What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Pulling tarp shower curtain style??

plantingplants

My buddy told me he saw a dep setup where a rope was suspended inside the GH, along the center of the GH, and the center of the tarp was somehow connected to rings and then conncted to the rope, so to pull tarp you just pulled the tarp along the rope like a showrr curtain. It did drape on the edges of the canopy, but it means i wouldnt have to build a hoophouse. Just two supports for the tarp rope.

Any idea how this is accomplished?? Anybody try it?

CrushnYuba

Yes. You take steel cable and you run it across the greenhouse in a few spots. Use a turnbuckle to get cable tight. You can just drape it across the cable. You could also use rings to hang under the cable like a shower curtain. I have done it and its the only way i would manually cover. Covering over a greenhouse manually Is to hard and tarps get trashed. I personally only do auto depps now though because the system i use is to cheap and easy to justify manually covering.

CrushnYuba

I just saw that you wanted to do it without building a greenhouse. That's possible to. You would just need to build to end walls. I forgot to mention that the end walls need to stay blacked out.

Deezl

Metal Wires every 3-4 feet w plastic wires every 1 1/2 feet or so.

The metal wires are unbraided to protect the tarp and tightened w turnbuckles.

The tarp is on top of the wires. I would love to see a curtain ring setup, that sounds really easy to pull!

Icmag site will only allow me to attach one image on my phone. I'll embed more when I'm in my desktop

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    14.2 KB · Views: 15

CrushnYuba

Deezle: They sell these tarp clips. One piece on bottom, one on the top. It sandwiches your tarp. Use it to attach rings. They aren't the tarp clips that only grab the ends of the tarps. I got them online, can't remember where.
As long as you get the cable tight with the turnbuckle, it slides like a dream.
So you don't do any plastic? Just end walls?

Deezl

Pic was from during build (that's why the door is a tarp), but I didn't add the plastic until full term (rain in the fall).

I've left the sidewalls rolled up the whole time though. I don't have heating or real fans yet.

CrushnYuba

Deezle. I have all these extra plants sitting Around and people keep bailing on taking them. I'm thinking about depping out my veg house. Only thing is it's narrow and short. 12 ft wide. 8 ish feet tall.How would you make cables fit of it were you?

Deezle. I have all these extra plants sitting Around and people keep bailing on taking them. I'm thinking about depping out my veg house. Only thing is it's narrow and short. 12 ft wide. 8 ish feet tall.How would you make cables fit of it were you?

I understand your interest is in curtain cables but two 10' poles work very well on that size hut.
just picture a golden arm without bottom piece. just put that pole on the ground and swing it over.

Deezl

Crushinyuba:
I dunno it's hard to visualize but you loose about a foot (maybe less) of width and height if it's internal. I mean you can angle the wires so that they are closer to the sides on the end that doesn't get the tarp bunched up in it, but I didn't try that. The side wires also have another wire closer to the side of the GH to keep the tarp in between the wires. For a short span pvc poles might work well instead of wires.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 19

Deezl

8" overhang to tuck tarp under (there's a board an inch under the overhang so that the tarp can really get tucked in between them).

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    84.6 KB · Views: 23

CrushnYuba

I didn't mean narrow and short. I meant narrow an low. It's 12x40. 7 feet tall maybe? The way you do it looks really good. Way cleaner then the way i inside covered. It looks like you lose less on the sides. Mine was hanging from cables by clips and sagged.
Was your greenhouse a kit? What brand? Did they offer anything towards your depp or did you just come up with it?

Stone meadow: i have a good automated way to cover on the outside. The reason i want to cover on the inside is because this is my winter veg house. It would add another air gap for better insulation on cold nights. I might even wind up swapping out for clear plastic and leaving it up all the time on winter. With double layer poly it will make it triple layer! Just good infrastructure to have for winter growing.

Deezl

I got the metal frame and plastic from forever Flowering and then built the endwalls myself.
FF sold me the unbraided wire and plastic Filiment.
You could get that wire elsewhere for cheaper but I wanna put in a good word to support their business, I could have gotten the GH cheaper elsewhere but they gave me good advice so it was worth it for me.
They didn't really have specifics for me to follow, but they suggested the wire/filiment spacing and using a second filiment on the side (on either side of the tarp to guide it).
They sent me a couple of useful pics similar to the ones I posted.

Deezl

Ps mine only spans 25 ft long. For a longer span you might want to do multiple spans or use pvc for the main shoulders w supports.

Last edited: