What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Jnugg converts and goes Vertical!

Jnugg

Veteran
So after weeks of looking through the vertical forum I've decided to take the jump and remove the A/C reflector and just bare bulb vertical with my 400w HPS.I just switched to vertical bare bulb two days ago.Also I just defoliated some of the large fan leaves from the main stem to open up all the new growth sights to light for more growth.With the A/C hood w/o glass or straight shot air-cooling but rather A/C'ng and ventilating temps at canopy were 10-12 degrees fahrenheit above ambient temps but now that I've gone bare bulb temps stay 7-10 degrees above ambient so there is a pro.

The area I am using is a Secret Jardin DR 90 3' x 3' x 6' tent have a 16" oscillating fan taken off it's stand blowing up at the bulb with eight plants in 1 gallon grow bags using FFOF no additions of perlite or anything, and GH Flora-Micro & Flora-Bloom and going Lucas.

I left the 4" 170cfm eco plus inline centrifugal on top of the tent where I originally placed it and just undid the ducting from the A/C hood and left it hanging still attached to the fan,I then rigged the ducting to sit right above the mogul socket and lamp sucking any heat away.The fan vents all hot air to an unused central A/C vent and I soon plan to cut a hole in the ceiling and just vent straight to the attic as I live in hot humid area so condensation is not a worry.

Fifteen bag seed were germinated paper towel method as usual and 13 cracked (87% germination rate ain't bad,I'll take it).Once 1/8" to 1/4" tap roots showed they were then placed into rapid rooter plugs as usual per my methods,and placed under a 4' two bulb T-12 fluoro untill their second/third set of leaves,then placed into the tent under the A/C 400w HPS in the DR-90.

After transplanting to 1 gallon grow bags filled with FFOF the plants took off.After a week of being transplanted I started feeding with the FM & FB @ 8ml/16ml as per Lucas method and to this day not a sign of nute burn or deficiency and these babies are a nice dark green looking healthy as ever.

I didn't have enough soil for the remaining five seedlings so they were gifted to a good friend in need.

Of the eight that remain 50% look to be clearly sativa/indica hybrid and lean more toward the sativa side of things as far as structure goes,the tallest of the bunch with a good bit of internodal spacing.Of the remaining 50%,25% seem well balanced hybrids,not very compact internodal spacing but not as spaced out as the more sativa leaning hybrids.The other 25% seem all indica as they are the shortest and bushiest and display very compact internodal spacing and the lowest branches are damn near reaching the top main growth shoot,good bush quality with these two plants IMO as far as structure is concerned.

After 38 days from cracking these seeds and a 24 hour photoperiod I have three confirmed females and one possible male,waiting a little longer for others to show and confirm sex before culling males.

None of the plants have been topped or really trained so far,just a bit of defoliation to make more light available to the growing side shoots.I plan on transplanting to 3 gallon grow bags of FFOF around the first to second week of the new year and then maybe let them fill into their new homes for a week before I flip to 12/12.

More to come soon.

Grizz

Veteran
dont let them get to tall before flip , depending on strain they probably will streatch to much for your 400 to supply enough light to the bottom half of the plant, grow and plants look damn good

B

BasementGrower

im thinkin about going vert in 1 of my rooms. but the thing i dont know yet is.. i wana be able to use the entire walls for plants.. so im trying to set it up.. so that there is going to be.. 3 different shelfs.. along each wall. then ill place a screen around the entire room .. and weve the branches in n out and shit to fill the screen.. then once screen is 1/2 full flip to flower. fill screen out.. and trim the remaining crap an see what happens..

i wana do this.. butttt i wana set it up so that the plants can get huge and yeild huge per plant.. so i can maybe have 3 plants per wall. maybe 4.

Marlo

Seedsweeper
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Nice grow Jnugg.
I agree with Josey. Don't let em get too big. You'll be left with alot of larf from that 400.

Looks great tho. Good luck!

Last edited:

Jnugg

Veteran
thanks for the tips guys definitely plan on cutting the lower 1/3 of plant material off before I switch to flower.

Jnugg

Veteran
Been busy looking for work but here is a long overdue update...

I flipped to 12/12 on the 11th this month and culled two males so I'm work with 5 females all on their 10th day of flower.A week before switching I transplanted from 1 gallon grow bags to 3 gallon planters of FFOF & have been feeding Lucas formula with GH flora series 8ml flora micro/16ml flora bloom per gallon of water every other watering.

still accepting tips from Heath,DHF, Mega Yields, Marlo,and the rest of you vert guys.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Jnugg

Veteran
we're budding

we're budding

Snaped a quick pic this morning before the lights went out

picture.php

Marlo

Seedsweeper
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Nice J. Reminds me alot of my 1st vert.
Start thinking of how you are going to support your plants. They're already leaning towards the light, and its only gonna get worse. Many ways to do it, better to start now.

Check out this old vert when you get a chance. Looks alot like yours.

https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=115680

Last edited:

Jnugg

Veteran
thanks for stopping in Marlow nice thread. took some monofilimant fishing line yesterday and I actually tied them all back towards the walls.

M-UNG

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Hi bro, what's you temperature without cooltube near the plants? Hola, Good job ;)

who dat is

Cave Dweller
Veteran
My suggestion would be to use bamboo stakes in the pots to tie them to. I use pipe cleaners because they are soft and you can just wrap them around stuff and bend them into hooks, etc. I would steer away from fishing line because it is so thin it will undoubtedly damage and possibly start to cut off circulation of your plants stems, especially when they start to pack some weight on. Instead of fishing line use thinish nylon rope. Looking good in there. :yes:

Last edited:

Jnugg

Veteran
Thanks for the tip who dat is,I'm actually using a loop knot similar to what one would use on a boat to tie off to the pylons on a dock so it's not tied up really tight around the stems.

Temps during lights on stay between 75 and 78 degrees really depends on what the ambient temperature is but lately it's been pretty cool here in the southeast.

Jnugg

Veteran
Day 20 Flower

Day 20 Flower

Quick little update from day 20 of flower.

Things are going pretty smooth although it's been a little warm last few days temperature is getting ready to drop in the next 2 days for the next week or so but so far it's been a really mild winter here in the southeast but at least I haven't needed to use the heater so far but probably gonna need to in the next few days as the temperatures are supposed to be in the high forties low to mid Fifty's for the lows.

Anyway, on to the pics

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

hotboxes

I hear you on the freakish winter Jnugg, I am in the mid east and it is 50 right now when it should be 10 if not colder. I had to turn one of my lights off last night I couldn't control the heat past 84 with them both on sucking straight air from outside. it was 60 last night, tonight its 50 an so far so good with both lights being on. Tonight is the first night of the flip for my ladies so I want to start them off on the right path so to speak. everything looks great man keep up the good work

Last edited:

Jnugg

Veteran
Thanks for stopping in hotboxes.

Yeah really mild winter so far, although better than the winter a few years ago really frozen down here in the South East killed off almost all the snook in my area even the trout were'nt doing good but boy with there a lot of sheepshead.

Jnugg

Veteran
Cloning/Mother Area

Cloning/Mother Area

Figured I'd share a few pics of my mother/cloning area.

Just like I start my seeds in a paper towel and then once they sprout put in the rapid rooters, all cuts get put into field capacity ( dunk rapid rooters in water and then squeeze until only a few drops come out) rapid rooters & then place under a 7 inch humidity controlled dome until roots appear, then they get transplanted into little water bottles or coke bottles of FFOF soil.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php