What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Slightly sweetish smell in lung room - not cana but not "nothing"

bigbadbiddy

Howdy folks,

set up my stuff and am running.

I exhaust 3 chambers (each has a fan+filter combo) into a lung room which has an always-open window.

The smell in the lung room is not canna whatsoever, it is more like some leftover beer in a bunch of cans that kept fermenting or something like that. A little sweet ... Like old beer is the only thing I can think off.

Now I am aware that I could install an ozone generator in the room to get it completely odor free but there is some stuff in the lung room that would adversely react to the ozone.
Exhausting out the window is also not an option for stealth concerns.

Any ideas/advice?
It is not a real issue for me at this point as it doesn't, like I said before, smell at all of Canna.
But someone entering the room would likely comment on the weird smell.

Is it the fan sucking the stench from your bathroom or septic?
I have a maxfan 16 and its so much force it sucks doors shut, including my bathroom!

MrBungle

Maybe your neighbors are making hooch?.. Maybe something is fermenting under leaves near your window?

O

OG Tree Grower

Yup sometimes you can smell a yeasty sweet smell.totally normal

gmanwho

Veteran
ya fresh carbon can smell yeasty for sure. u got any mold brewing in your ac or dehumidifier units?? i know my split ac's i need to clean every 6-8months. the shit that grows on there .... check in on the fan blades etc for anything fuzzy or white black grey etc...

bigbadbiddy

I think "yeasty" is the right word.

Thanks, was not aware that is normal.

So there is hope it will go away and that's from the carbon filters being new?

Because I would look towards masking that yeasty smell somehow as a long term solution. Or I would leave some empty, half full beer cans standing around in the lung room or something :D

I had mold in the flowering chamber before I started but I washed it off with chlorine and it has since not resurfaced.
Pretty certain it won't because of the ventilation and heat from the lamps. At least it has looked dry ever since installing those.

bigbadbiddy

Yub, probably, if the smell stays.

They mentioned "fresh" carbon exhaust smells like that. Let's see how it develops over a grow or two, if it stays I think Ona would be the right way forward.

Ozone gen would also work but as I stated above, I would worry about the materials present in the room, some different metals and plastics and woods and stuff. Some of them might dissolve from the Ozone.

So Ona is probably what I will use if the smell doesn't go away after abit.

Thanks for the clarification!

bigbadbiddy

Not really concerned to be honest.

But the lung room could receive the occasional visitor and I am working hard on covering the exhausts in a way that makes them inconspicuous. Would be a bit of a waste if the whole room smells yeasty.

So once i covered the exhausts, I will cover the smell with Ona just to make sure nobody gets any ideas or asks weird questions.

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
It's a lung room, meaning recirc back into the grow. This means no Ona, because the plants will absorb it.

I wouldn't worry about the smell. Take up wine/mead brewing if it continues. Much rather have some additional co2 and alcohol around. I make it old school, without sulfites and sorbates, and the quality is exceptional.

I highly recommend not using sugar and using complex sweeteners like honey. You'll greatly appreciate the difference. ;) Gratz on the new setup. :D