What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

When is it safe to stop pulling tarp?

panick503

Lol dont know why there is a mad face in the title. Hey y'all. Got a light dep going, and I'm wondering everyone's opinion on when it is safe to stop pulling tarp. They have about 4 weeks to go, and I was thinking about ceasing the deprivation on the 21st. Strains are primarily blue dream and gg #4. Thanks in advance!

Limeygreen

Veteran
What is your latitude, how many hours of light and dark are you getting now? Those will determine when it would be safe.

Easy7

Veteran
Plants flower now here this time of year. Further south is getting less day until the solstice.

Odd that further south in the summer gets less day? No not really.

Noonin NorCal

Veteran
In my parts, my outdoor plants are flowering. I have a greenhouse light dep going also, but we have street lights and cars driving by at night. cover it just so all those glows don't mess it up. we still cover it 7pm uncover at 7 am. What Limey said

Limeygreen

Veteran
I don't have experience with tarping, what I have heard from guys around 49th lat is that august 21st is good for stopping tarping. This was also dependant on strains, more sativa strains you need to go longer as some of them naturally flower at 10 hours of light for them, more indica strains are fine at 12 hours and some hyrbids too, depending. If you know when they start naturally flowering it seems this is quite important to know when to stop tarping as well, if you don't know, I would play it safe and keep tarping, if you're worried about botrytis, mold or mildew, try tarping at 7 pm or so and then when it's dark in tarp so they aren't exposed to too much humidity for to long or even better if you don't mind getting up early, do early in the morning well before sunrise and untarp accordingly in the morning when you will have your 11 or 12 hours of light if left open. The only problem with tarping late day would be humidity rising due to transpiration and you're stopping it with light still there, you may run into the same problem if dew point is reached in the morning but if you have a method of humidity control then no problems either. If it was me and I wanted to play it safe without knowing when those strains naturally flower outdoor at my location, I wouldn't stop until 2 weeks before harvest unless I was concerned for botrytis etc.

Easy7

Veteran
Everything I have grown flowers at 14 hours day length. That is not light break dusk or dawn either, but sun breaking the horizon. More like 14:20 they stretch.

No experience with light dep other than indoor schedules. But I Would not recommend vastly changing the plants light exposure.

At 14:20 in the spring day length plants can go out. Frost permitting. 14:20 late summer they stretch.

farmerlion

Microbial Repositories
Mentor
Veteran
The hours are still over 12 / 12 here and I have 50% flowering and the rest are very close.