What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Moon Cheese Tree with "interior" lighting

foaf

Veteran
So this vertial grow Im playing with light that will sort of "invade" the inside of the tree. In addition to side lighting with LEDs on each side, I have 4 x 200 watt gigantic CFL bulbs with wire cages wrapped around them that stick out about 20 inches each into the space and should give me some bud in what would normally be a wasted interior space. We will see. A few pics from different times in veg. still a long veg to go, I have a high ceiling in here.

Moon Cheese from clone (Exodus cheese x some sativa/whitewidow cross )
12 gallon hydroton top drip drain to waste. Flora Nova and Cal Mag Plus every 3 hours. Once a day about 2 minutes of tap water.
7 supposedly 110 watt LED saucers but the read 37 watts on a killawatt meter
4 x 200 watt giant CFLs that stick out into the center of the space where the plant interior will soon be, caged. 2 x 5000k 2 x 2700k
2 x 240 watt LED panels that actually read 120 watts on the killawatt that will be moveable and sit at the open side where you access it from
1000 watt HPS overhead for later.

is that enough light? Im still playing with the light arrangement, its a little sloppy looking now but I think it will work out well. So far the plant likes the drain to waste, growing at a reasonable pace with great node structure, and no signs of any distress at all. My last grow was nice, but I didn't like how the roots looked and wanted to try something different again.

foaf

Veteran
So I have 800 watts of cfl on the inside, it will be interesting to see how that forms and yeilds. It impossible to easily get to to prune or check.... all those UFOs on the far side, and two led panels on the side its photographed from, one moved out of the way for picture.

She is 2 weeks into 12/12 and just starting to bud and just starting to stop growing and that's the biggest pictures. Its huge. The pictures are in different times but I didn't keep good track.

So my root theory was tried out this grow. Goes like this. I grew for years with top drip hydroton, then all this dwc variants and such got my attention.

dwc the roots are all fuzzy and fill the bucket if you do it right. but no big feeders to help get the nutes from the far fluffy roots to the base of the tree.

drip in hydroton gives great tap root, but the upper outer media just is root free, and the overall density of root is not as great as dwc

so I did top drip until 2 weeks before flip time, then filled up that 10 gallon bucket with nutes and bubbles and hydroton, proposing to grow a tap root or several big highways, and then spout off dwc fine roots once I turn the bubbler on. It will be fun to do the autopsy on the roots once its done, :)

DamnUglyDogE

Learning the rules well,so as to break them effect
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Excellent looking show. .. Great write up and looks solid..

Cfls rock and I will enjoy watching how it fills in around each bulb. .

Lots ta see here.. I like it. ..

picture.php

View image in gallery

:kewlpics:~:lurk:~ :alien: ~:ying:

frankenstein2

Astronaut Status
Veteran
Nice set-up. I'm always looking for ways to use cfl's and led's as supplemental lighting in my grows. I have a homemade grow box that's about the size of the area you have there. This is what I would do if I was in your shoe's. I would put all of the led's above the plant and try to get as big of a footprint as I could with the led's. Then I would hang the cfl's vertically on the sides of the plant, all the way around. My led penetrates like a fucker, it makes shoots grow underneath the canopy like they were in bright unobstructed light. Then you could keep the cfl's as close to the plant as possible. Those cfl's do work great. I have a tray of 18 clones in 3" rockwool cubes and just one of the 68 watt cfl's(300w incandescent eqivalant) makes them stack nodes like crazy, because I have it only 2-3 inches from the tops. Rock it out man. Whatever you choose to do i'm sure will work, just giving ya my .02.

wildgrow

, The Ghost of
Veteran
Nice set-up. I'm always looking for ways to use cfl's and led's as supplemental lighting in my grows. I have a homemade grow box that's about the size of the area you have there. This is what I would do if I was in your shoe's. I would put all of the led's above the plant and try to get as big of a footprint as I could with the led's. Then I would hang the cfl's vertically on the sides of the plant, all the way around. My led penetrates like a fucker, it makes shoots grow underneath the canopy like they were in bright unobstructed light. Then you could keep the cfl's as close to the plant as possible. Those cfl's do work great. I have a tray of 18 clones in 3" rockwool cubes and just one of the 68 watt cfl's(300w incandescent eqivalant) makes them stack nodes like crazy, because I have it only 2-3 inches from the tops. Rock it out man. Whatever you choose to do i'm sure will work, just giving ya my .02.

Ya, a dome of leds hung from the ceiling would be sweet. And with the big cfls sticking out from the wall at the 4 'corners' would rock that plant big time.

It seems that early on, a lot of the led lighting is getting lost in empty space. Just how big is your space, foaf?

All said, it looks like you've got yourself a nice happy, healthy plant there. :)

EDIT: Oh, ya... Love the way she grew up all aroung the cages.