What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

CO2 Env

greenalf

Hello,

What is the best way to seal a room? Are there more benefits with exhausting twice a day or is it better to just continuously exhaust within the room?

Kind Regards,
GreenAlf

MJINC

Depends on the type of room you have, one that's something like a bedroom or a something like a structure built within a bigger space. Also a sealed room is for a controlled environment so remember you will need to control temps, humidity, CO2 and air movement

Floridian

Veteran
I use co2 in my 8 by 8 flowerroom and only exhaust during lights out to try and control the ineveitable rise in humidity.I could be mistaken but never saw any sense in exhausting air from a sealed grow during the 12 hours of light.I use a window AC and dehumidifier about the simpleist way to go.

mushroombrew

Veteran
Weather stripping on all doors. Spray foam etc. Its almost impossible to get 100% seal.
Seal as best you can if you plan on using bottled CO2.

I run a propane generator. Cost about $10/day. I take the hottest air out of flower room up high out via exhaust.

My AC keeps my "mixing room cold. This cold CO2 rich air moves into the bottom of flower room. Cold air in down low. CO2 is a heavy gas. I know a good bit of CO2 gets wasted but at $10/day I just don't care.

If I sealed I would use way less propane. But then all that super hot air would go back thorough AC. That would cost 100's more.

You need 3412 Btu's min (5000 better) of cooling for every 1000W light when sealing.

I use about half that in my flow through setup. Nice.

greenalf

Thanks MJINC. Got an AC and a Dehumidifier. Just have to set the ranges. Floridian, yes this is inside a room within a bigger structure. I definitely will not exhaust out given the environmental variables are set within prime ranges. Hi MushroomBrew, definitely have the adhesive weather strips and have found a way to plug the bottom of the door gap. I will run tanks. I see what you are saying about it dropping. Is this the reason I see some enriched environments with inline fans on the ground that are pointing up?

greenalf

Thanks for sharing your knowledge everyone. Got some great input. Feeling confident in the build now. I understand what everyone is saying. Try and just get every part of the room sealed as best as you can, dial in the ranges for the env. controls and get the air flow as thorough as possible. I always wondered why I would see inline fans on the ground that are diagonally pointing up. Wow. I'm about to go foam, tape and wall film happy. Going to loop the exhaust (dehumidifier will be dialed in), AC will control temp. I think I got it guys! Even if I get 95% of the room sealed, I think that should be OK.

the gnome

Veteran
Weather stripping on all doors.

I run a propane generator. Cost about $10/day. I take the hottest air out of flower room up high out via exhaust..

wow
thats a lot of Co2 going somewhere mushroombrew
I'd try to seal sumptin up a bit better.
my bloomroom is 13' x 21' is on propane also
I pay pennies a day
i refill a 20lb tank @$16 every 100-120days
$10 a day adds up, $600 a bloom run can pay for some nice fertz and equipment or cases of great stuff :smoke:

mushroombrew

Veteran
wow
thats a lot of Co2 going somewhere mushroombrew
I'd try to seal sumptin up a bit better.
my bloomroom is 13' x 21' is on propane also
I pay pennies a day
i refill a 20lb tank @$16 every 100-120days
$10 a day adds up, $600 a bloom run can pay for some nice fertz and equipment or cases of great stuff :smoke:

You dont understand. I run an open system. So CO2 gets wasted. yes i waste 10 bucks in CO2 per day. But I also remove tons of heat. If I sealed 100% i would save 8 bucks per day in CO2.
But cooling costs would double. So like 30 more per day. So its cheaper this way. I would never run Bottles in my system. Would be too expensive!
It costs me 10per day to keep CO2 at 800. It still increases growth rates and yields. And 300 per month is acceptable.

Junk

I do the same

I do the same

You dont understand. I run an open system. So CO2 gets wasted. yes i waste 10 bucks in CO2 per day. But I also remove tons of heat. If I sealed 100% i would save 8 bucks per day in CO2.
But cooling costs would double. So like 30 more per day. So its cheaper this way. I would never run Bottles in my system. Would be too expensive!
It costs me 10per day to keep CO2 at 800. It still increases growth rates and yields. And 300 per month is acceptable.

I do something similar, so I know exactly what you mean.

Even still, I'm able to refresh every hour to 1200ppm in a medium/small space for about $1.50 a day.

Bc of the constant air movement (mine is timed in cycles) are you just on a constant drip? <- And that's how you are blowing through so much?

More power to you. I agree 800 ppm is significantly better than natural levels, but $10...dayum!

mushroombrew

Veteran
yeah I burn 24/7. Way too much heat to cycle in the summer. Its 105f outside today. And lights off is 67F.
Lights on 79-83 depending on night temps outside. So AC is the biggest cost. A closed system uses lots of energy. As outside temps are high ( inefficient cooling)

mushroombrew

Veteran
That would make sense. Dang that's a lot of heat!

Yeah for sure. I am going to scrub hot air and use it to heat my house and a green house in winter. An HPS is just a heating element.
My goal in Oregon is a 10,000sqft LEGAL indoor canopy. And a 20,000 sqft Greenhouse. The indoor heats the greenhouse. Super efficient use of energy.
Long way to go though!!

mjmm88

Floridian, yes this is inside a room within a bigger structure. I definitely will not exhaust out given the environmental variables are set within prime ranges.
hey bro, what material will you use to build the room? I'm doing something similar & was thinking of using 3/8 drywall for the walls but wondering if there's better alternatives

Latest posts

Latest posts