What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Where do you source your bulk organic soil amendments ?

Bmac1

Veteran
Hi Paulie, I started a thread like this in the Canada section and it has some good info. I recently made a purchase from black swallow soil out of Ontario and they have a wide array of products at reasonable prices compared to most i have seen.

PaulieWaulie

Veteran
Hi Paulie, I started a thread like this in the Canada section and it has some good info. I recently made a purchase from black swallow soil out of Ontario and they have a wide array of products at reasonable prices compared to most i have seen.

Hey Bmac,

I actually found that page a week or two ago, I should find it and link it here. I liked that website, I placed an order, and am waiting for a shipping quote. I left me a voicemail, and it sounded like shipping would be really high and he wanted to explain over the phone. MY order was for $500, I should follow up again and see what the shipping works out to though.

St. Phatty

My chickens' rear ends provide some awesome plant food.

I just ran out of bat guano so this morning's compost tea was chicken manure (for NPK) and wood ash (for K).

PaulieWaulie

Veteran
Finally completed getting everything. Just wanted to report back here and give thanks for everyone that helped me along the way.

Some ingredients I dropped off my wish list. This is all pretty much acquired locally through garden centers, home depot, animal farm feed, and 1 fertilizer store. Not 1 thing purcahsed from the overprived heat hydro store, which was my main goal. Only the Mykos ordered on amazon, but price wise it was regular price and free shipping so.

Soil Amendments Price LIST - Everything in CAD $

[ ] $33 / Bone Meal / 4.7KG
[ ] $22 / Blood Meal / 2.6 KG
[ ] $42 / Dehydrated Molasses / 25 KG
[ ] $120 / Kelp Meal / 50 LBS
[ ] $25 / Glacial Rock Dust / 22.68 KG
[ ] $36 / Perlite / 220L
[ ] $19 / Azomite / 4.4 lbs
[ ] $18 / Alfalfa Pellets / 20KG
[ ] $60 / Mycorrhizae MYKOS EXTREME / 2.2 LBS
[ ] $31 / Oyster Shell / 25KG

TOTAL COST $406

DocTim420

The Doctor is OUT and has moved on...
Investigate Promix PUR Powder for mycos, it has 80 viable spores/ml (vs 60/ml) and is probably local for you since it is made in Canada. BTW, the folks at Promix (Premier Tech Horticulture) owns/manufactures their particular Glomus intraradices (RTI-801).

DrLongbottom

Veteran
You can save a lot of money buying laminariaceae kelp instead of Ascophyllum Nodosom.
It offers all of the same benefits.
company in canada called North Atlantic Organics offers it for $50 for 60lbs.
The only reason Asco is the goto kelp is because it is basically the only one with extensive studying behind it so far. Get outside the box. DLB

DocTim420

The Doctor is OUT and has moved on...
I can only find alfalfa pellets locally for about $13 a bag. I get everything else on Amazon unfortunately.

Check your feedstores. That is where I get my Fossil Shell Flour (food grade DE) Alfalfa Meal. And, since both are classified as "food items", no sales tax of 8% or so.

BTW, I don't use the pellet variety. Reason? The smaller the particle, the quicker it will decompose/break down; big particles become medium sized, which in turn become small, which in turn become tiny.

PaulieWaulie

Veteran
Yeah I only got pellets myself because its all I was able to find. I also figured if I soak it in water first, let it turn to mush. then spread it out and let it dry into a crumbly powder texture.

Latest posts

Latest posts