What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

What size pots and greenhouse for this size plant?

plantingplants

I have a bunch of extras i want to dep. Theyre in 1 and 2 gal pots and they are 2-3 ft tall but little to no lateral growth(no branching). I want to transplant and throw up a hoop tomorrow.

If i want to flip ASAP, what size pot and spacing should i use? Ive never done indoor or GH so i have no idea. I dont even know what these small plants will look like size-wise once done. I was originally thinking 5 gals touching but that seems too tight...?

I have a lot of them and i dont have unlimited space so i may have to compromise on spacing. The spot is only big enough for a 10 ft wide hoop but i could take it pretty long, but it gets shadier the longer it goes.

plantingplants

100 plants. Flip asap. Yield as much as possible. I hear 1oz/sq ft is a good goal.

I didnt mean to make this complex- the basic question is how much soil volume is ideal for a 2-3 ft plant in a summer GH and how big does it get by harvest time?

put up hoops 10x40. roll out a 40 ft roll of gopher wire down each side creating a 2 ft path down center. you will have two 4x40 ft beds. put as much soil on gopher wire as you can (I think 6 in is 6 yrds) and plant 5 plants per 4 ft of bed (16 sq ft). run a few lines of t tape down each bed. slam in t posts every eight ft so you can put up horti nova over bed. dont expect a full lb per 5 plants but it is possible. enjoy:)

plantingplants

Thank you stone meadow. I like that idea and I did want to do beds but i'm not sure I want to invest that much time and effort into it right now. I have 2 yds of soil and already have all the 5 gals currently. What would happen if i squeezed 10 plants into a 4x4 space? Half the yield i guess? What if I just did a 10x40 with 5 gals instead? Still possible to hit 1oz/sq ft?

as long as you have time to hand water maybe twice a day I say try it. didn't you have an outdoor last year you pruned out some when you needed to? if you see that's what you need to do, thin. youll still have the pot and soil

plantingplants

Thanks. Yea im setting up drip on timer so no problem. Ill just give them as much room as i can but now i have an idea of a normal set up so thank you verymuch. Ill probably make a thread

farmerlion

Microbial Repositories
Mentor
Veteran
Grow space

Grow space

Plantingplants, I'm 12' wide and 20 feet long. I have 13 thirty five gallon and 4 forty five gallon grow bags inside. I'm going to be over crowded by 6 weeks of flowering.

Some will be harvested at 9 to 10 weeks. I have them staged so it will be even light for the rest after first harvest. The Thai hybrid and Malawi will be done at 16 weeks. The Acapulco Gold may go 20 weeks. If your running all the same strain It won't matter. If your running several a little strategy really pays off in the end. Peace

plantingplants

So 116 going into a 10x40. Lookin at yours farmerlion, i am going to have a crowded house. Theyyreonly 5 gals so i can redistribute as they get cut down. Im gonna watch the sun all day tomorrow and pik the final spot.

I did a different style hoop, hope it works out... The sides are straight 5 ft, and the top is 10 ft connected with 45 degree fittings, and yhe rebar is spaced at 9'6" so the 10 ft piece bows upwards. No space lost on sides.

Speed of green

this is 86 in 13x11x11 pots. greenhouse is 14'x24'

the drip system is the best investment i made in this greenhouse. once the plants grow up you might find it difficult to get access to hand water.

picture.php
[/url]

plantingplants

Oh i recognize that GH. I read through your thread i think. Are your neighbors mellow? Thanks for chiming in-- your #s are proportionately exactly what i have except my pots are 12". Are they 5 gals? How many drippers, what gph? I have 1/2" mainline, then was going to run 1/4" for each pot with a tee for two drippers per pot but not sure what gph. I have a bunch of 1gphs.

Loc Dog

Hobbies include "drinkin', smokin' weed, and all k
Veteran
seed finder has good information on strains, how they grow and their needs. The detailed info is under a link half way down the page, where it says click here to see full plant profile. Google name of strain, with the word "strain" after it, and will be in top results.

Speed of green

The pots i have are a little over 2 gallons, the medium is promix.

The drippers i use are pressure compensating netafim 3.2gph. one dripper per pot.

so you have 116 plant sites, you want 2 drippers per plant site.

thats 232 drippers @ 1gph or 3.8 gpm

so you need a pump that can handle 3.8 gpm at 30+ psi

This would be a diaphram pump, most of them run on DC power.

The diaphram pump is designed to shut off when it reaches a certain psi, since your system is small it will reach this psi in a matter of seconds, the pump will continuously turn on and off every few seconds to try and maintain the pressure.

this is called "short cycling" the pump and it will burn it out quickly.

so in order to set this drip system up properly you will need.

A diaphram pump & DC power supply.

An accumulator tank (to maintain pressure)

An in-line filter. (to filter any reservoir particles)

Also you may not be able to use any nutrients that have large particles (organic) as they might clog the drippers.

plantingplants

Thank you for the details speed. Fortunately this hoop is next to the house so i get to use the garden hose spigot and a timer! Ive never had this luxury.

I notice my atv sprayer diaphragm pump cycles quickly when not spraying. I dont know how to stop that...

Speed of green

an accumulator tank.

its basically a small tank with an air bladder on the inside, the pump fills the tank and then shuts down, the air bladder maintains the pressure while your pump takes a rest.

CrushnYuba

Speed of green is on it. I am using an almost identical setup as he has shown. If you want to save money you can try a 20$ siphon mixer to mix fertilizer with pressurized hose water. Not as reliable as the diaphragm pump and tank.

Point is with that many plants in a small space you got to flip them right now and you won't have space to hand water so be ready with drip. I have done less plants in a 20x60 with little to no veg. Maybe lose some plants to make it comfortable and keep disease down.

plantingplants

Ok i topped them and was waiting for them to settle in. Ill set up the hoop tomorrow. Asfar as plant count, i might just add some extra sections to the hoop halfway through if its too crowded :)

Thanks for the accumulator tank tip speed.

Crushn, i was just looking at dosatrons and being like wtf why are they do expensive... Siphon mixer, thats what i was thinking of. Thank you.

Latest posts

Latest posts