What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

How much water are you using per week?

KidKId

Title says it all. I am going to be growing 3 plants in 3 gallon pots. I am worried about the cost of water.

Where I am, 5 gallons of RO water is $15, then $3 per refill. Distilled water is not much cheaper.

The RO machines are insanely expensive here, and often have tremendous amounts of waste (like 90 gallons of waste per 10 gallons of water).

Before I begin, I was wondering how much water are you guys consuming on a weekly basis, and how much do you think, rougly speaking, I will be consuming?

D

DHF

Bro....You have an EC meter that tells yas what ppm`s your tapwater is ?.....

200 ppm`s is on the lower end of things as a whole with drinking water from municipal water treatment facilities guaranteed , and usually derived from calcium and magnesium deposits from limestone aquifers where the water supplies originate from deep in the ground.....but.....

How they sterilize said tapwater with chlorines and or chloramines can be a factor cuz yas can use the tapwater with certain fertilizers designed for hard water ......or....

Uas can throw an airstone in a 5 gal bucket of tapwater and let it bubble off the chlorine and then use...but ....

Chloramines used for water sterilization will not bubble off in tapwater , so there are things to be pondered although I`ve never seen much damage done with municipal water supplies and hard water ferts.....but....X can be anything so let the buyer beware.....

Pot does well with lower ppm municipal water supplies as was stated above cuz it`s usually made up of primarily calcium and magnesium deposits of which pot plants need an abundance of to thrive and produce accordingly......regardless....

Push comes to shove.......If yas`re worryin bout bein able to afford water for said grow with 3 - 3 gal plants without the costs of nutes and environment as well as adequate watts per sq ft ......

You might wanna wait and save up....and.....PH means just as much as lower ppm`s across the board ...and lastly never go over 6.3 and start out in the mid to upper 5`s ftw.....

Good luck....DHF.....:ying:.....

OldSSSCGuy

My biggest plants drank about 1 quart a day. Hand watering a room of 30 of them was a pain that felt really nice.

brennye

I use 20L a day for 6 girls around a 600w, up to 30L in mid flower.

Noticed a slight raise in the bill, nothing to be concerned about though.

G

gloryoskie

Micro grow, 8L/day for both veg and flower.
Tap water with under sink canister filter.
Total under 200W.

bmaster

On average I use 2 ltr of tap water per day per 3 gal hempy bucket.
I use House and Garden coco nutes that are made for RO water, but I save $$ on Calmag, using tap, as opposed to Canna coco nutes made for tap water, but I had to add Calmag consistently.
By the way..my tap water is 250ppm or EC of 0.5

GDK

High Class Grass
Veteran
Been using 4 liters pr 3 gal coco/perlite and pretty large plants. Thats daily in peak flower.

Stay Safe

Like DHF says, depending on your nute regimen, sounds like your tap will be just fine. At any given time I have about 9-10 plants going in various pot sizes of coco/perlite from 1 to 3 gal with about half in veg and I use about a gallon a day give or take.

festerous

Veteran
Title says it all. I am going to be growing 3 plants in 3 gallon pots. I am worried about the cost of water.

Where I am, 5 gallons of RO water is $15, then $3 per refill. Distilled water is not much cheaper.

The RO machines are insanely expensive here, and often have tremendous amounts of waste (like 90 gallons of waste per 10 gallons of water).

Before I begin, I was wondering how much water are you guys consuming on a weekly basis, and how much do you think, rougly speaking, I will be consuming?

How much is milk?

Chunkypigs

passing the gas
Veteran
200 ppm no problem... 3 gal of coco is too big unless those three are under a 1000 watts.
my 2 gallon smart pots use a liter of water every 2 days in flower and late veg.

I find rootbound in smaller pots to work best in coco.

give your tap water a chance, mine is at 177 ppm and I've never had any trouble.

good luck!

toppin

Veteran
I run a 8 pot wilma system and top up rez with 10l of tap water everyday. Tap water left in 10l bucket for 24 hour with air stone to remove as much chlorine as possible and to raise water temp (tap water temp too cold at the min)

D

DJXXPLATINUM

at that price for RO i would definitely give the tap a chance....take that down a lil with brita maybe...hope this helps..dj

Latest posts

Latest posts