What's new

Will sns-209 kill or harm beneficial microbes? Root aphids....

KayaTheHusky

Thread title says it all. I've got some root aphids around, and I started feeding them OG biowar foliar pack. I brewed it with molasses as they tell you to. They were recently fed that, but I pulled a rootmass up out of a pot today and there were still a lot of aphids on it. I went out looking for nematodes, but they were sold out, so I picked up some sns-209 because I have seen it around. I asked them at the store about it messing with the biowar microbes and they said it would not, but I just wanted to double check with you guys first. I figure it's a pretty simple question and hopefully can get a fast response! Thanks guys.

mushroombrew

Veteran
Thread title says it all. I've got some root aphids around, and I started feeding them OG biowar foliar pack. I brewed it with molasses as they tell you to. They were recently fed that, but I pulled a rootmass up out of a pot today and there were still a lot of aphids on it. I went out looking for nematodes, but they were sold out, so I picked up some sns-209 because I have seen it around. I asked them at the store about it messing with the biowar microbes and they said it would not, but I just wanted to double check with you guys first. I figure it's a pretty simple question and hopefully can get a fast response! Thanks guys.

I just read about a guy who swears by the OG biowar.
So you think it's not working?

209 is anti fungal and has anti bacterial action although not strong.
So yes I think it will kill beneficials or reduce their numbers.

But it will help with any root rot from aphid damage. A pic of the roots would help.

KayaTheHusky

I just read about a guy who swears by the OG biowar.
So you think it's not working?

209 is anti fungal and has anti bacterial action although not strong.
So yes I think it will kill beneficials or reduce their numbers.

But it will help with any root rot from aphid damage. A pic of the roots would help.

Nah, I'm just trying to speed up the process/attack the root aphids from all angles. I've used OG biowar foliar pack for root aphids before and it worked for us. We had them at the start of flower one time but they were invisible soon after the biowar, and we had a great harvest.

I am in a situation now though, where I really want these aphids under control and my mom plants healthy enough for me to take some cuts off of soon.. I guess dealing with something as much as a pain in the ass as root aphids, I should be expecting to be patient though.

I was also going to buy predatory nematodes when they arrive at the store on Monday/Tuesday. We get the hypoaspis miles predatory mites naturally in our grows... for some reason?

I can't post pictures. The roots were not the best looking, but they are still alive and in the game for sure.

KayaTheHusky

I would have edited my last post, but I can't yet.

So yeah, I kind of thought it only made sense that the sns-209 would have some affect on the living microbial life in the biowar foliar pack... should I not use the 209? And just keep hitting them hard with the biowar?

mushroombrew

Veteran
I would have edited my last post, but I can't yet.

So yeah, I kind of thought it only made sense that the sns-209 would have some affect on the living microbial life in the biowar foliar pack... should I not use the 209? And just keep hitting them hard with the biowar?

That depends what is most important to you? Killing aphids or preserving microbial life.
And again I can't know what to say without some idea of infestation? If it's mild wait for nematodes. If it's mental kill those aphids and forget about all else!