What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Issues with weak stem

Badfishy1

Just took a plant outside to flower. When taken outdoors, the stem has bent and the top due to weight I suppose has snapped causing the top to topple over. Any suggestions as to what to do at this point or am I fugggged? I have a couple autos outdoors that I have been fighting pm issues with as the humidity stays a constant 85+ With little wind. Of course less than 7 hours after taken outside wind kicked up and caused her to topple

Cvh

Supermod
You should have put a fan on them while they were indoors. It shortens the internode length and strengthens the stem. You need a strong stem and brances if you are flowering indoors too so they can carry the heavy weight of flowers.
I put a fan on them a few days after the seed breaks the surface of the soil.
I set it at a quite strong setting actually. I really want to see then move just like it would with the wind outside. It helps again pm too.

Try to fix it now with some bamboo sticks.

PdxFarms

It could have been when it was indoors, poor lighting. They'll stretch and have soft weak stems.
Really all you can do right now is stake them up to support them.

Badfishy1

You should have put a fan on them while they were indoors. It shortens the internode length and strengthens the stem. You need a strong stem and brances if you are flowering indoors too so they can carry the heavy weight of flowers.
I put a fan on them a few days after the seed breaks the surface of the soil.
I set it at a quite strong setting actually. I really want to see then move just like it would with the wind outside. It helps again pm too.

Try to fix it now with some bamboo sticks.

Thank you, little late at this point but noted

Badfishy1

It could have been when it was indoors, poor lighting. They'll stretch and have soft weak stems.
Really all you can do right now is stake them up to support them.

Thank you for reply, however I do not think lighting distance was the problem as I kept light close while indoors.

benjuanman

Veteran
Yeah just tape n stake the plant up and you could supplement with Si which helps with stem thickness and strength. It can also help with rot resistance as well. You'd be surprised how strong cannabis can be I've deadset snapped stems near in two whilst training and they've bounced back.

Jhhnn

Veteran
Tape a popsicle stick to the place where the stem kinked & stake the whole thing up.

Crusader Rabbit

Veteran
If the plant really needs support, then a bamboo stake or two alongside into the ground would splint the whole plant including the broken section.