What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

dog advise please...

SourDog

I've got a beagle(30lbs) and a small breed dog(10lbs)...

The problem i have is the beagle always harrasses the small dog. its an ongoing thing, and im concerned because the beagle has previously broken the small dog's tail and i dont want anymore broken bones.

Can anyone recommend any action to keep the beagle from misbehaving/being so aggressive?

-The small dog likes cannabis smoke by the way(keepin this thread more toker's den friendly).

Last edited:

Nikijad4210

Veteran
Not sure if there is anything you can do if it's not a friendly relationship between the 2. They best thing you could do if it's a very aggressive "relationship" would be to keep one dog and get rid of the other. There's no logical reason a dog should suffer in that kind of environment.

SourDog

well the small one is mine, the beagle is my gf's, so i cant really get rid of one of them. they get along most of the time, but the beagle sometimes likes to get too playful.. the small one fights back, and the beagle usually doesnt hurt her that much, its just really irritating when they get into it - plus the fear that she might get hurt..

also, the beagle attacks my dad's labrador(90+lbs) in a very hateful way - im thinking about getting the beagle a muzzle til he warms up to my dads dog next time my dad comes to visit (so he wont bite my dads dog - which doesnt fight back in anyway).

bluebublelove

how old is your beagle? have you tried the old fashion....I'm boss pop beagle on the ass and teach him that everyime he gets aggresive with little dog, hes gonna get popped. My dogs and cats alike respond to a single noise from my mouth or a simple click with my toungue....same two sounds everytime...one is a stop noise and the other is a come here click...they are very obedient....dogs will most always listen to you if you are truly in control and consistent with it.

Nikijad4210

Veteran
Well, beyond maybe some obediance schooling, I really don't know what to suggest, Sour...

BBL, I know what you mean about training them to answer/respond to sounds. My cats know that a couple of pats on the side of the leg means "come here", they know the flick of a finger means "quit that" (long story) They respond to verbal commands, such as "come on/come here", "sit", "lay down". Our kitten knows a kiss-kiss noise means "the human wants a nuzzle of affection." :biglaugh:
Nothing really important, they're well-behaved animals, but it just furthers the depth of human-animal communication a bit.

G

Hello SourDog...

A dog has needs that extend past love, food, and water. They need to be challenged at all times. Physically and mentally. If a dog isn't being challenged they get bored. And a bored dog is a dog in trouble. They chew, don't listen ( lack of pack leader), lash out/ aggressive behavior ect...

My best advice to get started is to walk them for 1/2 hr. EVERYDAY-FOREVER. When walking use a choker collar (learn how its properly used ) and lead- you must be alpa always. Don't let them so much as pee unless you offer it to them. The walk doesn't seem to be like much excercise, but it is mentally to the mutt. You now how tired you get when driving all day? Same principle- mentally tired. A dog needs this. A dog is also more trainable when mentally tired. Just like the Marine Corp. They beat you down before the real lessons begin.

As with dealing with the immidiate problem---flip the aggresser over on its back and stare it in the eyes till it submits. Also let the victim stand over the aggresser while you do this. This method works on hunting pits remarkabley well. Keep in mind , nothing works the first time. Training takes dedication and patience.

Hope this helped...
Seed

mrjim5000

You have to divert the beagles attention everytime goes for the smaller dog. A water-pistol is good. Gives the dog a short sharp shock and diverts its attention from what it is doing.

Negative reinforcement is what you need. Everytime the beagle is bad, lock it in a room by itself for 10 minutes. You have to do it every time he\she misbehaves, that way it will learn that going for the smaller dog just results in being wet and locked up alone.

Don't let the beagle be overly agressive with you and others aswell. Its can be hard work, but once they are trained and know their place you can enjoy the dog so much more...

G

i agree with spreadingseed...you have to re-establish the "pack order". by putting the agressive dog on his back when he acts up you will re-establish your alpha position and by letting the other dog "witness" this you can try to put them into a bravo/bravo situation. your gonna need to do this a.s.a.p. everytime the beagle gets nasty.
this might sound utterly ridiculous..but ya gotta become a dog for a few minutes and become the agressor alpha as soon as he attacks the little guy..this will reinforce that you the alpha will not tolerate the behavior. it'll take a few times but he'll get it. dont be ashamed to growl too..lol when you have him on his back...(yes...i know how stupid it sounds):D

G

bluebublelove said:
dogs will most always listen to you if you are truly in control and consistent with it.

unless dealing w/ an emotionally or mentally retarded animal, blebublelove is right on

honestly, you and your GF have to work together and be on top of the situation. but, your efforts will pay off in the long term.

I'm currently going through the process of putting down my smaller dog. He's just gotten too old...very sad.

G

you might try crating(kenneling) the smaller dog, and bringing it closer to the older dog(loose), and repremand the older dog each time it shows its tendencies.. keep moving it closer to the crated dog in the same room until both dogs are calm..keep correcting the bigger dog, it will take awhile, but it works

that method works with getting dogs along wiht cats in the same house, same method we used ( isaw it on the dog whisperer of all things, lol)

and keep them BOTH socialized well in public like SS said..good advice

Last edited:
G

dude get a squirt gun and everytime he starts messing with the other one squirt him,if that doesent work have the little guy go to attack dog school so he can do some dogfoo on that beagle lol. peace magic