What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Are charcoal filters bi-directional ?

G

I don't think it matters but don't know for sure or have seen manufacturers guides. Does it matter which way air flows thru a charcoal filter like a phresh filter ??

Yes, and No. If the filter has already been used for a duration of time while they smelled then when you reverse the flow all that was filtered before is now on the outer edge. So you would be filtering, and the dirty part of the filter is exposed and getting into the air.

These filters work great, just decide in advance which way you want the air to flow! The only time my grow had an odor was in veg... there are also other ways that cost less to get through that short time period.

Last edited:
G

Yes, and No. If the filter has already been used for a duration of time while they smelled then when you reverse the flow all that was filtered before is now on the outer edge. So you would be filtering, and the dirty part of the filter is exposed and getting into the air.

These filters work great, just decide in advance which way you want the air to flow! The only time my grow had an odor was in veg... there are also other ways that cost less to get through that short time period.

I know they work great. I have used them for a few years. What I want to know is if a new out of box filter can be used to flow from the inlet side to the outside surface with no issues. I understand this is reversed for most uses but Im re-tasking it as a room filter using existing cold air returns to vent smoke to the attic area with a Y splitter and back flow damper on a different switch used when smoking in the den. I dont want to spend the bucks to buy an inline filter which is much more expensive. Think of a quiet S&P fan blowing thru a filter for a den for smoking and not smelling up the whole house. Otherwise the cold air return is used to flow air back to HVAC.

Latest posts

Latest posts