What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Stop the presses--F.D.A. declares condoms prevent pregnancy

I.M. Boggled

Certified Bloomin' Idiot
Veteran
Source:
MotherJones.com...
Novenber '05

Stop the presses--F.D.A. declares condoms prevent pregnancy

The Food and Drug Administration has released a 63-page report that declares, among other things, that latex condoms are effective in preventing pregnancy and in reducing the risk of infection from sexually transmitted diseases and AIDS.
The report will form the basis on new condom packaging in the United States.

The F.D.A.'s report also concludes that latex condoms are less effective against genital herpes, syphillis, and the human papillomavirus than they are against potential pregnancy and other STD's.

The human papillomavirus--the leading cause of cervical cancer--has become the subject of a new right-wing campaign to "protect" girls from being sexually active.
There is now a vaccine that can be given to protect against the human papillomavirus, and it is expected to be submitted to the F.D.A. for approval soon.
However, it is most effective when given to pre-teen girls, which has some conservatives in a dither.
Bridget Maher of the Family Research Council, for example, has stated that "giving the HPV vaccine to young women could be potentially harmful, because they may see it as a license to engage in premarital sex."

Of course, multiple studies, such as the ones done by the World Health Organization, have been done about the effectiveness of using latex condoms, both alone and in combination with a spermicide.
But in the past several years, many attempts have been made to promote the idea that condoms are ineffective.
Three years ago, the Centers for Disease Control replaced their online fact sheet about condom use with one that omitted important information about condom use, and a hallmark of the Bush administration's school abstinence program has been the promotion of the idea that condoms are not effective.

The White House has gotten assistance from the Catholic Church in its campaign to discourage condom use.
In 2003, Cardinal Alfonso Lopez Trujillo, president of the Vatican's Pontifical Council for the Family, told the Fourth World Meeting of Families that condoms are not effective in preventing pregnancy.

The new F.D.A. report has drawn criticism from Oklahoma Senator Tom Coburn, who also happens to be a physician.
Coburn calls the report "misleading," and that condom labels provide "dangerous reassurance."
Coburn's medical specialties include family practice and obstetrics.
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

"giving the HPV vaccine to young women could be potentially harmful,because they may see it as a license to engage in premarital sex."
Wouldn't want and go and issue licenses like that now, would we?...
Hell yeah!, yeee haaah!!! Ride em Cowboy!!! ;) :D

Smile, it's good for ya.
IMB :)

Last edited:

GMT

The Tri Guy
Veteran
Anyone else noticed how the right wing folks are all ugly as hell. Sounds like they are shit in bed too. Why else would they be afraid of their partners having a comparrisson.

diggle

Anyone notice how left wingers are all dumb sissies with no grasp on reality?

Sorry, but generalizations are bullshit....no matter who's making them.

GMT

The Tri Guy
Veteran
Well I'm going to assume that you aren't trying to be offensive, as you say that you know your own statement to be false, but I think you could have tried harder to find a generalisation that actually applied to me, or at least was logical.
No grasp on reality, why coz we think that condoms are a good defence against unwanted stds and kids, I'm to the left of left wingers, sissy, well I dont like violence, I'd rather a logical arguement, is that dumb or just sissy?
Are you in favour of no sex before marraige and think condoms are responsible for people having sex? I think my grip on reality is slightly tighter than anyone's who thinks that.
Generalisations of people who identify with each other due to their beleifs is perfectly acceptable in my opinion. And when they are that ugly, and then claim not to approve of mulitple partners, I can't help feeling that there's a little cognitive dissonance at play.
But many an intelligent person has been ugly, and still earned my respect, but no right winger ever has. I'm not against ugly people in general, just war mongering, selfish, corrupt right wingers who believe in social darwinism and have no quarms about lying to the next generation in order to achieve their own goals. I can't say who is right wing and who isn't, that's their choice who they agree with, but if the hat fits.
Perhaps it was tactless of me to draw attention to the short comings of others, but can you think of any right wing conference that the cameras have pulled back from where you thought to yourself, well anything other than, wow gimp camp. These are my views, and I chose to air them on an internet message board. I have no power, and I doubt I'll influence anyoneelse's beleifs from this, you disagree, I suspect you are in the same position as me, and who is more likely to help either of us if we were in trouble, a left winger or a right winger?

Nikijad4210

Veteran
Well, diggle, the ring wingers to have a tendancy to think more closed-minded than others. Abstinence classes DON'T keep kids from screwing, period. We don't need fundies wagging their fingers saying "no no, don't fuck", what we need is effective contraceptives, effective STD vaccines and better education on the diseases and pregnancy in general. TEACH the kids what their horny actions can result in, rather than preach.

diggle

GMT....no issue with the condoms or any of that. My comment was meaningless...I'm not saying you don't grasp reality.
I'm way over there on the left with you man...it's just that you made an unfair generalization about right-wingers, so I made an equally unfair one about left-wingers.....the only point is that with comments like that you're pushing the discussion away from what you claim to see as preferential...a logical debate.

GMT

The Tri Guy
Veteran
Listen, you have a vallid point, but I genuinely beleive that being ugly is a factor here. It is always the people who can't pull who say that pulling is wrong.

newbgrow

I actually think left wingers are just as closed-minded. Which only makes sense. The only people that are open minded are the people in the middle.

G

newbgrow said:
I actually think left wingers are just as closed-minded. Which only makes sense. The only people that are open minded are the people in the middle.
The person who seems closed-minded is you, right now. :bat:

diggle

^^^You're obviously the close-minded one since you aren't open to his ideas...let's just go around in a big circle condemning eachother for our ideas, sounds good eh?

GMT

The Tri Guy
Veteran
We all believe that our own views are right, or they wouldn't be our views. Therefore anyone's views that don't fit into our own existing views, will be seen as wrong. Anyone we see to be holding onto wrong views, we will consider foolish, closed minded, or worse. So I suppose that to be open minded is to fight our own views rather than those of others. Strange that we value open minds, when to be right you need a rigid and unchanging view as truth is eternal. Perhaps what we actually value is not truth, or wisdom, but company in our own ignorances.