What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Rocks Minerals & Gem. Stones

Capt.Ahab

Feeding the ducks with a bun.
Veteran
Floridian I have a Garrett ATpro. I havent really found anything on the main Indian site that can be directly associated with the prior inhabitants. Just some pieces of thin copper that look something like the remnants of a copper pot that was cut up into pieces.

Capt. Ahab you need to get a metal detector or let me loose on that property,sounds like a treasure hunters dream.St. Phatty you need a thermostat for that hellish box of yours a thermometer is just going to confirm what you already know,It's a small slice of hell on earth!

420somewhere

Hi ho here we go
Veteran
That's a good one

That's a good one

Floridian I have a Garrett ATpro. I havent really found anything on the main Indian site that can be directly associated with the prior inhabitants. Just some pieces of thin copper that look something like the remnants of a copper pot that was cut up into pieces.

Very popular with Gold Prospectors. It finds small gold very well.

To bad there's not a lot to Gold to be found in Florida.

420somewhere

Hi ho here we go
Veteran
Yuba Gold ..

Yuba Gold ..

Yuba River Gold.... click on pics for full size

Where the gold originated

The Finley Hole - Yuba River my buddies mining claim

4 inch Keene Dredge

Bud Green

I dig dirt
Veteran
I helped my longtime buddy build his house in the jungle of Panama 19 years ago.
10 miles by boat from the nearest road or electricity, on the edge of a saltwater lagoon..
This boulder was 100 feet from his house..
A Panamanian archeologist examined it and determined the mortar had been carved in it by native Panamanians more than 1000 years ago. Most likely for grinding corn into meal.
The bowl shaped hole is about 16 inches in diameter and is about at waist height... I don't know what kind of rock the boulder is..

Attachments

• panama.jpg
    panama.jpg
    181.9 KB · Views: 4

Avinash.miles

Caregiver Extraordinaire
ICMag Donor
Veteran
from red feather lakes, one of my all time favorite finds ever:
picture.php

^ large quartz crystal included heavily with hematite, this kind of inclusion with high lustre and red color in quartz is referred to as "eisenkeisel" or "iron crystal"

picture.php

^ same specimen, other side, lots of complex terminations on this one even some small points on the very bottom of the piece (in the shadows, oops!)

picture.php

^ "the baby arm" from my spot near deckers colorado
i love all that complexity of the crystal, so much more interesting to me than the smooth sided clear quartz crystals like what comes from arkansas

picture.php

^ also from the deckers location
these pieces show the secondary growth habit of the location; first a very dense smokey quartz with HIGH luster, and over that has formed a white crystal layer of white quartz with less luster.

picture.php

^ a real nice double terminated specimen from the deckers area location, also showing that 2 tone habit, with high luster smokey beneath the white outer terminations of "bull quartz" which is included with some greenish white material could be flourite or fluorene possibly, also could be chlorite i suppose, or something else even

Avinash.miles

Caregiver Extraordinaire
ICMag Donor
Veteran
also from red feather lakes area; bunch of little terminated quartz crystals included with hematite and iron:
picture.php

picture.php

^ more of that 2-tone material from deckers area, some of this smokey quartz is high enough quality to make faceted gemstones from, a pal of mine had some of his finds from this location faceted and they turned out beautifully, a yellowish chocolate smokey

small pic of a small find:
picture.php

^tabular quartz crystal from the deckers area spot

picture.php

^ colorado state gemstone, aquamarine from above tree-line on mt. antero
i spent a few summers in a row working on mt. antero when i first showed up in colorado... good times up on the mtn, been trying to get back up there

some gems from my "past life" on the east coast:
picture.php

^ top is a smokey quartz from diamond hill mine in south carolina, bottom row, left to right; kyanite from western NC, emeralds from NC, and a pale green beryl crystal from NC

Avinash.miles

Caregiver Extraordinaire
ICMag Donor
Veteran
a couple nice size nugets u got there.

for real those are some WINNERS! bigups 420somewhere!!

last but not least, just picked up these lil beauties:
picture.php

^ grape agates from sulawesi, indonesia
only specimen im posting up that i didn't collect :D worth a pic tho, they are so beautiful

420somewhere

Hi ho here we go
Veteran
Nice Rocks!

Nice Rocks!

for real those are some WINNERS! bigups 420somewhere!!

last but not least, just picked up these lil beauties:
View Image
^ grape agates from sulawesi, indonesia
only specimen im posting up that i didn't collect :D worth a pic tho, they are so beautiful

Everyone, great looking rocks and gemstones. I have to show my wife.

igrowone

Veteran
grape agates? damn that's some pretty stuff
be thinking that has some resale value, though i understand many of us just want to hold onto our treasures

Green Squall

OK, not as cool as everyone elses pics, but I've always liked this rock in my yard. Has some sort of mineral going down the center. Anyone know what it is?

picture.php

From further away...

picture.php

St. Phatty

sort of like Quartz in granite - though the bigger rock looks more like sandstone.

Though some Granite's do look sand-stoney.

So I'll guess, a seam of Quartz in a sand-stoney-looking variety of Granite.

who dat is

Cave Dweller
Veteran
OK, not as cool as everyone elses pics, but I've always liked this rock in my yard. Has some sort of mineral going down the center. Anyone know what it is?

View Image

From further away...

View Image

looks like a seam of either quartz or calcite

sort of like Quartz in granite - though the bigger rock looks more like sandstone.

:yeahthats

bugman52

Bug Scissor Hand
Veteran

:yeahthats thats what i was thinking.

Green Squall

It's definitely granite, not sandstone. I've read old accounts from farmers back in the day who used to curse the stuff when they were trying to plow their fields. There used to a huge granite industry here.

bugman52

Bug Scissor Hand
Veteran
picture.php

a pice of grantic with a vane of green quarts in it.
i got another pice with iron piryte in it some where.