What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

outdoor in Scotland ??

D

Doctor John

Thanks!

Thanks!

This is a great idea, looking forward to seeing how you get on. If I'm around I might be up for it but not sure what's happening yet.

Stanky Yank used to hang out at uk420, think he changed his name to just Stanky.

Lets make it work. Won't happen otherwise.....

I'll check out the names on UK420...... thanks! :grouphug:

indifferent

Veteran
I'm just the other side of the border on the west cost of England and I have never managed to flower a good plant outdoors here, not enough sun, too much rain. The rain and damp is the big problem, it's way wetter than Denmark here, in fact, the next valley up from mine is the wettest place in the whole of Europe. A greenhouse is a possibility, and you can flower in them here, but you will get very leafy buds of a small size. Even the ones that grow colas that look of a decent size, by the time you trim off all the leaf you get hardly any bud.

Sorry to point to this out, not being nasty, but the Danish buds are never properly trimmed cos if they did trim all the leaf off, there wouldn't be much left. I won't smoke leaf, hate the taste of it. Good for hash making though and the Danes have shown us you can get some great resin production outdoors this far north.

Mr Mojo Risin

Would it be sam-s's?
If so, I was not there, but my younest son was!!!!!!!!!!!!! and a lot of people I know.......
This is way more than a coincidence.... and I'm well into that kind of thing....
Have not been to knock, but was at Eden just before..... in Ae. Rained like it was never going to stop............ may as well have been standing in a shower whilst I watched the Levellers! Rain running down the inside of my coats arms.... horrible.
I live between the two locations..... used to work in Dalry..... some fucking journey each morning in the winter.... on a bike...... my hands were so so cold when I got there......
Looks like we may have people in common, as well as interests.
Looks like a ray of sunshine on a dark dismal Scottish autumn evening!:grouphug:

haha yeah man how strange is this..? same party and prob met your son! ;) tell him to come and say hello next time. co-incidence indeed :) still trying to figure out if we know each other or have met. i cant send private messages on here unfortunately as im a newbie on this forum so dont want to say too much on here ;)

i was at Eden fest too man. fuckin good festival! a bit muddy but lashings of acid and gallons of beer and i was cpt. invinceable! had a crackin time down there as did most im sure. managed to hitch a lift down and up to the door no probs too which was a nice bonus :)

anyways, nice to 'meet' ya all the same man its quite bizarre the circumstances! must be a few fine spots for guerilla growing up your neck of the woods? maybe a bit peaty though? do any fishing up there?

-mr mojo risin-

Last edited:
D

Doctor John

anyways, nice to 'meet' ya all the same man its quite bizarre the circumstances! must be a few fine spots for guerilla growing up your neck of the woods? maybe a bit peaty though? do any fishing up there?

-mr mojo risin-[/QUOTE]

Lots of spots for a GG....... probs with deer and rabbits though..... but I'm well up for it!

Dont think soil will be a problem: I'll grow in the valley bottom, so the soil is alluvium......... should be good.

Fishing: yes, but I'm a bit off it at the moment...... plenty of places to fish though.....

Dont suppose you were in Corsock last night???????????? {Sat}

Any ideas on how to keep in touch without hogging this?

May the bizarreness continue!!!

Mr Mojo Risin

no mate wasnt there, why what was going down? was there another party? ive sent you a message on the other place i found ya. gotta shoot i got mates in just now. :) yes lets get something organised for a scottish overgrow people!! new thread starting soon

Xtrail

I`m from the Baltics,up on 57N..so the same conditions,used to live in Northern Ireland for few years,so I know conditions.Its always bloody hard job,to get some discent herb in our enviroment.I tried out all shit strains like Hollands Hope,Ruderalis Indica,Ata Tundra,Swiss Cheese,Afghan#1 and many more,all you get is pile of salad..so this year I`ll go all the way Auto Flowering..no more september stress,and weather broadcast checks..I`m not scotish,but I think..we need to create some Shitty Weather strain,50% auto crossed with some discent outdoor strain,like Auto Durban Poison..Auto Biddy Early..and so on...guys I`m on same mission..and if one day I will be creator of some shitty weather strain I will share my knowledge with yous overhere..this years mission Short Stuff#1 and Frisian Dew,wish me good luck.

lost in a sea

Lifer
Veteran
not all the danish crosses made by esbe will be mainly leaf.....some a really chunky and dense, but if you wanna grow summit OD in rainy uk, without bud rot, then leafy shit is the best way...

i have some of owls production seeds, they were bred in switzerland and apparantly the weather is quite similar to the uk, so ill see how the do on our shitty island..

anyone ever try it

I have a few times, mostly tests to see if the plants will grow and mostly with males I had to get rid of anyway
the results were poor to say the least if they wern't munched on by catapillers or other insects
they didn't grow with any vigour, I suspect the climate and lack of any real prolonged sunny weather

I have seen some big plants grown in greenhouses in Scotland but again there was no real bud production
just large leafy plants with very little bud, so has anyone found a strain that works in our shitty climate

OP

Hey OP,
Well I tried to take ah look for you and found these.
Getting alot of feed back on autos of course, but got alot of good feed back on Serious Chronic & Kali Mist.
Mandala also shows promise, would be nice to cross some landraces w/great qualities to a ruderalis.

Personally, I think you'll find more than 1 great option from Zenseeds. They also have the Leb27 which is labeled Leb 30, early durban, a fav Hazed Erdpurt & Royal Dane, & a lowryder.

Hope this works man, from what I read, I'd "F" that up if I wasn't checking on them atleast once a week. That's way more frequent than here in the states.

Goodluck OP, you'll find one. Wishin ya luck!

-SD

Pure Himilayan Ind from The RSC, also Darwin Through Hanzf for a look, but RSC primarly.

My brother wants to know what the locals grow?...

Peace,
-SD

JGP

Fingers crossed we have a sunny aug and sept here.Ive had sucess with passion1 here finished mid october and smoked a treat :)Hopefully in a few years Scotland will catch up with canada and denmark etc and have there own super early acclimatised strains.

rocket high

Veteran
here here jgp... we need to get our green fingers out our arse's and create a decent scottish strain.. :smoweed:

JGP

Yeah rocket would be sweet, it's amazing what our scandinavian brothers are doing with MJ in similar harsh climates.You got an outdoor grow on this year?

rocket high

Veteran
i really want to do one ... but as ive found before there isnt a strain that can handle our shit weather... but typhoon's or leb will be the ones to go for .. but they will need to be grown here for years to get them to stabilise in our climate... but you gotta try huh :smoweed:

rocket high

Veteran
Am going for it ......getting some auto flowering seeds on monday but what ones are most mold resistant? ... i like the look of ak47 X ruderalis what do you guys think ?

esbe

hybridsfromhell
Mentor
Veteran
i just grounded a local scotish strain crossed to a nice afghan\nepal hybrid. dunno anything on the local one. i will keep you updated

rocket high

Veteran
really thats cool where did you get the scottish strain your talking about .... do you know esskie he's trying to breed a decent strain for our climate i think he got some typhoons a few months back but ive not heard from him for a few months ..

esbe

hybridsfromhell
Mentor
Veteran
good stuff, i do what i can to find you dudes some fair strains. your even a bit worse than denmark, so doing something right for you is a great challenge. the local scottish hybrid i have is from a local grower and breeder named eno(sagaseeds), i have been a friend and fan for years. dunno where he got it originally but i will investigate

treewizard

I'm not Scottish but I did have an idea. Basically look for strains that would be most likely to perform. Grow them outdoors. Force flowering if need be. Then either have males grown indoors or forced flower males to produce enough pollen to pollinate your girls with. Then even if the buds take too long. At least recover the seed. Make sure to do the pollination asap so that even if the buds don't have a prayer's chance of finishing, you can still get the seeds. Over successive generations you should see the resulting progeny to be more and more adapted to your environment. Varieties from sweetspots that are considered land race normally have to be domesticated to western growing(indoor) Just saying, if it wasn't bred in Scotland, I doubt that it will be what you need.

rocket high

Veteran
hi esbe does eno have a ic account or website ... because this could be the start of a revolution in scotland ..... weed that actually finnishes in this climate WOW people will go mad for it ...

i hear ya on that tree-wizard
we will need to back cross strain for years to come to get the perfect stable strain that fends off mould ... do you remember the red beard strain not seen it for a while but that strain is a very good mould resister that might be a basis of the project or something similar along with the typhoon .. but in time we will get there :)

rocket high

Veteran
am doing F/auto's with a friend (you know who you are) ;) we're planting out in 2 and a half weeks so it should be a good grow here's the plott