What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Fermented Plant Extraction - Black Mold on top - keep or discard?

Viral505

I am working on my first FPE using mostly Lambsquarters leaves and pigweed plant in a small mason jar, I do not have Lacto and didn't feel like making it at the time, but I heard you can do it without, so I'm using unsulphured molasses at equal weight plant matter and added a bit of water.

So it is 7 days later now, and I have some spots of white mold looks similar to mycelium and black mold not sure if its trichoderma or not, but its a black mold layer up on top, should I discard the entire jar or do I let it sit longer? I'm afraid to smell it because it has that black mold stuff on top and I'd really hate to get sick. The liquid looks brown though, and looks like it has a "mother" on the bottom, kind of like apple cider vinegar in a way.

Thought I'd ask because I wasn't sure and didn't know, did some searching here and on google but didn't find a lot.

One forum on another site someone said "don't use the liquid that has black angry mold or blue mold" something along those lines.

kylekaz363

That doesn't sound good. Thrichoderma fungi are typically olive/green depending on the species, but I've never seen/heard of a black one. My guess is it is something else. Do you have any pictures? I would probably start over.

mintz

Need a bigger jar and leave about 1/3 of the jar empty at the top when you next fill it and cover with breathable cloth or paper and keep it out of light that should do fine

P-NUT

Veteran
Ive been doing some fpes with just a 5 gal bucket stuffed with whatever weed im using and then put a lid on most of the way and then filling it with water and snapping the lid shut. Takes at least 2 or 3 months for stuff to break down. Most have white and black molds when opened but havent made me sick yet even though they do stink like rotten shit. Ive tested tropical soda apple, stinging nettle, pokeweek and some type of thorny nettle and plants seem to like it. Ive been looking for a lab to send some of each off to get tested so I can see whats actually in there. I plan on trying with lacto and molasses at some point too but just wanted to see what was possible without all those extra steps. Pokeweed is poisionous but its a great accumulator plant and I believe there is no worries in feeding it to plants in veg or early flower. I dont even think it would hurt you if given in late flower because Im almost certain the fermenting then going in the soil would break down the poision. If Im wrong someone please correct me before I die lol.

Latest posts

Latest posts