What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Talking to your plants

mosstrooper

I have been meaning to look this up for a while, but it occurred to me that if you sit and talk to your plants you are breathing on them too.

I wanted to know how much CO2 would i be adding if i sat with them for 5 minutes? So, i looked it up and this is the answer i got.

An average adult breathes about 0.5 L of air per breath at rest. Normal air contains ~ 0.03 % of CO2 which gets enriched to 4 % of exhaled air. The difference, 3.97 % is what you exhaled. One mole of air at room temperature have a volume of ~22.4 L (use ideal gas equation p*V=n*R*T, p=pressure [bar], V=volume, n=amount in mole, R=ideal gas constant, T=temperature [Kelvin]). 1 mole CO2 is equivalent to 44 g.
So, 0.5 L*(1 mole /22.4 L)*(44 g / mole) = 0.982 g

One breath therefore contains ~ 1 g of exhaled CO2

Note: Some of the gases are not ideal (mostly CO2), the volume of one breath depends on the person (sex, age, fitness, size) and the activity. It can be up to 2 L at least. But it is just an approximation anyways.

Seems alot cheapaer than using pub bottles.

bdiddly1

its a good thing to talk to the plants for more than co2-noo a might be a wee bit hippyish here but i seen an experiment from the 60's where a guy had 3 plants(not weed)&was doing all sorts of tests to se if they had feelings,noo if a told ye the results ye wouldny believe me but needless to say he killed 1 plant to see the other 2 reaction&they died of shock(he threw the plant into a hot oven in front of the 2 plants).i saw a medical grow too where the woman who does all the feeding was off sick&the plants she usually tended got sick too,even though they were being fed by her partner!i talk to my plants all the time,then again,i am half tonto mate!
aw the best wea the deep breathing on the plants!:smokeit:

E

everydaygreen

Pleased to see someone talking in numbers about this subject .Thank you mosstrooper

paulo73

Convicted for turning dreams into reality
Veteran
I have a nice chat with them every day and we always have a smoke together while at it.
Best listeners yet...a bit silent when comes to advice though ;)

Mate Dave

Propagator
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I find they like music it makes them change their mood, try hooking up a I pod with a sub woofer and see if they grow a little better, I find that a little stress like the bass shaker will make happy plants.

944s2

ICMag Donor
Veteran
yeah,i sit down tell them how pretty they are,,and do they realize how much i am spending to make sure they get the "best" of everything lol,,but really believe in happy plants and find it quite calming talking to my girls,prince charles swears by it,,so its got to be true,,lol,,cheers s2

N

noyd666

:biggrin: neighbour told me he could hear me swearing all the time in my workshop, thought it was funny:biggrin: i like to give my girls a dirty talking to. not sure about it working though.

vostok

Veteran
cheapest C02 to give them would be just Fresh Air ..Second to that, consider pumping your bedroom air to them, farts and all....lol
I once did a study of playing Mozart on a 24/7 speakers thru an old Mp3 player as a trial,
from seedling to mid veg on a bank of 4' T8's and was STUNNED with the results at least a 25% growth improvement, and will be doing it with all my winter grows

peace
"V"

OrganicBuds

Veteran
Are you kidding me with this thread? Talking to your plants does nothing at all. You need to learn a lot more about growing if you think the CO2 from your breath is helping your plants. Stoner grow tips, priceless.