth bag w/ a draw string and the papers were somehow attached to the bag. The papers had no glue and if you tilted the bag over the paper the tobacco would easily pour out onto the paper. If you were not use to it the entire contents would pour out. It was the cheapest, driest, loosest, lousiest tasting tobacco but at times that was all a kid could get. To roll it was a acquired trick and there were those who could roll it w/ one hand riding a horse. Not me. You would put a pile of tobacco in the middle of the paper and roll it pushing down from the middle out to the sides. It didn't seem like it would roll out right but if you stuck to this plan it worked the only way it could. The paper if moisten just enough & not too much would hold for the entire smoke. The taste was terrible, unlike a cigarette but you did get the nicotine.
This is the way I learned to roll.

supermanlives

Veteran
here we got bugler ,top and drum, papers thick as hell with glue. well that's what I got when younger an poor and usually in county....lol I too perfected the rolls so well others got me to roll for em for free smokes....peace

StayHigh149

I been on this earth almost half a century and still can't roll!! LoL
My wife doesn't smoke but I get her to roll for me, if I want a "j". My grown son has rolled blunts for me...

I prefer glass anyway. Can taste the herb better.

Bought me one of those handy, dandy lil' manual rollers & that's what I use now for a joint whenever in need. All these new=fangled contraptions sure are nice LoL

gekolite

one time when learning to ski , my friend took me to a black diamond slope about a third of a mile straight down ,, I went off and rolled a third of a mile straight down the whole way,,

420somewhere

Hi ho here we go
Veteran
Once you can roll ...

Once you can roll ...

With two hands and a single leaf paper ...

It's time to try it with one hand :dance013:

It takes some practice, but once you get it, it is very impressive :tiphat:

The joints don't come out as good as with two hands :peacock:

TheCleanGame

Veteran
With two hands and a single leaf paper ...

It's time to try it with one hand :dance013:

It takes some practice, but once you get it, it is very impressive :tiphat:

The joints don't come out as good as with two hands :peacock:
I'll have to try one handed then... I roll really nice, straight, evenly packed joints. Two - handed.

I prefer Elements papers as they're thinner than Zig-Zag's thinnest cardboard offerings. You know you're growing right when the cannabis has so much flavor you can't taste the crappy paper it's rolled in. :)

Keep it Clean! :D

iampolluted

about to turn 40 here in a little bit and even I finally learned to roll. took me moving to humboldt to do it tho. used to only use glass if i was the 1 packing but after using some sticky assed weed that rolled well, i can roll a decent sized hog leg the size of my index finger. i'm no where near the best roller but if i can learn at 40, anyone can. keep practicing and trying different ways and just remember, even the worst looking joints still get smoked.

gekolite

I first started rolling with a machine that had two rollers with a thin belt that you put paper ,, cannabis,, lifted up one roller which locked and then made a cigarette type joint, shortly I evolved to two handed rolling,, then one handed while driving

minds_I

Veteran
Hello all,

Interesting this thread popped up.

I have been rolling a long time now (since the 70's) but I just recently started to use paper filers on the end and rolling cones.

It was weird at first but I find it much better tehn non-filtered that I have rolled all these decades.

minds_I

Piel

Veteran
I tried rolling by hand and just never learned, luckily Rizla makes a contraption that even I can roll with. "European" roaches are a must nowadays, can´t stand slimy roaches anymore.

gobbler3447

Well, when I was like 18, I was bar legal, smoking Marlbouros, some way I ran outta cigs, asked if the bartender had a smoke, In a minute or two he handed me one that he rolled, tobacco of course, telling me a profound statement, "Here, you can do your own lickin'. Yep, I will remember that forever. good seeing your still around Hank!

Dropped Cat

Six Gummi Bears and Some Scotch
Veteran
I remember this guy, way back when, he could place paper and
product in the palm of his left hand. Then he would place his right
hand on top of his left and push his hands together and roll one.

Like he was making clay snakes. Blew my mind.

Dropped Cat

Six Gummi Bears and Some Scotch
Veteran
picture.php

unregistered190

Senior
Veteran
Somewhere around 30 years ago I learned to roll using a dollar bill and zig-zags. 30 years later I still use Zig-Zags, just no need for the dollar bill :laughing: