What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

SHWG indoor organic grow and raising worms

growingcrazy

Whats up brother, just read through from start again...

It sure looks like we are running almost identical setups in room size and wattage. Looking forward to what I can learn in here. I just got my room into non-perpetual running 9 plants.

You are doing some nice work in getting your systems in place! The multi worm bin system is by far the best for a family situation.

I have a few questions for you

Any reasoning for not using alfalfa or are you subbing comfrey 1:1 for it? Also which ag lime went into your mix?

What is your veg setup,days,average plant size at flip?

Lets get this thing rolling...

Peace!
GC

GC,
Hey there. Cool we are working with similar and have likeminded goals!
Re: alfalfa. I don't feel it's necessary in the soil mix.

Even though I've been growing in this location for a while, it's yet to be dialed it. As stated previously used to run a perpetual flower tent and that wasn't working. Here's the new plan: 4, 10 week flower cycles in the tent, 3 week veg in flower tent before each new cycle starts. Makes 4 even flower cycles per year, given the extra 3 weeks of veg/cycle. We still have a veg room as well so the plan is to grow and begin training plants in 1 gallons, in the veg room. When current flower cycle is complete, we will transplant 1 gal plants into their 15 gal flowering no till pots, veg for 3 weeks, then flip the room and flower for 10.... repeat.

As far as the lime... and as far as the soil I haven't mixed up batch yet. Recipe is still in draft mode. Looking for a more available calcium source. Thinking a finer grind is ideal too. Stay tuned for more

growingcrazy

GC,
Hey there. Cool we are working with similar and have likeminded goals!
Re: alfalfa. I don't feel it's necessary in the soil mix.

Even though I've been growing in this location for a while, it's yet to be dialed it. As stated previously used to run a perpetual flower tent and that wasn't working. Here's the new plan: 4, 10 week flower cycles in the tent, 3 week veg in flower tent before each new cycle starts. Makes 4 even flower cycles per year, given the extra 3 weeks of veg/cycle. We still have a veg room as well so the plan is to grow and begin training plants in 1 gallons, in the veg room. When current flower cycle is complete, we will transplant 1 gal plants into their 15 gal flowering no till pots, veg for 3 weeks, then flip the room and flower for 10.... repeat.

As far as the lime... and as far as the soil I haven't mixed up batch yet. Recipe is still in draft mode. Looking for a more available calcium source. Thinking a finer grind is ideal too. Stay tuned for more

Gotta be quick...

You are almost doing exactly as I... lol quite funny

Im guessing floro tubes for veg of some kind? This is my veg system, 1 gallons under t5's until they are bushed out about 12" tall ~3-4 weeks. After that they go under a 600 for another 4 weeks in the 15s. Flower room always on 12/12, 5 harvests a year.

If your 12 is max limit you can run, I highly suggest thinking about going vert with 4 trees. 4 in each stage. you would need one more 600 in the center...This is where I think I am heading, less plants and easier to work on.

Here is my newly found theory on calcium sources. Use whatever is easiest and cheapest to you, and supplement beyond that. Go to your local farm store and ask the manager for all liming products and take a look. The barn lime is at TSC and is 2.50/50lbs. Back to supplementing Ca, I put 2 cups of the barn lime in a gallon of vinegar for 2 weeks. I strain out the lime and use 50/50 with h20 as a foliar if needed.

Do you use alfalfa in some other way like teas? Speaking of tea, you have a tea brewer?

I have a 4ft 6 bulb t5 we just got for veg after our old 4bulb kicked the bucket.

I have a big bag of alfalfa but I am not currently using it for anything

24 plants is our medical limit, some people do rec plants in addition to that, we are not. 12 max flowering at any given time. 12 plants with some veg (in 15 gallon pots) should allow a full flower tent, 4 X/year.

re: calcium, I'm just going to take my best guess, then get the soil tested and go from there, that recipe I posted above is still being edited a bit.

I do various teas, not on any schedule. sprouted seed teas, malted barley teas, botanical teas, and worm teas. my worm teas are not made with a vortex type brewer as often recommended. I use microbe mans recipe but don't follow his advice on the brewer, just use a bucket and airstone. kelp tea made with kelp, water and a 5 gallon bucket and occasional whisking is a favorite. I have a fine chinois for straining various teas so I can apply them through my chapin sprayer without clogging. strained sludge goes in a worm bin.

enjoying the dialog

posted this also on the slownickle thread this morning, here is where I'm at currently with the new batch of soil:

"base mix
30% scoria
25% screened top soil
20% SPM (pre-hydrated with aloe water)
15% premium fresh screened vermicompost
5% bio char, charged with compost tea
5% malted barley seed, whole

1). mix well and hydrate with some aloe water if needed

amendments per cubic foot of total soil volume
1 cup fresh chopped comfrey
1 cup glacial rock dust
1 cup gypsum
.5 cup oyster shell flour
.5 cup ag lime, fine
1 cup kelp meal
.5 cup fish meal

here is where my draft soil mix is at currently. this batch will be more than double what I need to flower with so that I can let go of the idea of no till indo gardening if need be and retest amend recycle each run with ease.

scoria, well I like the stuff alot, its got lots of little pores for air and it stays where you put it unlike perlite. pumice costs more and I have a 1/2 yard of scoria sitting here now.

comfrey and malted barley seed seem like great things to promote a large thriving (working) population of soil microorganisms

oyster shell flour could be omitted, I don't think its hurting anything even if its availability is questionable, provides calcium down the road if not immediately.

is a cup of gypsum per ft3 a good amount to start with? an educated guess before the test results come back, I understand.

fine ag lime in place of some of the oyster shell flour, is that a better plan?

this speak of too much K in the soil confuses me. I always thought you could have an excess of nutrients in the soil, the plant signals to the soil biology via exudates, what it needs to uptake, and when. that is/was the reason no till organic grows can be successful.

what intrigues me is that it seems you guys are dialing what the plant needs and when and achieving much better plants than I am, and consistently on a larger scale. that means something.

open to critiques and such, excited to finally start testing my soil! going to wait a week or 2 more to mix it, to allow for more thinking about it "

critique, comment, whatever I'm all ears

Still haven't made a new batch of soil. March is a very busy month for me. It's it the werks...

About to share some pics of the 5 love triangle females we got going in flower, there are definitely some different phenos to look at. 20 min and the lights come on and I can shoot some pics. After these love triangle seed plants are sorted out I'm kinda done pheno hunting seed plants for a while. I guess that's good, the goal was to find a stable of killer females and grow those.. kinda boring though. I really wanna play around with more seeds. I should do a hunt for a winner male and make some crosses. I could set up for a breeding chamber I think..

Sluicebox

I figured it out. When Yuppies die they come back as Red Wigglers. I've never seen anything go after coffee that voraciously save for maybe a Soccer Mom

Blessed with some Bodhi testers, a new 88g13/hp cross to be specific,
fat cherry X 88g13/hp to be even more specific...

Fat cherry is apparently a vintage Afghani with large flowers and cherry smells..

I'm excited to get them going once my current cycle finishes and once the selections have been made from the current clones...got a 24 plant count to work with..

Pretty soon.. finally at a point where we got some fire in the stable, and I'm being pretty tuff in actually keeping plants for more than a couple go's

Last edited:
It smells pretty strong outside my house right now, being in a neighborhood, I wish there weren't such strong smells. Garage tent is approaching 9 weeks and stinky, even with a good seal and a mountain air filter. Might be a new filter is needed?

With a 9'X9' tent is a separate lung space to refilter the exhaust overkill? Thinking of setting that up, but again maybe just need a new filter. 2 years old I'd guess. Werkin full time.

finally getting to mix up some new soil. this new stuff will get put into use next flower round in july. the new new round is going in the same ol no till pots. round 1 gazillion. lol.

what I ended up doing is mixing just a base mix today.
30% scoria
30%peat
20% ewc
10% top soil

the chickens are working and tilling this new base mix as we speak. they are after the worms, and frankly I don't mind at all. everywhere I look is crawling with worms. I live in their world and I love it.

happy belated 420