What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Has anyone ever seen something like this?

Teh_Baker

Is my plant going to give birth to alien babies?
picture.php

picture.php

mack 10

Veteran
yes,you better start running now..

looks crazy, is it a an egg on top ofleaf vein or is the leaf vein sticking out through the leaf?

good eye, never seen that before. what strain?

Teh_Baker

Pictured is the bottom side of a Mazar leaf. I cannot see an egg in the thing... but it is directly on a vein. And whether through or not i dont know, but there is a dimple on the top side of the leaf at the same spot. Almost like it was pierced but i cant say. This is not the only leaf on the plant like that either.

resin_lung

I cough up honey oil
Veteran
I may have seen something like that but certainly never enough that I could isolate it as happening on one plant.

It's definitely interesting.

Is it showing on an easily countable number of leaves or is it showing enough to use percentages? As in 15-20% of the plant vs 8 leaves?

Last edited:

redlaser

Veteran
Looks like some type of gall. They are usually from an insect or mite, but can come from fungus or virus. The piercing you describe from above is the initial injury, probably a wasp.The gall forms around the developing life form and eventually it will exit the leaf.

Galls are on lots of different plants if you look for them, on herbaceous and hardwood plants. With leaves it's mostly cosmetic damage, some galls will kill off branches, pin oaks are a good example of that. They get hammered with galls and there is no real cure, can only prune it out.

Spent a few years doing insect and disease control for a larger company on trees and shrubs, we had everything chemically available, and the best that could be done was killing the fungus or insect while it was attacking the plant from the outside. Once you see the gall it's too late, but again, it was just something people got excited about but only cosmetic unless it was on the branches. Leaves come and go, no big deal.

Latest posts

Latest posts